USA Calif. man died after jumping into the ocean to save his dogs from high surf in San Diego

17:15  11 january  2019
17:15  11 january  2019 Source:   usatoday.com

Pro lacrosse players leap into trouble ... llegally

Pro lacrosse players leap into trouble ... llegally The players asked a bystander to film them jumping off the cliffs at a well-known spot called The Arch. Witnesses told OnSceneTV the men were overcome by waves and 60-degree water on a day high-surf warnings had been issued. Waves were 4 to 6 feet at the time, a lifeguard spokesman told the Tribune. Related Facebook post Shared from Facebook "I was flabbergasted," witness Jim Grant told the Tribune, adding that he tried telling them not to jump. "They were doing OK for maybe 30 to 40 seconds. After that, they were done. They were fighting it real hard." San Diego Lifeguard was called to the scene at around 10:45 a.m.

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Authorities released the name of a 27-year-old tourist who drowned last week after jumping off the Ocean Beach Pier to try to retrieve some belongings from the heavy nighttime surf . Kevin Chilson-Moyers had been visiting San Diego with his girlfriend from Mesquite, Nevada

Officials said the victim, Joshua Bradbury, was seen jumping into a fast-moving Waikomo Stream to try to save a dog about 2:40 p. m . His body was found several hours later along the west bank of the stream. The dog decided to try to swim across the stream, which is when Bradbury rushed to save it.

A Calif. man died after jumping into the ocean to save his dogs from high surf in San Diego© Provided by USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, Inc.

A man was killed in San Diego after he rushed into the ocean to save his dogs that had been taken by a wave during a high surf advisory, authorities say.

Gregg Owens, 64, died Wednesday at a local hospital after he slammed into rocks at Ocean Beach and found face-down in the water 20 minutes later, San Diego County's Medical Examiner Office said.

According to the office, Owens was walking his dogs with his wife along the beach when a wave took the pets into the water. After saving the dogs, another wave swept him away, and he then struck the rocks, the office said. Paramedics tried to revive him, according to the medical examiner.

'I'm happy to be alive': Surfer describes terrifying shark attack

'I'm happy to be alive': Surfer describes terrifying shark attack SACRAMENTO, Calif. - For Nick Wapner, Tuesday morning at Montana de Oro State Park was a typical day of surfing with friends - an activity that's been his lifelong passion - as he paddled in for one of the last waves of the day off Sandspit Beach. Wapner, a sophomore communications major, had met up with some fellow surfers and Cal Poly students to ride the waves on Tuesday. Then, it happened. At about 10 a.m. after about an hour in the ocean, Wapner said, a great white shark came up from beneath him as he paddled into position for an incoming set. He didn't even see a splash.

When his body was retrieved, it was discovered A Whale Shark Cooperates with the Diver Saving Him - Продолжительность: 1:29 Smithsonian Channel 5 615 399 просмотров. Stuntman Falls to His Death After Safety Belt Breaks - Jim 'Bullet' Bailey - Продолжительность: 1:55 Horror Stories

A man died Sunday after he jumped into the ocean near San Diego 's iconic Sunset Cliffs, San Diego Lifeguards confirmed. The incident happened at approximately 1 p. m . Sunday near Sunset Cliffs Boulevard and Monaco Street. The man , fishing off the reef, decided to cool off by jumping in the

San Diego County is under a high surf advisory until Thursday 10 p.m. PST, the National Weather Service warns. Lifeguards closed the pier at Ocean Beach Wednesday morning because of the high surf, CBS8 reported.

Surfer Nick Wilkinson was at nearby Dog Beach when the incident happened and told ABC10, "It's incredible the power of, basically, the outgoing tide. You could almost stand in it, ankle deep, and get sucked out."

The TV station reported Owens was dragged about 75 yards from the beach. The dogs are believed to be OK, the station said.

Follow USA TODAY's Ryan Miller on Twitter @RyanW_Miller

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: A man died after jumping into the ocean to save his dogs from high surf in San Diego

A massive floating device created to clean up the Pacific Ocean breaks down.
A 2,000-foot-long system created to clean up plastic pollution in the Pacific Ocean is broken and being towed back to port for repair. The Ocean Cleanup System 001, a U-shaped floating barrier created by the organization The Ocean Cleanup, arrived in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in October. Ocean garbage patches are formed by rotating ocean currents called "gyres" that pull marine debris (litter, fishing gear, and plastic) into one location, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The are several of these patches in the ocean, including two in the Pacific.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!