US: Pentagon pulls funds for military schools, daycare to pay for Trump's border wall - - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

USPentagon pulls funds for military schools, daycare to pay for Trump's border wall

00:15  05 september  2019
00:15  05 september  2019 Source:   reuters.com

Pentagon authorizes 20 additional miles of border wall

Pentagon authorizes 20 additional miles of border wall The administration previously said the funds would cover roughly 100 miles of border fence in New Mexico, Arizona and California. The Pentagon said in a court filing that due to “lower-than-expected contract costs” it would be able to construct the additional barriers with money left over from a pot of $2.5 billion that was redirected to the border from a counter-drug fund.

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon will delay or suspend 127 military construction projects so that .6 billion can be diverted to shore up President Trump ’ s border wall , Defense Department officials said Tuesday.

Funds for construction projects for military bases across the world could also go toward the “Money From a Retirement Program for the U.S. Military is Set to Be Diverted to Pay for Trump ’ s Border Wall .” A local news report and viral Facebook post omitted crucial information about a plan to " pull

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Wednesday it would pull funding from 127 Defense Department projects, including schools and daycare centers for military families, as it diverts $3.6 billion to fund President Donald Trump's wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

Pentagon pulls funds for military schools, daycare to pay for Trump's border wall© Reuters/Lucy Nicholson FILE PHOTO: New bollard-style U.S.-Mexico border fencing is seen in Santa Teresa

Schools for the children of U.S. military members from Kentucky to Germany to Japan will be affected. A daycare center at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland - the home of Air Force One - will also have its funds diverted, the Pentagon said.

Pentagon approves use of military construction funds to build Trump's border wall

Pentagon approves use of military construction funds to build Trump's border wall Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has authorized the use of $3.6 billion in military construction funds for 11 wall projects on the southern border with Mexico, according to defense officials and a letter from Esper to the Senate Armed Services Committee, which has been obtained by CNN. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); In his letter, Esper told Congress he has "determined that 11 military construction projects along the international border with Mexico, with an estimated total cost of $3.

By doing so, Trump could unlock certain funds provided under statutes previously passed by Congress, such as Defense Department officials told CNN that the Pentagon is planning a figure of about .5 billion in funds they believe they can tap to support construction of a border wall if Trump

Trump floated the idea of using military funds to pay for the wall after being disappointed by the amount of money allocated for border security in Trump suggested the idea in a tweet on Sunday morning. "What I can tell you is that the secretary has talked to the president about it," chief Pentagon

Trump declared a national emergency earlier this year to access the funds from the military construction budget. In March, the Pentagon sent to Congress a broad list of projects that could be affected.

A Pentagon official said in a briefing that the department was given a "lawful order" by Trump to divert the funds. She said the Pentagon is working closely with Congress and its allies abroad to find funding to replace money diverted for the wall, but that there aren't "any guarantees" that those funds will come.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon said the first $1.8 billion would come from projects outside the United States, followed by projects inside the country.

ACLU to ask court to block $3.6B reallocated from military projects to border wall

ACLU to ask court to block $3.6B reallocated from military projects to border wall The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on Tuesday said it would ask for a court order preventing the Trump administration from reallocating military funds to use for border wall construction. © The Hill ACLU to ask court to block $3.6B reallocated from military projects to border wall The ACLU's announcement came after the administration notified lawmakers Tuesday that it would move forward with redirecting the $3.6 billion from military construction projects for use at the border. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.

Pentagon may use billion in leftover funds from military pay and pensions to help Donald Trump pay for his border wall . His request follows a five-week partial shutdown over border money. Trump ' s move also shows he intends to keep the battle for his border wall alive as the 2020 election

More attention has been paid to Trump ' s declaration of a national emergency to tap up to .6 billion from military construction projects to pay for the Frustrated lawmakers press Pentagon to reveal its plan for border wall funding . DoD officials detailed how they may redirect military construction

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said the Trump administration's reallocation of funds was a "slap in the face" to members of the U.S. military.

The wall was a central promise of Trump's 2016 campaign and remains central to his immigration policies as he aims for re-election in 2020.

Some $30 million in funds for an equipment building at Fort Huachuca in southern Arizona will be diverted to pay for the wall.

Republican U.S. Senator Martha McSally of Arizona "fought to ensure" no projects in her state would be affected and was guaranteed of that by former acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, she said in a statement. She said the Fort Huachuca project was already delayed.

House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a call with fellow Democrats on Tuesday that the diversion of military funds "will undermine our national security, quality of life and morale of our troops, and that indeed makes America less safe," according to an aide.

(Reporting by Bryan Pietsch; Additional reporting by Idrees Ali, Susan Cornwell and Richard Cowan; Editing by Peter Cooney and Bill Berkrot)

Read More

Trump's plan to pay for border wall with Air Force funds risks national security, report says.
The report, obtained by NBC News, details the importance of each of the 51 military projects chosen by the Trump administration to lose their funding.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!