•   
  •   
  •   

US Firefighters end search for bodies at Surfside condo collapse site

20:14  24 july  2021
20:14  24 july  2021 Source:   today.com

Judge approves sale of site of deadly Florida condo collapse

  Judge approves sale of site of deadly Florida condo collapse MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida judge on Wednesday approved the sale of the oceanfront property where a collapsed Florida condominium building once stood, with proceeds intended to benefit victims of the deadly disaster. At a hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman ordered that the process begin to sell the site of Champlain Towers South, which could fetch $100 million to $110 million according to court records. The court-appointedAt a hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman ordered that the process begin to sell the site of Champlain Towers South, which could fetch $100 million to $110 million according to court records.

Firefighters ended their search for bodies at the site of a collapsed Florida condo building on Friday, after a month of painstaking work amongst the dangerous debris that was once piled several stories high.

At least one more missing person is yet to be identified, following the collapse of the 12-story Champlain Towers South in the early hours of June 24. If found, Estelle Hedaya, 54, would bring the death toll to 98.

"As we enter month two alone, without any other families, we feel helpless," her younger brother Ikey told the Associated Press Friday.

The site has been mostly swept flat and the rubble moved to a Miami warehouse. Forensic scientists are still at work, some examining the debris at the warehouse, but there are no more bodies to be found where the building once stood.

Air quality around Surfside condo collapse site being monitored for safety of work crews

  Air quality around Surfside condo collapse site being monitored for safety of work crews Officials are monitoring the air quality in and around the South Florida condo collapse site in an effort to keep first responders safer as recovery operations continue. Since the June 23 partial collapse of the Champlain Towers South building in Surfside and the demolition of the rest of the structure earlier this month, efforts have shifted from rescue to recovery as crews sift through the rubble.

Officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department would continue to search "the debris pile both for human remains and for personal items," according to a statement from the office of Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava.

The decision to transition the operation comes after search teams spent weeks battling the hazards of the rubble, including an unstable portion of the building that teetered above.

Crews worked 12-hour shifts, tunneling beneath the parking structure and working on the debris from above in the hunt for survivors. The mission was formally shifted to a recovery operation on July 7, almost two weeks after the disaster.

Recurring fire and Florida's stifling summer heat and thunderstorms also hampered the operation.

Surfside downtown suffers after condo building collapse

  Surfside downtown suffers after condo building collapse “In the last year, we saw maybe 15 businesses on the street here close. I hope we don’t see that again now," one business owner said.Michael Labi, who manages the restaurant owned by his family, noted how slow business had become in recent weeks since Champlain Towers South collapsed a mile away.

Except during the early hours after the collapse, survivors never emerged.

“It’s obviously devastating. It’s obviously a difficult situation across the board," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Alan Cominsky said at a ceremony marking the end of the operation.

Calling it an "unprecedented disaster," in a statement, Levine Cava said in a statement that the fire crews were "true superheroes who have stepped up to serve this community."

Stephanie Palmer, a search team manager from Coral Springs, said she was leaving the deployment Friday with mixed emotions — including that they haven't been able to find everyone missing, and their feelings for all of the families affected in the tragedy.

"It's very personal to us, and this will never go away," she said. "Our hearts will always be with them."

This article was originally published by NBCNews.com

Fire rescue crews leave site of Surfside condo collapse after monthlong response .
MIAMI — Miami-Dade County has announced that fire rescue crews who have been at the site of the Surfside condo collapse since the night of the tragedy will be handing over the remainder of the recovery effort to Miami-Dade Police. MIAMI — Miami-Dade County has announced that fire rescue crews who have been at the site of the Surfside condo collapse since the night of the tragedy will be handing over the remainder of the recovery effort to Miami-Dade Police.

usr: 1
This is interesting!