US: Seattle Children's Hospital will reopen operating rooms after a patient died of mold infection - - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

USSeattle Children's Hospital will reopen operating rooms after a patient died of mold infection

18:35  04 july  2019
18:35  04 july  2019 Source:   cnn.com

2-year-old boy dies after contracting E. coli at petting zoo

2-year-old boy dies after contracting E. coli at petting zoo The child was one of four kids to get sick at the fair.

A patient at Seattle Children ' s Hospital has died from a mold infection . The infections follow several operating rooms being shut down in May by the detection of Aspergillus mold in the air. The hospital said that the risk to patients was low, but that it was contacting those who might have been

The Children ' s Hospital patient died after developing an Aspergillus infection in 2018, Bernal said. Details about the patient and the case have not been shared for the sake of privacy. Gaps in air filtration is believed to have been key in the presence of mold , Bernal said.

Seattle Children's Hospital will reopen operating rooms after a patient died of mold infection© KCPQ Mold was detected in operating rooms and equipment storage rooms at Seattle Children's Hospital.

The main operating rooms at Seattle Children's Hospital are set to reopen Thursday after they were shuttered due to mold problems that killed one patient and sickened five others since last year, hospital officials said.

Some 3,000 letters also have gone out to patients who had surgery this year at the facility, informing them of air quality problems and advising them to watch for signs of infection, the hospital's chief medical officer, Dr. Mark Del Beccaro, said Wednesday.

Man dies in same hospital where he had just become a father to newborn twins

Man dies in same hospital where he had just become a father to newborn twins Newborn twins will grow up without their dad after he was shot and killed in Kentucky. 

The Children ' s Hospital patient died after developing an Aspergillus infection in 2018, Bernal said. Details about the patient and the case have not It is difficult to predict when we will be able to safely resume operations but our patients ' safety is our priority and we will reopen our operating rooms

A patient at Seattle Children ' s Hospital has died from a mold infection . It is difficult to predict when we will be able to safely resume operations but our patients ' safety is our priority and we will reopen our operating rooms when we are confident they are safe for patient care," Bernal said.

Air filtration gaps are believed to have been key in the presence of mold, hospital spokeswoman Alyse Bernal said Tuesday. The hospital worked with outside industrial hygienists to clear rooms of Aspergillus contamination, she said.

"We have conducted extensive air testing to validate that our interventions have been and will continue to be effective," Del Beccaro said in a prepared statement. "We are taking a thoughtful and systematic approach to resuming operations in our main operating rooms."

Several operating rooms were shut down in May after Aspergillus mold was detected in the air, though the risk to patients was low, hospital officials said at the time.

"The six patients who developed Aspergillus infections were at higher risk of infection due to the types of procedures they had," Del Beccaro said.

1 dead, 5 infected by mold that halted hospital surgeries

1 dead, 5 infected by mold that halted hospital surgeries SEATTLE (AP) — Seattle Children's Hospital has revealed that one patient has died and five others have been infected by a potentially dangerous mold that has forced the medical center to close all of its main operating rooms. The hospital disclosed the infections and death to The Seattle Times Tuesday in response to follow-up questions regarding the closures of four operating rooms on its main Seattle campus May 18 because of Aspergillus mold and of the remaining 10 operating rooms May 24.

A patient at Seattle Children ' s Hospital has died from a mold infection . The patient was one of six to develop an infection from 2018-2019, according to It is difficult to predict when we will be able to safely resume operations but our patients ’ safety is our priority and we will reopen our operating

The Children ' s Hospital patient died after developing an Aspergillus infection in 2018, Bernal said. It is difficult to predict when we will be able to safely resume operations but our patients ' safety is our priority and we will reopen our operating rooms when we are confident they are safe for

The patient who died developed an Aspergillus infection in 2018, Bernal said. More details of that case are being withheld for the sake of privacy.

Mold's rare fatal consequences

Aspergillus is a common mold that most people breathe without getting sick but that poses a greater risk to those with weakened immune systems or lung disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health problems can include allergic reactions, lung infections and other organ infections.

Prior mold infections in hospitals have also had fatal consequences.

Mold played a part in five deaths between 2014 and 2016 at two University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospitals, according to a 2017 report. Those patients were exposed to Mucor and Rhizopus mold.

Those who died of the infection were transplant patients. Both the hospital and the facility that handled the hospital's linens tested positive for mold, the report showed.

Read More

A baby died in a fire and several other children were injured while their mothers were out clubbing.
An 8-month-old girl died and several other children were hospitalized Sunday morning after a fire broke out in a Nashville apartment while their mothers were out at a nightclub. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); The Nashville Fire Department responded just after 2 a.m. Sunday to a report of a fire at the Hickory Lake Apartments in Nashville and found heavy smoke and flames coming from one of the units, the city of Nashville said in a news release.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!