•   
  •   
  •   

US Mayor vows 'relentless' investigation in deadly Hard Rock Hotel collapse

08:00  14 october  2019
08:00  14 october  2019 Source:   abcnews.go.com

Search resumes for worker missing in New Orleans Hard Rock Hotel building site collapse that killed 2

  Search resumes for worker missing in New Orleans Hard Rock Hotel building site collapse that killed 2 Rescuers resumed searching Sunday for a worker trapped in rubble after a deadly construction collapse in New Orleans, officials said, but the building's instability is making for a precarious situation. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); "As you start to move debris, you've got to make sure that everything is shored up," New Orleans Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell said, asking for patience as teams work to ensure the structure is safe.

A crane collapsed at the Hard Rock Hotel construction site. Crews were feverishly working on Sunday to stabilize the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown New Orleans a day after the building partially collapsed , killing two construction workers, leaving a third trapped in the rubble and injuring 30 others

A crane collapsed at the Hard Rock Hotel construction site. Crews were feverishly working on Sunday to stabilize the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown New Orleans a day after the building partially collapsed , killing two construction workers, leaving a third trapped in the rubble and injuring 30 others

Crews were feverishly working on Sunday to stabilize the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown New Orleans a day after the building partially collapsed, killing two construction workers, leaving a third trapped in the rubble and injuring 30 others, officials said.

a building with a metal railing: Debris hangs on the side of the building after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on Oct. 12, 2019.© Scott Threlkeld/The Advocate via AP Debris hangs on the side of the building after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on Oct. 12, 2019.

One body has been recovered from the scene, according to New Orleans mayor LaToya Cantrell.

New Orleans Fire Chief Tim McConnell said at a news conference near the disaster site on Sunday that search-and-rescue crews were poised to reenter the building.

Beloved grandfather's body pulled from collapsed Hard Rock hotel

  Beloved grandfather's body pulled from collapsed Hard Rock hotel A family holding vigil outside the site of the Hard Rock hotel construction collapse received the news they hoped they’d never hear. Anthony Magrette’s body was pulled from the rubble, according to his wife, Nova Magrette. She tells WWL-TV that she identified his body at the Orleans Parish Coroner’s office on Sunday night.

A Hard Rock Hotel that was under construction collapsed this weekend, leaving at least one dead and several others injured. The implosion happened Saturday morning in New Orleans, when the upper deck of the hotel started to crumble in on itself apparently, after a crane fell from up above.

A large section of a Hard Rock Hotel under construction at the edge of New Orleans' historic French Quarter collapsed Saturday morning amid dust and debris, leaving at least one person dead and three unaccounted for Mayor vows ' relentless ' investigation in deadly Hard Rock Hotel collapse .

"Search and rescue continues to be our top priority at this time," McConnell said.

He said the search of the building that had been under construction was halted overnight after conditions were deemed too dangerous to allow first responders to enter.

McConnell said a large crane was also damaged in the collapse and remained in a precarious position. He said a massive crane weighing 110 tons was trucked into the city overnight from Baton Rouge and will be used to help stabilize the building once it's assembled.

Hazardous conditions, according to the chief, prevented search teams from recovering the bodies of the two construction workers killed when the upper floors of the building suddenly gave way and pancaked on one another. He said the identities of the dead construction workers and the one who remains missing have yet to be confirmed.

Damaged cranes hampering rescue efforts in partially collapsed New Orleans Hard Rock hotel

  Damaged cranes hampering rescue efforts in partially collapsed New Orleans Hard Rock hotel Rescue crews in New Orleans were still searching for a missing worker in the area where a Hard Rock Hotel and Casino building under construction partially collapsed and expressed concerns about two heavily damaged cranes that were in danger of falling down, officials said Monday. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); "We're still in rescue mode," said New Orleans Fire Chief Timothy McConnell during a news conference. "Our teams are once again, they're back in the building for the fifth time today.

The Hard Rock Hotel was planned as an 18-story building with 350 rooms for the guests and a large swimming pool. The project has been dragging on for a whole decade as it was marred by controversies over its heights being above the limits and the imprisonment of the construction company’s boss on

Mayor vows ' relentless ' investigation in deadly Hard Rock Hotel collapse . 3-year-old girl kidnapped from birthday party: Police. Giuliani's relationship with arrested men subject of criminal investigation : Sources. The Ukraine affair: What you might have missed this week.

"This is not something you take lightly," McConnell said of the search efforts. "Safety is the No. 1 thing. The last thing you want to do as you're trying to rescue someone is lose someone else."

Dr. Emily Nichols, director of Emergency Medical Services in New Orleans, said of the 30 people treated for injuries, only one remained hospitalized on Sunday.

Mayor Cantrell said she visited the injured worker late Saturday night at University Medical Center New Orleans. She said the worker, who is in stable condition, suffered a fractured femur and underwent surgery.

"He is in the best of spirits that he can be in," Cantrell said. "He told me that it could have been worse. He said it happened very fast. He heard noise, looked around and moved very, very quickly."

a group of people walking down the street: Construction workers look on after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on Oct. 12, 2019.© Scott Threlkeld/The Advocate via AP Construction workers look on after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on Oct. 12, 2019.

Cantrell said the investigation into the collapse will get underway once everyone believed to have been inside the building at the time of the collapse is accounted for.

