US: Southern California Edison power lines sparked deadly Thomas fire, investigators find - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

USSouthern California Edison power lines sparked deadly Thomas fire, investigators find

00:30  14 march  2019
00:30  14 march  2019 Source:   latimes.com

California man re-arrested in bombing that killed ex-girlfriend

California man re-arrested in bombing that killed ex-girlfriend A man arrested and released last year in a fatal Southern California bombing is back in custody in the same case, federal authorities said Sunday. FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the latest charges against 59-year-old Stephen Beal will be detailed Monday. Agents were searching Beal’s Long Beach home after he was arrested on Sunday morning, she said. Beal was charged last year with being in possession of an unregistered destructive device after a May 15 explosion killed Beal’s ex-girlfriend, Ildiko Krajnyak, 48, at her Orange County spa.

Southern California Edison said Tuesday that witnesses saw a fire igniting near one of the company's power poles in Santa Paula and it believes its Thomas Fire scorches southern California 01:03. SCE said it will not be able to analyze what happened at the ignition points until it can take a look at

Southern California Edison said Tuesday its equipment likely sparked one of two ignition points for the Power utility says its equipment "associated" in sparking deadly Southern California fire . According to Edison , witnesses reported a fire ignited along Koenigstein Road near an SCE power

Southern California Edison power lines sparked deadly Thomas fire, investigators find© Mike Eliason / Associated Press

Investigators have determined that Southern California Edison power lines ignited the 2017 Thomas fire, a massive blaze in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties that killed two people and later gave rise to a massive mud flow that resulted in at least 20 deaths.

Following a 13-month probe by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection and Ventura County Fire Department investigators, officials found the fire was started by two power lines that slapped together during high winds on the evening of Dec. 4, 2017.

Marine jets collide, land safely at Southern California base

Marine jets collide, land safely at Southern California base A military official says two Marine fighter jets collided in midair, but both pilots managed to land safely at a Southern California training base last month. 1st Lt. Frederick D. Walker says no injuries were reported in the collision of F/A-18s on Feb. 28 over Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms. A military safety brief obtained by Marine Corps Times notes the accident occurred while the aircraft were conducting close-air support training. Officials provided few details, and the extent of the damage to the two Hornets is unknown. Walker, a spokesman for the 3rd Aircraft Wing, says the incident is under investigation.

Pacific Gas and Electric and Southern California Edison face scrutiny after being found responsible for earlier fires . Incidents in recent years include the 2015 Butte fire , which killed two people and destroyed almost 900 structures after a PG&E power line ignited brush below it, and the North Bay

The Southern California Edison utility company says its electrical equipment is at least partly to blame for starting the deadly Thomas Fire last year that engulfed hundreds of thousands of acres as it swept through Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. Witnesses say that the fire ignited in the vicinity of an

“A high wind event caused the power lines to come into contact with each other, creating an electrical arc,” the Ventura County Fire Department said in a press statement Wednesday. “The electrical arc deposited hot, burning or molten material onto the ground, in a receptive fuel bed, causing the fire. The common term for this situation is called ‘line slap,’ and the power line in question is owned by Southern California Edison.”

In October, the utility said its electrical equipment likely sparked at least one starting point in the massive fire, which burned 281,893 acres. The loss of vegetation in that area ultimately resulted in the collapse of hillsides north of Montecito during heavy rains on Jan. 9, 2018.

The finding puts the utility on the hook for not only more than $1.3 billion in insurance claims filed by Thomas fire victims, but also for the $400 million in claims filed after the Montecito slides.

The Latest: Santa Barbara County lifting evacuation orders

The Latest: Santa Barbara County lifting evacuation orders Santa Barbara County authorities are planning to lift evacuation orders for communities below wildfire burn scars as the latest winter storm moves on without a repeat of damaging mud and debris flows. 

Southern California Edison also submitted a preliminary report to state regulators regarding the Woolsey Fire in Ventura County, citing an incident near its Chatsworth Substation minutes before the blaze was reported. Earlier this year, the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, known as Cal

Southern California Edison on Tuesday said its electrical equipment likely sparked at least one starting point in the massive Thomas fire that ravaged Ventura and Santa Barbara counties late last year. The utility said in a statement that witnesses reported a fire igniting along Koenigstein Road in

Although Southern California Edison had acknowledged its equipment likely started a fire off Koenigstein Road in Santa Paula, its investigators concluded that the company was probably not responsible for a second, larger blaze that began in Anlauf Canyon earlier in the evening.

In the report released Wednesday, investigators said the Thomas fire first began as two separate fires that joined together and burned for 40 days. They determined the utility was responsible for both ignitions.

“We understand the ramifications around releasing information and making statements in this official report. … It was very thorough,” said Ventura County Fire Capt. Stan Ziegler.

Southern California Edison officials have said they will work with insurance companies to handle the thousands of claims that have accumulated since the fire and mudslide. The company is protected from going bankrupt over the disasters, thanks to a law signed during the summer that passes excess liability costs on to utility customers.

[email protected]

For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna on Twitter.

Bobcat that survived California wildfire hit, killed by car.
A bobcat that survived the November 2018 Woolsey Fire in Southern California was hit and killed by a car in Calabasas (Los Angeles County), the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area said in a tweet. The male bobcat, named B-361, "roamed between the burned and unburned areas of Malibu Canyon," according to the recreation area. He was killed on Las Virgenes Road and his carcass will undergo a necropsy. B-361 was one of many bobcats the  Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area began tracking after the Woolsey Fire destroyed their habitat.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!