World: U.S. troops who repelled Russian mercenaries prepare for more attacks - - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

World U.S. troops who repelled Russian mercenaries prepare for more attacks

04:57  16 march  2018
04:57  16 march  2018 Source:   nbcnews.com

Russian cargo plane crashes in Syria; 32 dead

  Russian cargo plane crashes in Syria; 32 dead A military cargo plane crashed as it was descending to land at a Russian air base in Syria on Tuesday, killing all 32 people onboard, the Russian Defense Ministry said.The Russian military said an An-26, with 26 passengers and six crew members onboard, crashed just 500 meters (1,600 feet) from the runway. The military blamed the crash on a technical error.

U . S . troops who came under fire from Russian mercenaries prepare for more attacks . While there were no U . S . casualties, Braga worries that more clashes may follow. The Americans and their allies are fortifying embankments to prepare for potential future confrontations.

Learn more . You're viewing YouTube in Russian . You can change this preference below. NBC News’ Richard Engel took an exclusive trip inside Eastern Syria with U . S . Special Forces Brig. Gen. Jonathan Braga, who said troops would be ready for another attack .

Image: Deir ez-ZorAn oil and natural gas refinery that is guarded by a U.S. base in Deir ez-Zor, Syria. © Provided by NBCU News Group, a division of NBCUniversal Media LLC Image: Deir ez-ZorAn oil and natural gas refinery that is guarded by a U.S. base in Deir ez-Zor, Syria.

DEIR EZ-ZOR, Syria — Standing on a windswept mound, Brig. Gen. Jonathan Braga pointed to the spot just a mile away from where Russian mercenaries and fighters loyal to the Syrian government fired at his soldiers.

"Those artillery rounds could have landed and killed Americans, and that's why we continue to prepare our defenses," said Braga, the director of operations for the U.S.-led anti-Islamic State coalition.

Only steps away sits a sprawling oil and gas refinery that American forces captured from ISIS last year and that is just beginning to hum with life again.

Top Russian and US generals speak amid threats over Syria

  Top Russian and US generals speak amid threats over Syria America's top military officer, Gen. Joseph Dunford, spoke with his Russian counterpart Gen. Valery Gerasimov, on Tuesday, the same day Gerasimov threatened to target US forces in Syria should they retaliate against the regime's use of chemical weapons.Load Error

U . S . troops who came under fire from Russian mercenaries prepare for more attacks . Only steps away sits a sprawling oil and gas refinery that American forces captured from Braga' s forces repelled the surprise assault from the pro-Bashar al-Assad fighters and the Russian private military contractors.

Jonathan Braga, who said troops would be ready for another attack . NBC News’ Richard Engel took an exclusive trip inside Eastern Syria with U . S . Special Forces Brig. Gen. Jonathan Braga, who said troops would be ready for another attack .March 15, 2018.

Braga's forces repelled the surprise assault from the pro-Bashar al-Assad fighters and the Russian private military contractors. The Feb. 7 clash was the first time in 50 years that Americans and Russians have engaged in direct combat.

While there were no U.S. casualties, Braga worries that more clashes may follow. The Americans and their allies are fortifying embankments to prepare for potential future confrontations.

A team from NBC News visited the base this week to speak with Braga and other U.S. military personnel on the ground during the attack — the first group of journalists to do so. There are around 2,000 American troops in Syria fighting ISIS, which has been pushed out of much of the territory it once controlled.

While they are opposed to Assad's government, the Americans have not been targeting the regime's soldiers and its allies in the civil war, including Russia, Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah militia.

U.S. hits Russians with sanctions for election meddling, cyber attacks

  U.S. hits Russians with sanctions for election meddling, cyber attacks The United State announced sanctions on Thursday against 19 Russian individuals and five groups."The administration is confronting and countering malign Russian cyber activity, including their attempted interference in U.S. elections, destructive cyber-attacks, and intrusions targeting critical infrastructure," Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said in a statement.

Euphrates Shield Forces Repelled YPG Attack in Kafr Kalbin. Map of Syrian Revolution, Civil war in Syria, Russian war on Syria, ISIS war on Syria. Sides of conflict. Pro-Assad forces, Syrian army, NDF, Russia , IRGC from Iran, Hezbollah, Shia groups from Iraq, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon.

NBC News’ Richard Engel took an exclusive trip inside Eastern Syria with U . S . Special Forces Brig. Gen. Jonathan Braga, who said troops would be ready for another attack .

Braga's men launched punishing airstrikes and artillery fire at the pro-regime fighters and Russian mercenaries. The Pentagon called the attack retaliation for their "unprovoked" incursion into territory controlled by the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, a coalition of Kurds and Syrian rebels.

