•   
  •   
  •   

Sport Perez decision depends on UK government guidance, say Racing Point

16:17  01 august  2020
16:17  01 august  2020 Source:   msn.com

Racing Point hopes to return to Perez on the second Silverstone weekend

 Racing Point hopes to return to Perez on the second Silverstone weekend © Motorsport Images Will Sergio Perez be able to return this weekend? Racing Point was struggling at the fourth Formula 1 weekend of the season, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. After regular driver Sergio Perez had tested positive for the Corona virus , he had to be isolated. Nico Hülkenberg was supposed to step in, but was slowed down on race Sunday due to technical problems . It is unclear whether the German will have another chance next weekend when Formula 1 is back in Silverstone.

A Racing Point statement said : "Nico's experience of racing in contemporary Formula 1 and his strong track record ensure he is the ideal driver to stand in He said there was a question mark over whether Perez had to isolate for seven or 10 days, depending on which UK government guidance applied

Racing Point ’s revised driver line-up will be announced in due course but they have confirmed they do intend to still race with two cars. The vacant seat is likely to be filled by either Mercedes reserve driver, Esteban Gutierrez, or former Force India and Renault driver Nico Hulkengberg.

Team chief Otmar Szafnauer said on Saturday that Racing Point will await guidance from the British government before deciding if Sergio Perez can return to drive in next week's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix.

a close up of a car: Perez tested positive for the coronavirus © LLUIS GENE Perez tested positive for the coronavirus

Mexican Perez returned a positive coronavirus test on Thursday and has been ruled out of this weekend's British Grand Prix.

He is in quarantine near Silverstone, but has not developed any symptoms.

Perez self-isolates after 'inconclusive' coronavirus test

  Perez self-isolates after 'inconclusive' coronavirus test Mexican Sergio Perez is self-isolating after returning an inconclusive Covid-19 test ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix, his team said. Formula One has a strict protocol for all involved at a Grand Prix with all personnel tested before each event and every five days. str/djThe Racing Point driver was absent from Thursday's official media activities as he awaited the outcome of a second test.

The government says it will increase funding and give new statutory guidance to encourage local authorities to widen pavements, consider road closures in cities and create pop-up cycle lanes. All children could return to school before the summer for a month, depending on scientific advice.

We use cookies to collect information about how you use GOV. UK . We use this information to make the website work as well as possible and improve government services.

Perez flew back to Mexico by private jet following last month's Hungarian Grand Prix to visit his mother in hospital, abiding throughout his trip to Formula One's strict coronavirus protocols.

His former team-mate Nico Hulkenberg stepped in to replace him this weekend and will continue if Perez is ruled out for the second race at Silverstone next weekend.

The British government updated its coronavirus guidelines on Thursday, extending quarantine from seven to 10 days for anyone who tested positive.

But as Perez was tested initially on Wednesday, Szafnauer believes he may be able to return if he can prove he has a clean bill of health.

"If it's certain that he is out for two, then Nico will drive in both races," said Szafnauer. "But there is a bit of uncertainty and we're still not sure if it is seven or 10 days.

"He tested positive on Wednesday, I believe, but I am not 100 percent sure that on Wednesday the restriction set by England was seven days of quarantine, not 10.

"I guess I am still unsure. If it's 10 days, then Nico will drive both (races). If it's seven days, that's only one of the hurdles –- the other hurdle is that he's got to have a negative test as well.

"So, if the virus is still in the system and he tests positive, then Nico will be driving in the second Silverstone race."

str/jc

Pilot crowd schemes in England cancelled due to coronavirus upsurge .
The Snooker World Championships and Saturday's final day of the Goodwood racing festival will no longer welcome spectators due to a coronavirus upsurge in England, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Friday. They were to be part of a pilot scheme to welcome back limited numbers of spectators -- The Oval got the ball rolling with one thousand spectators to watch Middlesex play Surrey last Sunday. "I have said our plan to reopen society and the economy is conditional... that we would not hesitate to put the brakes on if required. Our assessment is that we should now squeeze that brake pedal," said Johnson at a press briefing.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 1
This is interesting!