•   
  •   
  •   

USMegyn Kelly leaves NBC with all of her $69 million contract intact

05:55  12 january  2019
05:55  12 january  2019 Source:   cnn.com

NBCUniversal Chief on Megyn Kelly, Andy Lack and Future of NBC News

NBCUniversal Chief on Megyn Kelly, Andy Lack and Future of NBC News The Megyn Kelly debacle at NBC News has raised the question of whether NBC News chief Andy Lack will face repercussions for the costly experiment. But NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke told Variety on Monday that he is “100% behind Andy” and accepts some blame for the decision recruit Kelly from Fox News in early 2017. “News organizations like ours should take risks,” Burke said. The decision to hire Kelly was ultimately Burke’s call, he said. “I went over and told (Kelly) she should come here,” Burke recalled.

Megyn Kelly is nearing a deal with Comcast Corp.’s NBC News to walk away with the full value left on her three-year, $ 69 million contract The TV anchor’s exit deal with NBC News could come as early as next week, one of the people said, more than a month after she came under fire for questioning

Megyn Kelly is nearing a deal with Comcast Corp.’s CMCSA, -3.72% NBC News to walk away with the full value left on her three-year, $ 69 million contract Kelly ’s contract went into effect in the middle of last year, meaning she has a little more than half of her contract left . She is likely to walk away

Megyn Kelly leaves NBC with all of her $69 million contract intact© Nathan Congleton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images Megyn Kelly

Two years after she signed with the network amid much fanfare, Megyn Kelly and NBC have officially parted ways.

The split was announced on Friday ending a drawn-out and acrimonious exit that was put in motion in the fall after Kelly defended Halloween costumes that incorporate blackface during a segment on her 9 a.m. talk show.

"The parties have resolved their differences, and Megyn Kelly is no longer an employee of NBC," the network said Friday night.

Talks about ending "Megyn Kelly Today" started before the blackface remarks, due to underperforming ratings and growing tensions between Kelly and NBC executives. But the Halloween controversy sealed her fate, according to sources familiar with the matter. Her talk show was cancelled within days, and her lawyer began negotiating the terms of her exit.

Megyn Kelly Cracks a Joke About Being Unemployed Before Reporting to Jury Duty

Megyn Kelly Cracks a Joke About Being Unemployed Before Reporting to Jury Duty Megyn Kelly Jokes About Being Unemployed

' Megyn Kelly is done. She is not ever coming back,' said an NBC executive with knowledge of the situation. 'We are just working out timing of the The source then added: 'Here’s the worst part – her deal is a non-break deal – so she walks away with all that money. It’s disgusting and heads should

On Tuesday, Page Six reported that Kelly , who originally signed a $ 69 million deal when she joined NBC in 2017, would walk away with million intact . Kelly was about halfway through her three-year contract when her show was canceled. However, the Wall Street Journal reported even more

Kelly is halfway through a three-year contract worth a total of $69 million -- an eye-popping sum even by the inflated standards of television news.

Bowing to the terms of the contract, NBC will pay Kelly the remaining sum of money, believed to total about $30 million, two of the sources said.

Kelly will be subject to an industry standard nondisparagement clause, limiting what she can say about her time at NBC and her interactions with NBC executives. Television contracts typically include language to protect both sides in the event of an ugly breakup.

But representatives for the host and the network declined to comment on the exact terms of her exit.

Kelly is not believed to be subject to any "noncompete" clause, which means that in theory she can join another network right away, the sources said.

Today Reveals Cohosts for Post-Megyn Kelly Third Hour — Who's Taking Over?

Today Reveals Cohosts for Post-Megyn Kelly Third Hour — Who's Taking Over? Today is calling on some familiar faces to permanently lead its in-limbo third hour. NBC veteran Al Roker, meteorologist Dylan Dreyer and journalists Craig Melvin and Sheinelle Jones have officially been named cohosts of Today‘s 9 am hour, which was previously home to Megyn Kelly’s portion of the morning show. “Hope you don’t mind these faces!” Dreyer tweeted Monday, alongside a selfie with her three fellow anchors. “You’ll be seeing a lot of them at 9 am. Please join us!” Hope you don’t mind these faces! You’ll be seeing a lot of them at 9am.

Kelly torpedoed her already beleaguered 9 a.m. EST morning hour, Megyn Kelly Today, last Tuesday by headed toward certain demise. Her formal exit at NBC , whether it comes via termination or resignation, is up in the air, as is the fate of what's left of her three-year $ 69 million contract .

Megyn Kelly is nearing a deal with Comcast Corp.'s NBC News to walk away with the full value left on her three-year, $ 69 million contract with the network Ms. Kelly 's contract went into effect in the middle of last year, meaning she has a little more than half of her contract left . She is likely to walk

But Kelly does not currently have an agent, and there is no indication that she has another job lined up.

When approached by celebrity photographers on the street in New York City on Thursday, and asked "will we see you on TV this year," Kelly said. "You will definitely see me back on."

A representative for Kelly declined to comment further.

Friday's announcement marks a premature end to a partnership that ultimately failed to elevate the anchor's stature and the network's ratings. And the hostility surrounding her departure stands in sharp contrast to the optimism that greeted her arrival at NBC in January 2017.

After 12 years at Fox News, Kelly was one of the most sought-after stars in the television news world, drawing interest from a number of networks. Fox reportedly offered her a new contract worth more than $20 million a year, but Kelly was eager to shed the combative style she honed at the conservative network.

PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Seeking some zen? Megyn Kelly is seen for the first time since her Today replacements were revealed as she heads to yoga in a $2,000 coat

PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Seeking some zen? Megyn Kelly is seen for the first time since her Today replacements were revealed as she heads to yoga in a $2,000 coat Megyn, 48, arrived at Pure Yoga on New York City's Upper West Side in a taxi on Tuesday morning, wearing a black puffy coat over a zip-up and capri leggings. The axed Today host failed to raise a smile after she left the studio an hour later (left and right). While Megyn worked up a sweat at Pure Yoga, her husband, Douglas Brunt, ran errands and was later seen heading home with some bottles of wine (top inset). The journalist's outing came just

NBC poached Megyn Kelly from Fox with a three-year contract for $ 69 million , but her ratings are not consistent with what is expected from that level of During Kelly 's last year at Fox News, "The Kelly File" averaged 2.7 million viewers despite being on a cable network. Kelly was in prime time and now

Megyn Kelly is nearing a deal with Comcast Corp.'s NBC News to walk away with the full value left on her three-year, $ 69 million contract with the network Ms. Kelly 's contract went into effect in the middle of last year, meaning she has a little more than half of her contract left . She is likely to walk

"Barbara Walters has retired," Kelly told Variety in 2015, when she was still at Fox. "Oprah has moved to the OWN network and is doing a different thing now. So why not me?"

At NBC, Kelly hoped she would be able to fulfill the softer role she had long envisioned for herself. The network had ambitious plans for Kelly, handing her hosting duties for a Sunday evening news magazine and the 9 a.m. hour of the "Today" show. But the marriage was awkward from the jump.

"Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly" was poorly received and ended after a short run in the summer of 2017. And "Megyn Kelly Today" was defined by disappointing ratings and awkward moments, with the host sometimes seeming ill-suited for the bubbly world of morning television.

Kelly won plaudits for aggressively covering cases of sexual misconduct when the #MeToo movement became an international story in late 2017.

But her coverage -- especially of the case involving "Today" show co-host Matt Lauer -- rankled some of her colleagues.

This contributed to tensions between Kelly and NBC executives, including NBC News chair Andy Lack, who invested tens of millions of dollars in her hiring.

Facebook Deletes Page Criticizing R. Kelly’s Accusers

Facebook Deletes Page Criticizing R. Kelly’s Accusers R. Kelly rarely has been silent when accusations against him have peaked over the past two decades, and he’s responded several times to the waves of criticism that have arisen in the days leading up to and following the airing of “Surviving R. Kelly,” a three-part Lifetime documentary in which multiple women accuse the singer of sexual assault and misconduct. He threatened legal action last week, dropped a new song called “Born to My Music” on Friday, and on Monday a Facebook page was briefly posted teasing a forthcoming website called “SurvivingLies.

Daily Mail says Megyn Kelly is out at NBC and/but the network will have to pay her full $ 69 million contract There is nothing more American than Megyn Kelly getting $ 69 million to leave her show after saying something First of all she apologized. Just like Roseanne did but nope not good enough.

Talks over Megyn Kelly 's official departure from the Comcast-owned network are looking less lucrative for EXCLUSIVE: Megyn Kelly is off the air and heading toward the door at NBC , but it looks like any exit won’t be I’m not defending Megyn Kelly . She should just retire with all the money she has now.

Last September, Kelly publicly contradicted part of Lack's account about why NBC opted not to air Ronan Farrow's reporting about Harvey Weinstein.

By that point, there were already questions about how much longer Kelly's 9 a.m. show would last. She had few allies inside NBC, and more than a few detractors.

Her lowest moment came on October 23, when she led an on-air discussion about offensive Halloween costumes.

Kelly said it was acceptable when she was a kid to don black face "as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character." And she defended a reality TV star who took heat last year for dressing up as Diana Ross.

"And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross?" Kelly said. "She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day. I don't know how, like, that got racist on Halloween."

The backlash to Kelly was swift and immediate, exceeding the outrage she generated for her remarks years ago about Santa's race. Kelly apologized to her staff that afternoon. And she apologized on her show the following day, saying "the country feels so divided and I have no wish to add to that pain and offense."

Many of her "Today" show colleagues were not satisfied. Kelly drew forceful on-air denunciations from Al Roker and Craig Melvin, two African-American hosts on "Today." And Lack condemned Kelly's comments at a town hall, a clear sign that she had lost the support of the executive who helped woo her to the network.

She didn't appear on the network again. Three days after her blackface remarks on air, NBC announced that it had canceled "Megyn Kelly Today."

Talks about the terms of her exit soon turned contentious, with Kelly's attorney Bryan Freedman accusing Lack of leaking details about the negotiations. NBC fired back, saying the network had respected the confidentiality of the process while Freedman has "repeatedly commented to the media throughout the negotiations."

Both sides then reached a quiet resolution, which was announced on Friday night.

Manny Machado reportedly seeking contract larger than Giancarlo Stanton’s.
If Manny Machado is looking to become the highest-paid player in the history of baseball, there’s a strong chance he is going to end up very disappointed. The Chicago White Sox are one of the teams that have shown interest in signing Machado, and ESPN’s Buster Olney reported on Wednesday that the offer they have on the table to the free agent slugger is for $175 million over seven years. The White Sox offer to Machado is for $175 million, over seven years. In some ways, their approach is like Boston's w/ J.D. Martinez last winter — the Red Sox offered $100 million and waited for two months.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!