US North Miami Beach residents of evacuated high-rise can go back -- but just to move out after Surfside collapse
After Surfside tower collapse, condo residents beyond Florida wonder if they need to worry
Residents of the tens of millions condo buildings in the US -- particularly on the coast -- have been feeling anxious and unnerved since the deadly Champlain Towers North collapse last month.Salomon Gold expects to celebrate his 90th birthday next month in his Champlain Towers North condo in Florida, where for decades he has enjoyed views of the turquoise blue waves of the Atlantic lapping on Surfside Beach.
After the deadlyin , an audit of similar buildings in Miami-Dade County prompted North Beach authorities to evacuate and shut down another high rise after a sketchy safety report.
The Champlain Towers South building in Surfside crumbled apart on June 24, leaving at least 97 dead in the early morning hours, as most of the victims were sleeping. Then on July 2, North Miami Beach authorities said that an inspector’s report found serious structural flaws with the 10-story Crestview Towers building 7 miles away.
Now, residents can finally go back – but only to pack up and move out, the city said Wednesday.
Judge approves sale of site of deadly Florida condo collapse
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida judge on Wednesday approved the sale of the oceanfront property where a collapsed Florida condominium building once stood, with proceeds intended to benefit victims of the deadly disaster. At a hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman ordered that the process begin to sell the site of Champlain Towers South, which could fetch $100 million to $110 million according to court records. The court-appointedAt a hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman ordered that the process begin to sell the site of Champlain Towers South, which could fetch $100 million to $110 million according to court records.
"Starting today, residents who want to move out of the building will be able to reserve a time to access their units and remove belongings starting next Monday, July 26," a city spokesperson said in a statement. "There is no time limit to complete the move, as long as residents finish before the end of the day. However, move-out times are limited by the fact that there is only one functioning elevator in the tower."
Residents will be accompanied by city police escorts due to safety concerns, but professional movers, friends, family or other helpers will be permitted as well.
Residents had been permitted to retrieve only essential items as of last week.
At least 97 people died in Surfside collapse. The search for bodies just ended: 5 Things podcast
The search for bodies at the Surfside condo collapse site ended Friday. At least 97 people died. Hear from Miami rescue workers on today's 5 Things episode.Hit play on the player above to hear the podcast and follow along with the transcript below. This transcript was automatically generated, and then edited for clarity in its current form. There may be some differences between the audio and the text.
Video: Rescue turns to recovery in Surfside condo collapse (Reuters)
The evacuations came after the Crestview condo board turned in a building inspection report that found structural deficiencies.
"Following the tragic collapse of Champlain Towers South on June 24, North Miami Beach immediately launched a thorough review of all condo high rise buildings above five stories to determine if they are in compliance with the county and city 40 Year Recertification process and certified as safe for occupancy," the city said at the time. "Today, Crestview Towers submitted a recertification report, dated Jan. 11, 2021, in which an engineer retained by the condo association board concluded that the 156-unit building was structurally and electrically unsafe."
The 11-page report, which the city released to the public, shows engineer Robert Barreiro found distressed beams, columns, walls and other damage to the building.
He also found cracks and spalls throughout the structure and signs of moisture intrusion, as well as corroded rebar.
In a summary of the report, he wrote that he found the building "structurally no (sic) safe for the specified use for continued occupancy."
He found the building's masonry in "poor" condition and wrote that exposed steel had suffered a "fair amount of corrosion throughout."
He recommended extensive concrete repairs. The report also found extensive faults in the building's electrical system.
"Significant…structural repairs will be required," the report reads.
Miami-Dade judge approves pursuing sale of Surfside property that is site of condo collapse .
SURFSIDE, Fla. — Hundreds of victims of the deadly collapse of a Surfside condo building could expect to see compensation in the near future, as a Miami-Dade Circuit judge Wednesday approved the planned sale of the oceanfront property, valued at more than $100 million, as well as the disbursement of millions more in insurance payments for property and personal damages. Circuit Judge Michael Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman told a courtroom packed with civil attorneys that he wanted to start the process of putting the site of the partially collapsed 12-story Champlain Towers South up for sale immediately.