US: Pentagon approves use of military construction funds to build Trump's border wall - - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

USPentagon approves use of military construction funds to build Trump's border wall

00:55  04 september  2019
00:55  04 september  2019 Source:   cnn.com

Pentagon authorizes 20 additional miles of border wall

Pentagon authorizes 20 additional miles of border wall The administration previously said the funds would cover roughly 100 miles of border fence in New Mexico, Arizona and California. The Pentagon said in a court filing that due to “lower-than-expected contract costs” it would be able to construct the additional barriers with money left over from a pot of $2.5 billion that was redirected to the border from a counter-drug fund.

received the first tranche of Pentagon funds that will be used to build more than 230 miles of the border wall - helping to According to CNN, the Pentagon notified Congress Monday night that it had authorized billion to begin construction of a new segment of the wall along the US-Mexico border .

President Donald Trump aims to build a border wall through creative use of an emergency military statute — a strategy that even the Legal challenges will likely also question whether Trump ' s national emergency represents a genuine crisis. The number of Border Patrol arrests in fiscal year 2018 — a

Pentagon approves use of military construction funds to build Trump's border wall© HERIKA MARTINEZ/AFP/Getty Images A US Border Patrol is seen from Mexico while patrolling along the border line between the cities of El Paso, Texas, in the United States, and Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua state, Mexico on April 7, 2018. The US states of Texas and Arizona on Friday announced plans to send National Guard troops to the southern border with Mexico after President Donald Trump ordered a thousands-strong deployment to combat drug trafficking and illegal immigration. / AFP PHOTO / HERIKA MARTINEZ (Photo credit should read HERIKA MARTINEZ/AFP/Getty Images)

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has authorized the use of $3.6 billion in military construction funds for 11 wall projects on the southern border with Mexico, according to defense officials and a letter from Esper to the Senate Armed Services Committee, which has been obtained by CNN.

ACLU to ask court to block $3.6B reallocated from military projects to border wall

ACLU to ask court to block $3.6B reallocated from military projects to border wall The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on Tuesday said it would ask for a court order preventing the Trump administration from reallocating military funds to use for border wall construction. © The Hill ACLU to ask court to block $3.6B reallocated from military projects to border wall The ACLU's announcement came after the administration notified lawmakers Tuesday that it would move forward with redirecting the $3.6 billion from military construction projects for use at the border. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.

The Supreme Court sided with the Trump administration on Friday in lifting a freeze backed by a lower court that had halted plans to use .5 billion in Pentagon funds for border wall construction . The decision, which split the bench along ideological lines, allows the administration to move ahead with

What it would take to build Trump ' s border wall . White House debunks Trump ' s claim about Melania. Joe Walsh addresses controversial tweet about Obama. In addition, while the Trump Administration has said that it intends to use some .5 billion from the Pentagon 's counter drug fund to help pay

In his letter, Esper told Congress he has "determined that 11 military construction projects along the international border with Mexico, with an estimated total cost of $3.6 billion, are necessary to support the use of the armed forces in connection with the national emergency."

The announcement fulfills a promise made by President Donald Trump in February to tap military construction funds to build his border wall. The move was slammed by Congress when it was first announced and only recently completed a Pentagon legal review.

Defense Department officials say 127 military construction projects are being put on hold in order to use the $3.6 billion to fund building 175 miles of southern border wall.

Pentagon pulls funds for military schools, daycare to pay for Trump's border wall

Pentagon pulls funds for military schools, daycare to pay for Trump's border wall The Pentagon said on Wednesday it would pull funding from 127 Defense Department projects, including schools and daycare centers for military families, as it diverts $3.6 billion to fund President Donald Trump's wall along the U.S. border with Mexico. © Reuters/Lucy Nicholson FILE PHOTO: New bollard-style U.S.-Mexico border fencing is seen in Santa Teresa Schools for the children of U.S. military members from Kentucky to Germany to Japan will be affected. A daycare center at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland - the home of Air Force One - will also have its funds diverted, the Pentagon said.

" Military construction on the border will not come at the expense of our people, our readiness, or "The committee does not approve the proposed use of Department of Defense funds to construct The Trump administration has pursued plans to build more fencing or walls in the face of critics who

The Defense Department announced Tuesday that it had awarded 6 million in contracts to build President Donald Trump ' s much-sought-after border wall with a completion date for these projects of October 2020.

Construction is expected to begin in about 135 days according to Deputy Under Secretary of Defense Comptroller Elaine McCusker.

According to chief Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman, half the money is coming from deferred projects overseas, and the other half were planned for projects in the US.

Though it's unclear which military construction would be put on hold, the move could put at risk projects such as command and control, drone, cyber and training facilities in the US and overseas.

White House officials have held talks in the last weeks to begin planning for the move, two administration officials said, which would shift funds from the Department of Defense's military construction budget to fund the border wall.

The move would rely on Trump's February emergency declaration, which has faced stiff legal challenges.

Lt. Gen. Andrew W. Poppas, director of operations, J-3, Joint Staff, says "we do" expect to be able to reduce some of the troops assigned to the border mission with the construction of these barriers but would not say by how much.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

Read More

Congress set to ignore Trump's wall request in stopgap measure.
Lawmakers are preparing to ignore President Trump's request to loosen restrictions on border wall funding as part of a short-term spending deal. © The Hill Congress set to ignore Trump's wall request in stopgap measure The ask, included in the Trump administration's 21-page wish list for a continuing resolution (CR), comes amid renewed tensions over the border ahead of a Sept. 30 deadline to avoid another government shutdown. The administration also announced recently it was moving forward with shifting $3.6 billion from military projects to wall construction.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!