Sport Tennis-Medvedev tests COVID-19 positive, out of Monte Carlo Masters
Masters 2021: Are these 9 famous Augusta National myths real or urban legends?
Masters 2021: Are these 9 famous Augusta National myths real or urban legends?As with most telling of tales, the stories tend to grow a little longer over time. Or perhaps not. When you have a place as special as Augusta National, some stories—heck, most stories—tend to actually be true to some degree. Here are some of the most spoken-about myths that circulate regarding the Masters along with our own Snopes-like assessments of their veracity.
(Reuters) -World number two Daniil Medvedev of Russia has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been withdrawn from this week's Monte Carlo Masters, the ATP said on Tuesday.
Medvedev, who was seeded second behind top-ranked Novak Djokovic at the ATP Masters 1000 event on clay, has been put in isolation and is being monitored by the tournament and ATP medical teams, the men's tennis governing body said in a statement.
"It's a big disappointment not to play in Monte-Carlo," said the 25-year-old.
"My focus is now on recovery and I look forward to getting back out on Tour as soon and as safely as possible."
NFL eyeing onsite offseason workouts; NFLPA prefers virtual setup
The NFL indicated meetings will likely remain virtual for the foreseeable future, but this year’s offseason workouts are not expected to be fully virtual like they were in 2020. However, the union has offered pushback to an onsite offseason returning this year.As of now, teams can schedule onsite OTAs to begin April 19. This is, however, contingent on no offseason plan being agreed to between the NFL and NFLPA. The union has offered pushback to an onsite offseason returning this year, with Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reporting little progress has been made between the sides on this front.
The ATP on Monday posted a video of Medvedev's practice session in Monte Carlo with Spaniard Rafa Nadal. The governing body did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Nadal's participation in the tournament.
Medvedev, who had a first round bye, was scheduled to play the winner of the match between Serbian Filip Krajinovic and Nikoloz Basilashvili of Georgia but tested positive on Monday.
The Russian, who lives in Monte Carlo, was replaced in the draw by Argentinian lucky loser Juan Ignacio Londero while he was also withdrawn from doubles.
(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; editing by Ed Osmond and Christian Radnedge)
No fans in stands: Nadal, Djokovic miss the 'energy' .
No fans in stands: Nadal, Djokovic miss the 'energy'(Reuters) - Empty stands has been the new normal for tennis since last year due to COVID-19 restrictions but top men's players like Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic said they still find it difficult to maintain their intensity during matches in the absence of fans.