Sport Italian clubs who break away to be banned from Serie A, says federation boss
NHL's COVID protocol-related absences for April 17, 2021
Players in the protocol are: Colorado's Bowen Byram, Philipp Grubauer and Joonas Donskoi; Edmonton's Dmitry Kulikov; Los Angeles' Matt Roy; Montreal's Jon Merrill and Erik Gustafsson; Philadelphia's Jackson Cates; Toronto's Nick Foligno, Riley Nash and Ben Hutton; and Vancouver's Nate Schmidt and Jake Virtanen. Read more here.APRIL 15The NHL has confirmed that the Vancouver Canucks will not return to play from their lengthy COVID-19 pause Friday night versus the Edmonton Oilers as originally hoped.
The Italian football federation (FIGC) said on Monday that clubs who join a breakaway league would be banned from all domestic competitions including Serie A.
Three Serie A clubs -- Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan -- were among 12 major European sides who were involved in the plans to launch a European Super League last week.
"(Clubs) who plan to play in competitions outside of FIFA or UEFA will lose their affiliation to our championship," FIGC president Gabriele Gravina said after a meeting on Monday.
How the Proposed European Super League's Waves Could Be Felt in U.S. Soccer
As the European game gets rocked to its core by the proposed Super League, its ripple effects could go well beyond UEFA's realm if plans and threats are carried out to fruition. It now feels like the before times, but it was only two days ago, Saturday, that U.S. soccer fans celebrated Sergiño Dest’s triumph in the Copa del Rey final. Barcelona thumped Athletic Bilbao, 4-0, and photos of Dest with the trophy, or with his arms around Lionel Messi, were shared throughout the American soccer community. Dest became the first U.S. international to win the tournament that was first contested 118 years ago.
Inter Milan announced their withdrawal from the proposed Super League last Wednesday after the departure of the 'big six' English clubs.
But Juventus and AC Milan were less clear, acknowledging the failure of the plans without specifying whether or not they were leaving the project.
"It is obvious that if, on June 21, the closing date for applications for registration, some wanted to participate in competitions of a private nature, they would not take part in our championship," said Gravina in a statement.
"At the moment, we have no information on who stayed and who left the Super League."
The new rule will be added to the licenses of the clubs and into the regulatory texts of the FIGC.
The new regulation was adopted unanimously, including by the managing director of Inter, Giuseppe Marotta, who sits on the FIGC federal council as a representative of the league, according to La Gazzetta dello sport.
The three Italian clubs have since continued to defend the idea of reform in European football.
"Football is no longer a game but an industrial sector and it needs stability," argued Juventus club president Andrea Agnelli in Italian newspaper La Repubblica last Wednesday.
Nazie comparison: The President of the German Football Federation apologizes .
© Thomas Boecker The President of the German Football Federation, Fritz Keller, at the press conference in Frankfurt, March 11, 2021 The President of the Federation German Football had to present Monday apology after comparing one of his colleagues to a former Nazi judge Notoire, while the organization has been shaken for months by internal rivalries.