Sport Evander Holyfield loses to Vitor Belfort via first-round TKO in return to boxing
Vitor Belfort vs. Evander Holyfield, Anderson Silva-Tito Ortiz fights moved to Florida
The Triller Fight Club event that was set for Saturday in California is shifting coasts. vs. was set for Los Angeles until De La Hoya contracted COVID-19, which forced him out. Triller got fellow former boxing champion Evander Holyfield to step in as De La Hoya's…Oscar De La Hoya vs. Vitor Belfort was set for Los Angeles until De La Hoya contracted COVID-19, which forced him out. Triller got fellow former boxing champion Evander Holyfield to step in as De La Hoya’s replacement against ex-UFC champ Belfort.
Evander Holyfield lost by a first-round TKO Saturday night in his return to the boxing ring at the age of 58.
Vitor Belfort, a 44-year-old retired UFC champion, staggered Holyfield early. Holyfield was so wobbled, he flew to the ropes when he missed with a wild left hand.
Though he managed to stay on his feet, things got progressively worse for the former heavyweight champion.
Belfort dropped Holyfield with a left-handed uppercut, and even though Holyfield reached his feet before the 10-count, the referee called off the fight with 10 seconds left in the round.
Why is Evander Holyfield fighting instead of Oscar De La Hoya?
Phillies P Zack Wheeler struck out nine over six dominant innings against the Brewers on Monday.
Holyfield said he thought the referee stopped the fight too quickly.
“I thought it was a bad call,’’ Holyfield said.
Vitor Belfort defeats Evander Holyfield via first round TKO ????— Chamatkar Sandhu (@SandhuMMA)
The bout was billed as the featured event of a four-fight card Saturday at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
Former President Donald Trump provided commentary during the bouts and after Holyfield got stopped remarked, “You could see right from the beginning, he was not the same fighter. That left jab was very slow. He’s lost a lot.’’
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:
Oscar De La Hoya willing to offer Floyd Mayweather $100 million for rematch .
Mayweather won a split decision when the two fought in 2007 in a match that generated more than $130 million. Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe told SportsMap Radio's "The Jake Asman Show" in June that a rematch between De Lay Hoya and Mayweather will "never happen." De La Hoya was supposed to fight Vitor Belfort in an exhibition match on Sept. 11 but had to back out after testing positive for COVID-19. Triller CEO Ryan Kavanaugh said earlier this week there have been talks about rescheduling the fight for Thanksgiving weekend.Mayweather last fought against YouTube star Logan Paul in June.