•   
  •   
  •   

US Iowa, Illinois investigating infections linked to McDonald's salad

07:02  13 july  2018
07:02  13 july  2018 Source:   reuters.com

7 fast-food chains to end 'no poach' deals that lock down low-wage workers

  7 fast-food chains to end 'no poach' deals that lock down low-wage workers McDonald’s and Arby’s are among the fast food companies that have agreed to drop a hiring practice that keeps workers from moving between franchises within a chain.Under agreements with Washington State announced on Thursday, the companies — Auntie Anne’s, Buffalo Wild Wings and Cinnabon are the others — have pledged to remove so-called no-poach clauses from their contracts with franchisees.

July 12 (Reuters) - The Iowa and Illinois health departments said on Thursday that they were investigating cyclospora infections linked to salads at McDonald Corp' s restaurants.

A link has been sent to your friend's email address. Posted! CHICAGO — Public health officials in Illinois and Iowa said Thursday they are investigating an outbreak of foodborne illness after dozens have been sickened in recent weeks after eating McDonald ’ s salads .

a sign on the side of a building: The logo of a McDonald's Corp restaurant is seen in Los Angeles © REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson The logo of a McDonald's Corp restaurant is seen in Los Angeles

The Iowa and Illinois health departments said on Thursday that they were investigating cyclospora infections linked to salads at McDonald Corp's (MCD.N) restaurants.

McDonald's shares fell 1.4 percent after-hours on Thursday.

The Illinois Department of Public Health said it had seen about 90 cases, and the Iowa Department of Public Health said it had recorded 15 cases.

In about one-fourth of the Illinois cases people reported eating salads from McDonald's in the days before they became ill.

McDonald's, the world's largest restaurant chain, said in a statement that it had been in contact with public health authorities in both states.

Condition of man hospitalized in poisoning improves

  Condition of man hospitalized in poisoning improves Hospital officials say they've seen an improvement in a man poisoned in a nerve agent attack in southwestern England. Salisbury Hospital said on Tuesday that Charlie Rowley has experienced a "small but significant improvement" and is now conscious. The 45-year-old is in critical but stable condition.The hospital says in a statement that "while this is welcome news, clearly we are not out of the woods yet. Charlie is still very unwell."Rowley's partner, 44-year-old Dawn Sturgess, died after being exposed to Novichok, a military-grade nerve agent produced in the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Trump has described a special counsel investigation into possible collusion between Trump campaign aides and Russia as a political witch hunt. Iowa , Illinois investigating infections linked to McDonald ' s salad .

He had campaigned the previous weekend with Democratic incumbents and swing district candidates in Wisconsin and Illinois . New Stories. Iowa investigating infections linked to McDonald ’ s salad .

It said that it had voluntarily stopped selling salads at the approximately 3,000 affected U.S. restaurants until it could switch to another lettuce blend supplier.

"We are closely monitoring this situation and cooperating with state and federal public health authorities as they further investigate," the company said.

The parasite, cyclospora cayetanensis, infects the small intestine, typically causing watery diarrhea and frequent, sometimes explosive bowel movements. It is spread by ingesting food or water contaminated with feces and not directly from one person to another.

Several outbreaks have occurred in the United States in the past several years, especially during the summer months, that had been linked to imported fresh produce including raspberries, basil, snow peas, and lettuce.

(Reporting by Nivedita Balu in Bengaluru and Alana Wise in New York; Editing by Maju Samuel)

Judge: Trial in Laquan McDonald shooting to start Sept. 5 .
A Chicago police officer charged with murder in the fatal shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald will stand trial starting Sept. 5. Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan's ruling Tuesday comes more than 2 ½ years after Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder in the 2014 shooting of the 17-year-old on the city's southwest side. Video of the Van Dyke shooting McDonald 16 times sparked mass protests.Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan's ruling Tuesday comes more than 2 ½ years after Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder in the 2014 shooting of the 17-year-old on the city's southwest side.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!