Sport Golazo Newsletter 7/27/22
Manchester United vs. Brighton live stream: Premier League prediction, TV channel, how to watch online, time
The Erik ten Hag era gets underway against Seagulls in ManchesterHere are our storylines, how you can watch the match & more:
Welcome to the inaugural edition of the Golazo Starting XI newsletter! We're here to be your one stop shop for everything you need to know happening around the globe in the beautiful game. From breaking down the biggest matches and untangling major transfer market moves, to unearthing hidden gems and highlighting can't-miss matches that might have flown under your radar, we're here to bring you what you need.
Today we've got the Women's Euros barreling toward a dramatic conclusion, a soccer legend returning home to Uruguay and yet another United States men's national team player making the jump to the Premier League.
Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal live stream: Premier League, TV channel, how to watch online, time, news, odds
Can the Gunners get off to a winning start to the season?For Patrick Vieria, he'd like nothing more than for Crystal Palace to take the next step in their progression by toppling Arsenal to open the season. They've made smart additions in the transfer market and one of the beautiful things about the start of the season is that all the teams are on equal footing. Even without Michael Olise, and with Conor Gallagher gone back to Chelsea, Crystal Palace will put up quite a fight protecting their home grass.
Let's get to it.
⚽ The Forward Line
England reach Euro 2022 final on home soil
Is it finally coming home? England punched their ticket to Sunday's Euro 2022 final with a resounding 4-0 win over Sweden. You'll want to do yourself a favor and. The team is slated to face Germany for the trophy.
So can an English team finally win it all? This is going to be their best chance in an extremely long time. They've stormed through the group stage while scoring 14 goals and not conceding once. The side's only slight hiccup was a 2-1 quarterfinal win over Spain, which took extra time to wrap up.
Then again, it was only a year ago that England's men were entering the final on a high, looking to bring the trophy home after beating Denmark in the semifinals. They lost to Italy on penalty kicks.
Real Madrid vs. Eintracht Frankfurt live stream: UEFA Super Cup prediction, how to watch, start time, news
It's the Champions League winners against the Europa League winners with silverware on the lineHere's our storylines, how you can watch the match and more:
- For more on England's semifinal win check out Sandra Herrera's .
- Want to understand why everybody keeps asking if it's "coming home?" James Benge , during the England men's run to their final.
- And don't forget you can catch more women's soccer action on Paramount+, home to both the NWSL and FA WSL just by .
The Luis Suarez domino effect
Speaking of coming home, that's what the legendary Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez is doing. At 35, Suarez has had a career that's taken him from his home country to the Netherlands, Liverpool, Barcelona and then Atletico Madrid. And while this might seem like simply a feel-good story for a player nearing the end of his career, the move has major implications across world soccer.
Between La Liga and the Champions League last season, Suarez still logged over 2,000 minutes, making him a major contributor in Spain. Here's how the dominoes are falling:
Newsletters aren’t news anymore. But they’re not going away.
The Substack frenzy seems like a thing of the past. But lots of publishers are still leaning into newsletters. “They’re a great minimally viable product.”This was all the way back in 2020 and 2021: Big Name Writers were leaving Well-Known Publications to start one-person publishing operations, and some of them were making a lot of money doing it. Serious people were asking whether Substack, the email platform of the moment, was a threat to the New York Times. Facebook and Twitter wanted in on it.
- Luis Suarez returns to Uruguay and leaves a hole at striker for Atletico Madrid.
- Atleti play hardball on selling striker Alvaro Morata to Juventus, where he was on loan last season.
- Meanwhile, Juventus -- . -- turn to
Werner struggled to fit in at Chelsea after his arrival two seasons ago for a transfer fee of just under £50 million. Should the striker leave, either to Juventus or another destination (both Newcastle United and his former club RB Leipzig have expressed interest), it would mark the second high profile attacking signing that Chelsea are cutting bait with this summer.
Similarly to Romelu Lukaku, who they loaned back to Inter Milan, cutting ties with Werner would probably be best for all parties involved. Safe to say newly appointed Chelsea owner Todd Boehly isn't being shy about coming in and changing things up.
???? Midfield Link Play
Americans on the move
- England's domestic men's club season kicks off on Aug. 5 when Crystal Palace take on Arsenal. That match will likely feature American defender Chris Richards, whose move to Crystal Palace was finalized on Wednesday. Richards becomes the latest U.S. men's national player to make the jump to England, following Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams this summer -- both of who joined American manager Jesse Marsch at Leeds United. Chuck Booth broke down , and whether it will help improve his stock with the USMNT.
- Malik Tillman made waves when he opted to play for the United States instead of Germany, and now the former Bayern Munich teenager finds himself with a new home in Scotland. Rangers acquired Tillman on a season-long loan, meaning the young American hopeful will be playing all his televised matches on .
???? The Back Lines
Community Shield: Liverpool vs. Man City, July 30, 12 p.m. ET | ESPN+
- The Pick: Anytime goal scorer, Erling Haaland (+100) -- Don't expect too much from City and Liverpool in the Community Shield. It's at least half a preseason tournament and these two rivals are still rounding into form and won't give much away. That said, with goalscorer extraordinaire Haaland's arrival at City, manager Pep Guardiola would do well to make sure his shiny new, young striker gets off to a productive start.
German Super Cup: Leipzig vs. Bayern, July 30, 2:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
- The Pick: Bayern Munich (-111) -- After some wobbles last season, and with iconic striker Robert Lewandowski now plying his trade in Barcelona, it would be tempting to see the potential for Bayern to take a step backwards. Don't give into temptation. Sadio Mane will be a more than capable replacement for Lewandowski. And by adding Mattijs de Ligt in defense, Bayern have strengthened an area of the pitch that was stretched thin last season. They'll be fine, and they'll start showing it Saturday.
Putin meets Erdogan and Iranian President Raisi in Tehran .
Tehran. Putin meets with the Iranian head of state Raisi and his Turkish counterpart Erdogan on Tuesday, which was first traveling abroad in Ukraine in Ukraine on Tuesday in Tehran. What they want to talk about. © Vahid Salemi Erdogan is received by the Iranian president. Putin cannot be seen yet.