Sport Alonso cleared for Indy 500 after U.S. visa hurdle
Indy 500 qualifying schedule and TV times; how the 33-car field will be set
Indy 500 qualifying schedule: How the 33-car field will be set Aug. 15-16 for the 104 Indianapolis 500 and on-track times for qualifying weekend.The Saturday, Aug. 15 session will determine the nine cars that will compete for the pole position, starting positions 10-30 and also set up the drama of the Last Row Shootout.
By Alan Baldwin
SILVERSTONE, England (Reuters) - Two times Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso is clear to compete in this month's Indianapolis 500 after resolving a U.S. visa hurdle, McLaren F1 team boss Zak Brown said on Saturday.
Speaking to reporters at the British Grand Prix, Brown said the Spaniard would travel to America next week.
"As you can imagine, with the state of play in America right now it is a bit chaotic, so going through all those government hoops was taking some time but he now has everything he needs," he said.
Indy 500 will be held at 25 percent capacity, air live in Indianapolis market for just fourth time ever
There are normally over 275,000 fans that attend the iconic raceIMS also announced that everyone attending the event will need to wear a face covering.
Alonso told reporters last month he was "having issues even to travel to the United States."
The Spaniard, who will return to Formula One with Renault next year after two years out, has made the Indy 500 his top priority for 2020.
Victory at Indianapolis this month would make the Monaco Grand Prix winner and Le Mans 24 Hours champion only the second driver, after the late Briton Graham Hill, to complete the Triple Crown of Motorsport.
Alonso led Indianapolis for 27 laps on his 2017 debut before his car's engine expired, and he failed to qualify in 2019.
He will line up for Arrow McLaren SP in a race rescheduled from May 24 to Aug. 23 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Brown will also be attending the race, and he said he would stay away from the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of the month as a quarantine precaution due to COVID-19.
Initially hoping fans could attend, Indianapolis Motor Speedway announces no fans at the 2020 Indy 500
In March, it was announced that for the first time in its history, the Indy 500 would be moved out of its traditional Memorial Day Weekend spot and placed on August 23. The hope, by placing the race in August, was to have enough time to make it safe to have nearly 300,000 people attend “The Read more The post Initially hoping fans could attend, Indianapolis Motor Speedway announces no fans at the 2020 Indy 500 appeared first on The Comeback.
The United States recorded 1.87 million new cases of the new coronavirus in July, bringing total infections there to 4.5 million.
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Video: NASCAR's Ryan Newman expecting 'emotional' return to Daytona (FOX News)
Chinese who took refuge at San Francisco consulate now in U.S. custody: U.S. official .
Chinese who took refuge at San Francisco consulate now in U.S. custody: U.S. officialAccording to court filings in U.S. District Court in San Francisco this week, Juan Tang, who worked at the University of California, Davis, falsely claimed on her visa application that she had not served in the Chinese military. She was charged with visa fraud on June 26.