•   
  •   
  •   

Sport Oscar De La Hoya's reckless return to the ring is a disaster waiting to happen

20:28  28 july  2021
20:28  28 july  2021 Source:   sports.yahoo.com

Louisiana Man Stole Ring From Fiancee to Pay for Her Engagement Ring

  Louisiana Man Stole Ring From Fiancee to Pay for Her Engagement Ring Justin Pope admitted to pawning this then-girlfriend's ring and using the money as a down payment on her own engagement ring.Once he had the ring in his possession, he sold it at a local pawn shop, then used the money as a down payment to buy the engagement ring, he revealed in a court affidavit. Pope also told Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office deputies that while he tried to get the ring back after pawning it, "it had been melted for scrap.

Oscar De La Hoya is one of the great boxers who ever lived. Boxing would be in a much better place if both the fighters and the promoters had the attitude that he has: He’s always been about fighting the best.

He sought the best competition he could when he was a fighter, and for all his other flaws as a promoter, the one thing he has consistently done is to match his fighters tough.

He’s delusional, though, if he thinks that at 48 years old and after 13 years away from the game that he can step back in as an active fighter and challenge the likes of Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and/or Gennadiy Golovkin.

At a news conference Tuesday in Los Angeles to announce his Sept. 11 fight with ex-UFC star Vitor Belfort, De La Hoya told ESPN’s Marc Raimondi that he would be up to fighting Alvarez, the consensus No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

Look: Tom Brady, Leonard Fournette Show Off Buccaneers Super Bowl Ring

  Look: Tom Brady, Leonard Fournette Show Off Buccaneers Super Bowl Ring Just a few months ago, Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers pulled off an incredible feat, winning eight straight games en route to a Super Bowl title. Brady’s move from New England to Tampa paid off immediately as Brady led the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl title with a convincing win over the Kansas […] The post Look: Tom Brady, Leonard Fournette Show Off Buccaneers Super Bowl Ring appeared first on The Spun.

“It’s just power,” De La Hoya said, dismissively. “I have a good chin.”

He said it with a straight face, as he has numerous times over the last year or so since he came up with the idea of a comeback.

He’s not serious, though. He can’t be. And he’s giving you the clue you need to realize that, if you just look hard enough.

If De La Hoya were serious about boxing and fighting the game’s elite fighters as he’s repeatedly said, he wouldn’t be fighting a 44-year-old MMA fighter in his comeback fight.

Belfort is 1-3 with a no-contest in his last five fights, and he’d be 1-4 if a first-round TKO loss to Kelvin Gastelum wasn’t overturned because Gastelum had smoked marijuana prior to the fight.

He’s also had exactly one boxing match in his career, more than 15 years ago. Fighting a guy who isn’t a boxer, who hasn’t had a fight of any kind in more than three years and who was on the downside of his career when he last fought isn’t a way to prepare oneself for the Alvarezes or Golovkins of the world.

Video: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Vitor Belfort press conference live stream (2 p.m. ET)

  Video: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Vitor Belfort press conference live stream (2 p.m. ET) LOS ANGELES – You can watch Tuesday's news conference from Staples Center in advance of "Triller Fight Club: Legends II" here on MMA Junkie at 2 p.m. ET. Boxing legend and former UFC champion will be featured ahead of their Sept. 11 clash, which…Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya and former UFC champion Vitor Belfort will be featured ahead of their Sept. 11 clash, which headlines the pay-per-view event from the same venue.

No commission in the country would sanction De La Hoya-Alvarez no matter how many MMA fighters and/or YouTube stars he beats up.

Oscar De La Hoya posing for the camera: Oscar De La Hoya, 48, should stick to promoting fights instead of participating in them. (Photo by Valery Sharifulin\TASS via Getty Images) © Provided by Yahoo! Sports Oscar De La Hoya, 48, should stick to promoting fights instead of participating in them. (Photo by Valery Sharifulin\TASS via Getty Images)

In December, De La Hoya spoke to BoxingScene about fighting Golovkin and expressed no concerns.

