•   
  •   
  •   

Sport Player tests positive for coronavirus at WTA Palermo Open

20:11  01 august  2020
20:11  01 august  2020 Source:   msn.com

WTA says Palermo Ladies Open will go on after player tests positive

  WTA says Palermo Ladies Open will go on after player tests positive WTA says Palermo Ladies Open will go on after player tests positiveThe WTA did not name the player but said she had pulled out and all those who may have been in close contact with her were being tested.

A player has tested positive for coronavirus at the WTA Palermo Open, which marks the tennis season's resumption after a five-month break, the WTA and organisers confirmed on Saturday.

The tennis season is due to restart with the WTA Palermo Open after a five-month coronavirus shutdown © Tobias SCHWARZ The tennis season is due to restart with the WTA Palermo Open after a five-month coronavirus shutdown

The competitor, who had no symptoms, withdrew just minutes before the start of qualifying this weekend for the tournament which gets underway in Sicily on August 3.

Halep withdraws from Palermo Open after quarantine order

  Halep withdraws from Palermo Open after quarantine order PALERMO, Sicily (AP) — Second-ranked Simona Halep withdrew from the Palermo Ladies Open Sunday following a quarantine ordinance issued by Italy’s health ministry. “Given the recent rise in Covid19 cases in Romania and my anxieties around international air travel at this time, I have made the tough decision to withdraw from Palermo,” Halep tweeted. “I want to thank the tournament director and the Italian ministry of health for all efforts on my behalf.” The Aug. 3-9 tournament announced Sunday that the Romanian player’s manager, Virginia Ruzici, had informed Palermo officials of the decision.

Her name was not revealed but shortly after the announcement 130th-ranked Bulgarian Viktoriya Tomova, who had been due to take part in qualifying, withdrew because of illness.

"The effectiveness of the protocols and related controls allowed us to intercept a positive case among the players who arrived in Palermo," said Professor Antonio Cascio, the tournament's Anti-Covid Consultant.

"The same player, awaiting the test results, had always remained in her hotel room."

The WTA confirmed that the tournament would go ahead as planned.

"In addition, all those who may have been in close contact with the individual are undergoing testing per WTA protocols," the WTA added.

The Palermo tournament will be the first on the tennis circuit since it was put on hold in early March.

Palermo in spotlight as WTA season restarts after virus shutdown

  Palermo in spotlight as WTA season restarts after virus shutdown Almost five months after the tennis season ground to a halt following the global coronavirus outbreak, the WTA Tour will restart Monday with a low-key but closely-monitored event in Palermo. The tournament in Sicily, which comes just weeks before the US Open and Roland Garros double-header, has already lost top seed Simona Halep to lingering health concerns while an unnamed player withdrew from qualifying after testing positive for COVID-19. Sofia Kenin and Elina Svitolina captured titles in Lyon and Monterrey respectively on March 8, the last day of competitive matches before the circuit was put on hold as the tennis calendar was shaken upside down.

The calendar has been completely turned upside down with the postponement of the French Open until September 27 to October 11, and the cancellation of Wimbledon.

The US Open is scheduled to begin August 31 in a bubble quarantine setting without spectators.

Wimbledon champion Simona Halep had been scheduled to compete in Palermo, but the world number two withdrew after Italian authorities imposed a 14-day quarantine on entry into Italy for all those who had been in Romania and Bulgaria during the previous two weeks.

es-ea/mw


Video: US Open winner Naomi Osaka speaks out on controversial Serena Williams match (TODAY)

Robert O'Brien, Donald Trump's national security adviser, tests positive for COVID-19: reports .
The National Security Adviser is the highest-ranking Trump administration figure to test positive for the coronavirus. But O'Brien is the highest-profile official in the administration to test positive. Katie Miller, a top spokeswoman for Vice President Mike Pence, tested positive in early May and has since returned to work.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 1
This is interesting!