US Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York removes accused priests
Arson attacks at 3 churches serving Hispanics in El Paso probed by FBI
"We are counting on assistance from members of the community to keep our city safe," the FBI said.
NEW YORK - Every priest in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Yorkagainst him has been removed from ministry, according to a report released today.
That finding was revealed in a report by former federal judge and prosecutor Barbara Jones, who was tasked by Cardinal Timothy Dolan with studying the archdiocese's handling of sex-abuse complaints.
Vatican pauses decree revoking school's Catholic status over gay teacher
The decree rescinding Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School’s status as a Catholic institution has been temporarily suspended by the Vatican. Indianapolis Archbishop Charles Thompson revoked the school's Catholic status in June after it refused to fire a gay teacher in a same-sex marriage. Brebeuf, sponsored by an order of priests called the Midwest Jesuits, appealed the archbishop's decision to the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education in Rome. That body has temporarily suspended Thompson's decree while Brebeuf's appeal is pending. Bill Verbryke, Brebeuf's president, said that he hopes the dispute will be resolved soon.
Jones, who is serving as special counsel and independent investigator for the archdiocese, looked at its policies, procedures, and protocols related to the problem. She shared her findings and recommendations at a news conference at the Catholic Center in New York City.
Jones said the current processes for dealing with sex-abuse complaints are "working very well."
The archdiocese – which covers Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam counties, along with parts of New York City and the Hudson Valley – faces a bevy of lawsuits amid accusations of sexual abuse.
Addressing the issue
Among the chief recommendations in the report is that the archdiocese upgrade its technology to better track priests' backgrounds and monitor their training. The archdiocese should also hire someone whose sole responsibility would be to oversee sex-abuse complaints, according to the report.
Justice Department sides with Catholic archdiocese that fired gay teacher
The U.S. Department of Justice issued a statement of interest Friday in support of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis over a decision that led to the firing of a Catholic teacher in a same-sex marriage, according to a report. The US Department of Justice building is seen in Washington, DC, on July 22, 2019. (Photo by Alastair Pike / AFP) (Photo credit should read ALASTAIR PIKE/AFP/Getty Images) The Justice Department's statement says the First Amendment gives the diocese the right to apply Catholic doctrine in employment decisions, The Indianapolis Star reported.
Jones also mentioned Safe Environment training that the archdiocese requires anyone working with children to undergo. That training is currently required once, but she suggested that it be an annual mandate, particularly in archdiocesan schools.
The Lay Review Board should also add new members who have more areas of expertise, Jones said. The board – which includes judges, lawyers, parents, a priest, a psychiatrist, and a religious sister – decides whether an allegation is substantiated, and if it is, recommends that the cardinal remove the priest from ministry.
Jones also is assisting in developing new protocols for dealing with allegations of abuse against adults in positions of power. She will summarize her findings and recommend how the archdiocese should respond to the sexual abuse crisis.
Some 290 lawsuits were filed against the eight dioceses of the Catholic Church in New York state, 110 of which were filed against the New York Archdiocese on the first day that suits could be filed, The Journal News/lohud previously reported.
Jones said more than $67 million has been paid to 338 people who have been abused.
Illinois opens 24 cases of alleged priest sex abuse:
Contributing: Matt Spillane, The Journal News
This article originally appeared on Rockland/Westchester Journal News:
367 people make abuse claims in applying for Pittsburgh Diocese's compensation fund .
A total of 367 people applied to a compensation fund for victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, according to its administrators. Administrators with the Washington, D.C., law firm of Kenneth Feinberg spent the past several days tallying up the applicants following the Sept. 30 deadline for claims under the diocese’s Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program. “The administrators are still going through them to see how many will be paid out,” said spokeswoman Amy Weiss. Applicants need to meet certain criteria under the diocese’s program.
NY Archdiocese Releases List of 120 Accused Abuser Priests | NBC New York
The Archdiocese of New York on Friday released a list of 120 priests and deacons that it said had been credibly accused of sexual abuse or the possession of ...
Archbishop Dolan Releases List Of Priests Linked To Sex Abuse Cases
New York's archbishop has named clergy credibly accused of sexually abusing children in the priest abuse scandal surrounding the Catholic Church. CBS2's ...