US Mount Rushmore July 4th fireworks: South Dakota governor sues Interior Dept. over denial of permit
Overnight Energy: Dakota Access to ask Supreme Court to hear pipeline case | Biden admin sued over rejection of Mount Rushmore fireworks | Interior appoints first Native American chief of staff
TGIF!!! Welcome to Overnight Energy, your source for the day's energy and environment news.Please send tips and comments to Rachel Frazin at firstname.lastname@example.org . Follow her on Twitter: @RachelFrazin . Reach Zack Budryk at email@example.com or follow him on Twitter: @BudrykZack . Signup for our newsletter and others HERE. Today we're looking at the company behind the Dakota Access Pipeline appealing to the Supreme Court, a lawsuit against the Biden administration from South Dakota and another first at the Interior Department.
Republican South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem is suing Interior Department officials including Secretary Deb Haaland for declining to grant a permit for a Fourth of July event including, according to a news release from the governor's office.
"After telling us they'd 'circle back,' the Biden administration has not responded to our request to uphold the Memorandum of Agreement between the State of South Dakota and the National Parks Service (NPS) to host a safe and responsible national celebration and fireworks show," Noem said in the release.
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem sued the Biden administration because it wont let her hold a July 4 fireworks show at Mount Rushmore
Last year, former President Donald Trump spoke at the July 3 fireworks show at Mount Rushmore. This year, the US government refused to issue a permit."After telling us they'd 'circle back,' the Biden administration has not responded to our request to uphold the Memorandum of Agreement between the State of South Dakota and the National Parks Service (NPS) to host a safe and responsible national celebration and fireworks show," Noem, a Republican in her first term, said in a Friday press release.
"Unfortunately, the new administration departed from precedent and reneged on this agreement without any meaningful explanation," she continued, adding that she was asking a federal court to block the Interior Department's "denial of the fireworks permit and order it to issue a permit for the event expeditiously."
"Last year's Mount Rushmore Fireworks Celebration was held safely and responsibly and had a huge positive impact on the South Dakota economy," the release said.
The lawsuit comes after former President Donald Trump -- of whom Noem has been a staunch ally --last year for the Fourth of July.
"We're getting them. I got fireworks,"on the Dan Bongino podcast. "For 20 years or something it hasn't been allowed for environmental reasons. You believe that one? It's all stone. So I'm trying to say where's the environmental reason? Anyway, I got it approved, so I'm going to go there on July 3rd, and they're going to have the big fireworks."
Minaret vaccination, Rushmore fight, enrollment drops: News from around our 50 states
How the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting every stateStart the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.
The Interior Department declined to comment Friday when contacted by CNN, pointing to a copy of its letter to South Dakota Tourism Secretary Jim Hagen stating that the department was "unable to grant" the state's permit request.
"The 2019 Memorandum of Agreement between the State of South Dakota and the Department of the Interior commits us to work together to bring fireworks back to the Memorial in a safe and responsible manner," National Park Service Regional Director Herbert Frost, who also is named in Noem's lawsuit, wrote in the March 11 letter.
"Potential risks to the park itself and to the health and safety of employees and visitors associated with the fireworks demonstration continue to be a concern and are still being evaluated as a result of the 2020 event," he continued. "In addition, the park's many tribal partners expressly oppose fireworks at the Memorial. These factors, compiled with the COVID-19 pandemic, do not allow a safe and responsible fireworks display to be held at this site."
Oklahoma court overturns two death sentences, citing McGirt
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Thursday overturned the death sentences of two more convicted killers, following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that Oklahoma lacks jurisdiction for crimes on tribal reservations in which the defendants or victims are tribal citizens. The court reversed the convictions of Benjamin Robert Cole Sr., 56, and 59-year-old James Chandler Ryder. Cole had been sentenced to death for killing his 9-month-old daughter in Rogers County in 2002. Ryder had been sentenced to death for the 1999 killing of Daisy Hallum, 70, and to life without parole for killing her son, Sam Hallum, 38, in Pittsburg County.
There was no social distancing at last year's event, despite the record-high number of new coronavirus cases in the United States at the time. The event also took place amid environmental concerns over the use of fireworks in the dry land and as the country engaged in a reckoning over its monuments and racist history. There were July Fourth fireworks at Mount Rushmore for several years, but they had been discontinued in 2009 over environmental concerns, including increased risk of fires.
Theahead of last year's event and concluded the fireworks would have "no significant impact."
Noem said last year that advancements in pyrotechnics and a strengthened forest led to the decision to have the fireworks return to the site in 2020.
, the agency worked with the state of South Dakota, local communities, the South Dakota Highway Patrol and the fireworks contractor and staff to develop a wildland fire response plan and a Unified Command incident management team.
In the lawsuit, dated April 30, lawyers for Noem wrote that "In October 2019, DOI and the State signed a memorandum of understanding to continue the traditional fireworks show in 2020 and the years thereafter."
"On March 11, 2021, DOI sent the State an abrupt, 620-word letter stating that the Independence Day fireworks show would not be allowed at the Memorial this year," they continued. "The letter contained no specific factual findings, referenced no implementing laws or governing regulations, and included no discussion of any other objective determinations."
Asserting that such a "failure to 'articulate a satisfactory explanation for its action' " was a violation of federal statute, the lawyers urged a judge to block "DOI's denial of the permit and order it to issue a permit for the event expeditiously."
OVERNIGHT ENERGY: Court sets in motion EPA ban on pesticide linked to developmental issues | Trump Interior Secretary Zinke files to run for Congress, again | Senate passes bipartisan $35B water infrastructure bill .
HAPPY THURSDAY!!! Welcome to Overnight Energy, your source for the day's energy and environment news.Please send tips and comments to Rachel Frazin at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on Twitter: @RachelFrazin. Reach Zack Budryk at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter: @BudrykZack. Signup for our newsletter and others HERE. Today we're looking at a court ruling paving the way for a ban on a pesticide linked to developmental issues, Ryan Zinke's potential return to Congress and a water infrastructure bill that passed the Senate.