•   
  •   
  •   

US Hawaii to release report on false missile alarm

12:01  30 january  2018
12:01  30 january  2018 Source:   cnn.com

A year of Trump: (Almost) everything that happened

  A year of Trump: (Almost) everything that happened It will be impossible to adequately explain in decades to come just what it was like to be alive in the exhausting first year of Donald Trump's presidency.From the moment he trampled the unifying conventions of the inaugural address by decrying "American carnage," Trump shattered political normality, tearing at racial and societal divides, the limits and decorum of his office, even raising doubts about his fidelity to the nation's founding values.

An electronic sign reads, © Anthony Quintano An electronic sign reads, "Missile alert in error. There is no threat."

Hawaii officials have concluded their internal investigation into the false alert that told residents that a ballistic missile was speeding toward the state earlier this month, according to the Hawaii Department of Defense.

Hawaii governor didn't correct false missile alert sooner because he didn't know his Twitter password

  Hawaii governor didn't correct false missile alert sooner because he didn't know his Twitter password Gov. David Ige said he has taken steps to ensure it won't happen again.But one Twitter account was deafeningly silent for 17 minutes: that of Hawaii Gov. David Ige. Though Ige was informed by the state’s adjutant general that the alert was false two minutes after it was sent, he waited until 8:24 a.m. to tweet, “There is NO missile threat.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige along with other officials will release the results from the internal investigation at a Tuesday press conference.

The announcement will also include "some of the personnel actions that will occur within the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency" as a result of the investigation, according to the Hawaii Department of Defense.

Top official resigns after false missile alert in Hawaii

  Top official resigns after false missile alert in Hawaii HONOLULU — Hawaii's emergency management leader has resigned and a state employee who sent an alert falsely warning of an incoming ballistic missile has been fired, officials said Tuesday, weeks after the mistake caused widespread panic.Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator Vern Miyagi stepped down Tuesday, state Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Joe Logan said. A second agency worker quit before disciplinary action was taken and another was being suspended without pay, Logan said in announcing results of an internal investigation.

On January 13, an emergency missile alert accidentally went out to everyone in Hawaii, causing mass panic. The false alarm was blamed on an emergency worker who had pushed the wrong button during a routine drill.

An officer in the emergency operation center mistakenly selected an incorrect template to send the message to the public instead of the correct template that would've been sent internally, according to the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.

It took the agency 38 minutes to send a second alert confirming the message was a false alarm.

Ige came under criticism over the delay and he later said that he couldn't hop on Twitter because he forgot his password.

Apart from Hawaii's investigation, the Federal Communications Commission has also been looking into the incident, as the state came under criticism for lacking "reasonable safeguards."

Last week, an FCC official told a Senate committee hearing that the employee who sent out the false missile alert was not cooperating with its investigation. The individual responsible for the mistake was disciplined and reassigned, but not fired, Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency said earlier this month.

The Quiet Diplomacy to Save the Olympics in a Nuclear Standoff .
Organizers worried that the North would spoil the Winter Games in Pyeongchang. But after months of anxiety and failed diplomacy, there was a deal.BEIJING — In late December, a group of teenagers from North Korea traveled to the Chinese city of Kunming to play in an obscure under-15 soccer tournament. On the field, under a wintry sun, they faced teams from China and South Korea. Off the field, there was an unusual spectator: Choi Moon-soon, the governor of the province in South Korea hosting the Winter Olympics.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!