“You know how easy GGG would be for me? Oh, my gosh,” De La Hoya told Boxing Scene. “It would be a high-profile fight, that’s for sure. I always took a good shot and I always took apart fighters like him. In my mind it would be that easy. I would definitely consider it, that’s for sure.”

Golovkin responded by saying, “You know Oscar, you know how dirty his mouth is. Everything involving Gennadiy Golovkin for him is a nightmare. He can say whatever. But let me put it this way: If I got an opportunity to legally kill a person in the ring, I might seize it.”

Duke Ragan runs American men's record to 6-0 in Olympics

  Duke Ragan runs American men's record to 6-0 in Olympics Featherweight Duke Ragan kept the U.S. men’s Olympic winning streak alive Tuesday evening U.S. time. Ragan, a 23-year-old from Cincinnati, outpointed Serik Temirzhanov of Kazakhstan 5-0 to reach the quarterfinals and give the American men a record of 6-0 so far in the Tokyo Gam es. Ragan will face Kurt Walker of Ireland on Saturday evening U.S. time to clinch at least a bronze medal. Duke Ragan looked a lot shaper in his second fight in Tokyo ! Good win ! Olympic Games pressure is real. Cutting weight every 2-3 days is real and the competition gets tougher with each fight. We are built for this ! #USA #Tokyo2020— Andre S.O.G.

With that comment, De La Hoya’s public flirtation with fighting Golovkin ended.

Thankfully.

Now Alvarez, whom he once promoted until an acrimonious split, is his target.

But it's salesmanship. If he makes people think he’s serious about getting back into it, he can increase sales on the pay-per-view portion of the fight. How better for him to convince people he’s serious than by calling out the best in the world, particularly when there is no love lost between them?

It’s all fun and games, except that boxing is no sport to play. And other retired fighters will see the money and the attention that De La Hoya gets from this fight and want some of that for themselves. And then they come back and it doesn’t end well. They get hurt, or worse.

Fifty-year-olds do not belong in professional fights with extremely rare exceptions (I see you, Bernard Hopkins). It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

De La Hoya has battled many demons in his life and has struggled with drugs and alcohol. He sees boxing as something of a therapy, but he can accomplish that by training and keeping himself fit. Thousands of adults use boxing training that way.

Daniel Cormier immediately called Khabib Nurmagomedov after Conor McGregor 'crossed the line' in deleted tweet

  Daniel Cormier immediately called Khabib Nurmagomedov after Conor McGregor 'crossed the line' in deleted tweet 's recent Twitter attack on 's late father did not sit well with former UFC champ-champ . On Monday, McGregor posted a message on Twitter that appeared to be directed towards Nurmagomedov's father, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, who passed away this past July after testing positive for COVID-19. The now-deleted Tweet read, “Covid is good and father is evil?” Cormier, a very close friend of Nurmagomedov, took exception with the attack, expressing that McGregor has gone too far with his trash talk.

But it’s reckless beyond belief to come back to fight real fighters at 48 years old and 14 or more years since he was last truly competitive.

This is a bad idea that can only get worse if promoters look at him as an ATM instead of a human with all the faults, foibles and problems that we all battle each day.

Hopefully, this fight with Belfort is one and done and isn’t anything more than a playful way to make a couple of bucks.

I don’t even want to think of what may happen if it’s not.

More from Yahoo Sports:

  • USA gymnast Biles out of all-around competition in Olympics

  • Manza Young: Biles, Black women bear too heavy a burden

  • Bushnell: Ledecky knows pressure of greatness facing Biles

  • Robinson: Only winner in Rodgers-Packers is fans of drama

The Sweet Story of How Marlee Matlin Lived with Henry Winkler After Getting Sober .
The Oscar winner, who stars in the new movie CODA, on how a chance meeting with Henry Winkler and his wife Stacey helped Marlee Matlin find and keep her footing in Hollywood Since then the actress has appeared in numerous films and TV shows, Seinfeld, Law & Order: SVU, The West Wing and Dancing with the Stars to name a few, and has been a part of groundbreaking work for the deaf community. Her latest film CODA (the acronym stands for Child of Deaf Adults) follows a teenage girl who is the only hearing member of her family. The film (available to stream on AppleTV+ Aug.

usr: 0
This is interesting!