Contractor claims video shows structural flaws prior to Hard Rock Hotel collapse

  Contractor claims video shows structural flaws prior to Hard Rock Hotel collapse A contractor posted a video arguing it showed structural problems inside the Hard Rock Hotel construction site two days before its deadly collapse.The video, posted Tuesday by a contractor, caught the attention of investigators looking into the collapse that authorities say killed three people, including one person unaccounted for who is now believed to be dead.

The New Orlean hard rock hotel being constructed in collapsed on Saturday morning (Image: Raptly/ Brandon Knox Photography ). “You couldn’t see in front of you and it lasted 30 seconds, maybe a minute.” The 350- room Hard Rock Hotel was due to open next spring but following the incident the

The new Hard Rock Hotel was under construction at the corner of Rampart Street and Canal Street, a broad boulevard just outside the French Quarter that is lined with restaurants hotels and retailers. Mayor vows ' relentless ' investigation in deadly Hard Rock Hotel collapse .

"After search and rescue, it will shift into a full-investigative mode and we will be relentless in those efforts moving forward," Cantrell said.

She identified Citadel Builders, based in Metairie, Louisiana, as the general contractor on the Hard Rock Hotel construction project. The 18-story, 350-room hotel near the city's French Quarter and Theater District was scheduled to open in 2020.

Brian Trascher, a spokesman for Citadel Builders, told ABC News on Sunday that the company is working closely with the city to stabilize the building.

"Our team is pretty much part of the incident command. We're working nonstop. There's no fusing, no arguing, no pointing fingers right now," Trascher said.

Trasher said the cause of the collapse remains under investigation.

According to preliminary information, all permits had been obtained to complete the building and that everything was "up to code," Cantrell said.

Trascher said the big problem on Sunday afternoon was how to secure the damaged crane that was listing from the side of the collapsed building. A top engineer for the company who operates the crane was flying in from Germany to assist local officials, he added.

New crane positioned near unstable New Orleans collapse site

  New crane positioned near unstable New Orleans collapse site A new construction crane has been moved to the New Orleans site where a partially collapsed building and two giant cranes are in danger of toppling after a weekend disaster that killed three workers. It was not immediately clear how it might be used in efforts to stabilize the site. It was not immediately clear how it might be used in efforts to stabilize the site. Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards was to meet with officials there Thursday and hold an afternoon news conference.

(MORE: Video: New warnings after crane crashes into building)

The collapse happened around 9:12 a.m. local time at Canal and North Rampart Streets, McConnell said.

Trasher said more than 110 construction workers were on site when the collapse happened.

In a statement to ABC News, Citadel Builders said that it "remains committed to the safety and well being of all first responders and SAR teams working in and around our construction site in New Orleans. While the process may not always move at the desired pace, rest assured that our team continues to work closely with Mayor Cantrell and Chief McConnell's personnel on the scene."

"Multiple internal and external investigations are in progress, but we are still in the infancy stages as we have not yet had access to the building. This situation is being handled much like a plane crash, in that rescue/recovery are the primary functions, followed by the search for physical and technical indicators that may provide clues to the cause," the statement continued.

Citadel Builders has flown in the chief engineer for Morrow Cranes, the crane owner, as well as the head engineer of the manufacturer from Munich, Germany, to aid in the recovery effort, according to the statement.

a large white building in a city: This aerial photo shows the Hard Rock Hotel, which was under construction, after a fatal partial collapse in New Orleans, Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019.© Gerald Herbert/AP This aerial photo shows the Hard Rock Hotel, which was under construction, after a fatal partial collapse in New Orleans, Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019.

Officials said it appeared the collapse initially affected the sixth to eighth floors before damage spread throughout a large portion of the building.

'Totally avoidable': 3 construction companies fined for deadly Seattle crane collapse

  'Totally avoidable': 3 construction companies fined for deadly Seattle crane collapse The state of Washington fined three companies involved in a crane collapse that killed four people in Seattle, determining it was "totally avoidable."Workers disassembling the construction crane removed pins holding together sections too quickly, officials said, and wind gust toppled the unsteady tower onto traffic below.

(MORE: 5-year-old girl pulled from rubble 18 hours after building collapse)

Dramatic video of the incident showed parts of the building crashing into the street as debris billowed into the air.

(MORE: Video: Crane collapses on two homes)

Cantrell said that 10 surrounding buildings, including condominiums, were evacuated and that electricity and gas to those buildings remained turned off on Sunday. Nearby streets were closed to vehicles, according to NOLA Ready, the city's emergency preparedness center.

The mayor said debris from the collapse caused extensive damage to the roof of the historic Saenger Theater across the street, forcing the remaining performances of the musical "Wicked" to be canceled.

(MORE: Video: 4 killed in deadly crane collapse)

Hard Rock International said in a statement the company had "no involvement in the construction of the project" but extended its "deepest sympathies to victims of this tragic accident and to their loved ones and friends."

ABC News' Ahmad Hemingway, Devin Vilacis and Matt Foster contributed to this report.

New Orleans Hard Rock Hotel collapse: two cranes demolished at construction site in New Orleans .
Now that two cranes at the partially collapsed Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans are toppled, crews can begin searching for two bodies that remain in the debris, city officials said Sunday. © Scott Threlkeld/The Advocate/AP Debris hangs on the side of the building after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019. Several construction workers had to run to safety as the Hard Rock Hotel, which has been under construction for the last several months, came crashing down. It was not immediately clear what caused the collapse or if anyone was injured.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!