Sport Tracker and Thread: Every player the Lakers have been connected to in free agency
Lakers extend qualifying offer to Talen Horton-Tucker making him restricted free agent
In an ideal world, the Lakers would like to keep promising young wing Talen Horton-Tucker on their roster.Thursday, the Lakers made sure they have the mechanism to do that, extending a qualifying offer to Horton-Tucker, making him a restricted free agent this offseason. That means the Lakers can match any offer for Tucker from another team.
The 2021moratorium, when teams can begin negotiating with players, officially opens on Monday, Aug. 2, at 3 p.m. PT. But the rumors about where this year’s free agents will go started well, well before then. And in what has become an annual tradition on this website, we’ll be trying to keep track of all of them.
So without further ado, below is a list of everyfree agent and player they’ve been connected to in free agency, sorted alphabetically in two lists: Players that are still available that have been connected to the Lakers (including their own free agents!), and players that are reportedly heading elsewhere.
DeMar DeRozan Appears To React To Lakers Rumor
Four-time All-Star DeMar DeRozan will become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and the Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly at the top of his list of potential landing spots. Per Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times, DeRozan and Kyle Lowry – former Toronto Raptors teammates – have interest in joining the Lakers this summer. […] The post DeMar DeRozan Appears To React To Lakers Rumor appeared first on The Spun.
We will be doing our best to keep this as up to date as we can with as many reputable reports as possible, so if you don’t want to endlessly scroll Twitter waiting for every update, or live and die by Shams and Woj alerts on your phone, then bookmark this page, kick back and join the discussion in the comments below.
Available players connected to the Lakers
- Drummond was about returning to the Lakers when asked about it during his exit interview. He later called a fan asking him to take the veteran’s minimum on Instagram to return and for not playing him more.
- wrote that the Heat could have renewed interest in Drummond after previously trying to sign him before he chose to join the Lakers midseason.
- reported that Iguodala was a candidate to join the Lakers this summer.
- reported after the waived Bradley that “contenders and teams that Bradley previously played for are expected to have strong interest in him.” While he didn’t explicitly name the Lakers, they are both a contender and team Bradley previously played for.
- , “multiple league personnel” expect Anthony to try and chase a ring with the Lakers. And confirmed that Anthony wants to join the Lakers, and is just waiting to get a call when free agency opens.
- However, is reporting that the Knicks and Lakers are currently in a recruiting war for Anthony.
- His close friend and Lakers star LeBron James has previously for his banana boat buddy to join the team.
- reported that the Lakers are pursuing a reunion with their former starting shooting guard in free agency.
- League insiders to Los Angeles on a discount, but reported that the possibility of him doing so was “eliminated” when the Lakers traded Kyle Kuzma, who the Spurs would have taken for DeRozan in a theoretical sign-and-trade.
- similarly reported that DeRozan “had serious interest in finding a way to play for his hometown Lakers via sign-and-trade with San Antonio, but the Westbrook move ended that possibility.”
- Previously, reported that DeRozan would be willing to take a pay cut to join the Lakers, and DeRozan called joining the team he grew up rooting for
- reported that the Lakers were giving off “vibes” that they wanted to move on from Schröder even before their trade for Russell Westbrook.
- wrote that Schröder is expected to draw interest from Billy Donovan (his former Thunder head coach) and the . The are also expected to express interest in Schröder, according to .
- Schröder and the Lakers have not had a lot of contact with the Lakers prior to free agency, , but the Lakers are still interested in making a sign-and-trade for Buddy Hield work, potentially involving Schröder.
- Dudley has said he is returning to the Lakers for a third straight season. He was also at the dinner where LeBron and AD recruited Russell Westbrook. So, yeah.
- Morris has previously said he .
- wrote that Mills was a name to watch for the Lakers, and reported he was among the “prime free agents of interest” for the team.
- wrote that Gay is expected to consider taking a pay cut to join the Lakers.
- As with Caruso, Horton-Tucker is expected to have in free agency. The New York Knicks have .
- The Lakers made Horton-Tucker and can match any offer for him.
- Matthews said repeatedly his exit interview that he wants to for a second year in purple and gold.
Players who actually signed with the Lakers
- reports that Howard is “ready to return” for a third stint with the Lakers when free agency begins.
- Kyle Goon of the O.C. Register added that Howard
- NBA Insider Marc Stein wrote that Howard’s return to the Lakers is viewed in league circles as Soon enough, he was proven right, as
- Bazemore was literally never connected to the team by rumors prior to free agency, but is joining the roster nonetheless on
- reported that Ariza was a candidate to join the Lakers this summer, and shortly after free agency started, he came to terms with the team
- reported that Ellington has interest in returning to the Lakers, who he played for during the 2014-15 season, and wrote that Ellington was among the “prime free agents of interest” for the team.
- Less than two hours into free agency,
Players connected to the Lakers who went elsewhere
- that Caruso would have “multiple suitors” in free agency, and he quickly agreed to terms with one, less than three hours into free agency.
- Before the season ended, the Lakers were because he loved playing with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, something he’s said .
- McLemore said when asked at his exit interview whether or not he’ll be back with the Lakers.
- We saw, and he .
- The Miami Heat exercised their team option on Dragic, and according to , likely plan to use his contract in a trade.
- originally reported that Dragic was among the “names to look out for” for the Lakers.
- reported that Green was among the “names to look out for” for the Lakers, but Green ultimately
- Bullock is expected to sign with the Dallas Mavericks, according to .
- had previously reported that the Lakers, , and Knicks are expected to chase Bullock in free agency. Bullock last played for the Lakers in 2019 following a midseason trade.
For moretalk, subscribe to the Silver Screen and Roll podcast feed on , , or . You can follow Harrison on Twitter at .
Sources: Lakers worked out Isaiah Thomas, Darren Collison and Mike James for potential roster spot .
The Los Angeles Lakers are actively surveying the landscape to eventually fill out the roster with more depth, and have done so in recently working out Isaiah Thomas, Darren Collison and Mike James, league sources told Yahoo Sports. The Lakers could also elect to bring players into training camp to fight for the last few roster spots. The Lakers, who have 12 players under guaranteed contracts, will go into the 2021-22 season carrying 14 players in order to maintain flexibility, sources said. Each team can carry a maximum of 15 players and two two-way players. A third point guard is a priority, sources said, along with potentially adding another wing.