US Wisconsin jury awards $450,000 in Sandy Hook defamation case
Study: U.S. Gun Deaths Surge, Except for Two States With Restrictive Gun Laws
Nearly one-fifth of all people living in the United States who died at the hands of a firearm since 1999 were killed over a three-year period. The study reported that only two states, California and New York, and the District of Columbia saw firearm mortality rates decline in recent years. This is notable considering these jurisdictions' relatively strict gun laws.New York observes several key restrictions on gun ownership that severely curtail access to firearms.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A jury in Wisconsin has awarded $450,000 to the father of a boy killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting after he filed a defamation lawsuit against conspiracy theorist writers who claimed the massacre never happened.
A Dane County jury on Tuesday decided the amount James Fetzer must pay Leonard Pozner, whose 6-year-old son Noah was among the 26 victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, on Dec. 14, 2012.
Fetzer, a retired University of Minnesota Duluth professor now living in Wisconsin, and Mike Palacek co-wrote a book, "Nobody Died at Sandy Hook," in which they claimed the Sandy Hook shooting never took place but was instead an event staged by the federal government as part of an Obama administration effort to enact tighter gun restrictions.ruled Pozner was defamed by statements in the book that claimed he fabricated copies of his son's death certificate.
Jeffrey Epstein accuser's lawsuit against Alan Dershowitz can proceed, judge rules
Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre filed a defamation case against Dershowitz in April, saying he falsely claimed she fabricated her accusations.Dershowitz, a professor emeritus at Harvard and former lawyer for Epstein, has been embroiled for years in the child sexual abuse scandal surrounding Epstein, who died by suicide in August.
Fetzer called the damages amount "absurd" and said he would appeal.
Palacek reached a settlement with Pozner last month, terms of which were not disclosed.
Pozner has been pushing back for years against hoaxers who have harassed him, subjected him to death threats and claimed that he was an actor and his son never existed. He has spent yearsto remove conspiracy videos and set up a website to debunk conspiracy theories.
Others who lost relatives in the Newtown shooting have joined the fight lately after quietly enduring harassment and ridiculous assertions for years. Their efforts have turned the tables on the hoaxers. Aby Sandy Hook parents against Alex Jones, host of the conspiracy-driven "Infowars" website, is pending.
'Hollywood Ripper' trial: Jury recommends death penalty
A jury has recommended the death penalty for Michael Gargiulo, known as the "Hollywood Ripper," the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said Friday.Gargiulo, 43, was found guilty in August of two counts of first-degree murder, one count of willful, deliberate and premeditated attempted murder and attempted escape, according to a news release from the DA's office.
Pozner thanked the jury "for recognizing the pain and terror that Mr. Fetzer has purposefully inflicted on me and on other victims of these horrific mass casualty events, like the Sandy Hook shooting," and emphasized that his case was not about First Amendment protections, thereported.
"Mr. Fetzer has the right to believe that Sandy Hook never happened," he said. "He has the right to express his ignorance. This award, however, further illustrates the difference between the right of people like Mr. Fetzer to be wrong and the right of victims like myself and my child to be free from defamation, free from harassment and free from the intentional infliction of terror."
Pozner testified during the trial that he's been repeatedly harassed by people who don't believe the Sandy Hook shooting occurred, including through messages posted to photos of his son on a memorial website. He said Fetzer's writing caused him to worry about his safety and his family's safety and how his surviving children could be treated. One of his two daughters is Noah's twin.
Information from: Wisconsin State Journal,
Jury recommends life in prison for Markeith Loyd .
After just an hour of deliberation a jury recommended that Markeith Loyd be sentenced to life in prison for killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend, Sade Dixon. Moments after the jury made the recommendation, Circuit Judge Leticia Marques handed down the sentence of life in prison. Loyd was convicted last week in the slaying of Dixon. He is also accused of fatally shooting Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton and will go on trial in that case later. LoydMoments after the jury made the recommendation, Circuit Judge Leticia Marques handed down the sentence of life in prison.