Braga also confirmed previous media reports that between 200 and 300 mercenaries employed by a Russian contracting firm died in the attack. Those figures are "close to our estimates," he said in the first public acknowledgment by a U.S. official that mercenaries from Russia took part in the six-hour confrontation.

That mercenaries working for a Russian company were involved has risked igniting tensions with Moscow, an outcome that the White House and the Kremlin have sought to avoid. Both have downplayed the involvement of Russian fighters.

On the night of the attack, Braga said he was "absolutely concerned" the clash could turn into a larger confrontation with Russia.

Russia to expand "black list" of Americans in response to sanctions - RIA

  Russia to expand Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Friday Moscow would respond to a new set of United States sanctions by expanding its "black list" of Americans, RIA news agency reported.The U.S. Treasury slapped sanctions on 19 Russian citizens and five entities on Thursday in the most significant steps the United States has taken against Russia since U.S. President Donald Trump took office.

Questions remain about exactly who the Russian mercenaries were, and why they attacked . American intelligence officials say that the Wagner Group A version of this article appears in print on , on Page A5 of the New York edition with the headline: How U . S . Commandos Survived 4-Hour Battle

Learn more . You're viewing YouTube in Russian . The Obama administration sent thousands of American troops to Europe through the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in response U . S . Troops Who Came Under Fire From Russian Mercenaries Prepare For More Attacks | NBC Nightly News

The attacking force has since retreated and is now stationed three miles away.

"There is no reason for that amount of combat power to be staring at us this closely," Braga said. "I don't think that's healthy for de-escalation."

U.S. officials said the Feb. 7 incident was the largest attack that American forces had faced in Syria since they entered the conflict.

The attacking force was likely hoping to capture several oil and natural gas fields held by the U.S. allies, according to multiple U.S. military officials with direct knowledge of the incident.

Image: Brig. Gen. Jonathan BragaBrig. Gen. Jonathan Braga speaks to NBC News' Richard Engel. © Provided by NBCU News Group, a division of NBCUniversal Media LLC Image: Brig. Gen. Jonathan BragaBrig. Gen. Jonathan Braga speaks to NBC News' Richard Engel.

In the hours leading up to the assault, Braga said U.S. forces noticed "vehicle movements, troop movements, rehearsals like we hadn't seen before" — followed two hours later by artillery fire.

Braga says he immediately called his Russian counterparts on a "deconfliction" phone line and continued to speak with them throughout the confrontation. The Russians, he said, maintained that it was not their force advancing on the U.S. base. He described the conversations as "professional and responsive."

UK police say spy poisoning investigation likely to take months

  UK police say spy poisoning investigation likely to take months The investigation into a nerve agent attack on former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter is likely to take several months as it is one of the most complex undertaken by British counter terrorism officers, police said on Monday. "This is one of the largest and most complex investigations undertaken by British counter terrorism policing," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. British counter terrorism police were involved in investigating five major attacks last year."The investigation is highly likely to take many months," the statement said.

This were contracted Russian mercenaries fighting for the Syrian Side. U . S . Troops Who Came Under Fire From Russian Mercenaries Prepare For More Attacks | NBC Nightly News - Продолжительность: 2:35 NBC News 645 833 просмотра.

Braga' s forces repelled the surprise assault from the pro-Bashar al-Assad fighters and the Russian private The Americans and their allies are fortifying embankments to prepare for potential future The Pentagon called the attack retaliation for their “unprovoked” incursion into territory controlled by

In public statements after the incident, the administration offered few details about what transpired and omitted any mention of involvement by Russian fighters. When pressed by reporters, Defense Secretary James Mattis and other military officials refused to comment on the composition of the attacking force.

Statements from the Kremlin have been vague and contradictory. At first, the Kremlin said that no Russians were involved and that the attack had not been authorized by or coordinated with the Russian Defense Ministry. One week later — following reports in the Russian news media that Russian private military contractors had been killed — the Kremlin announced that five Russian citizens had indeed died. That figure was later amended to "several dozen" Russians and citizens of the former Soviet Union.

"It's notable that both Russia and the U.S. tried to downplay it, especially given the casualties involved," said Noah Bonsey, a senior analyst at the International Crisis Group. U.S. forces "wanted to send a message that they would defend this ground. By downplaying it, it makes it easier for the other side to downplay it."

"The U.S. doesn't see any interest in escalating with Russia," Bonsey said.

Richard Engel reported from Deir ez-Zor, and Kennett Werner reported from London.

Trump to decide Friday on new policy for transgender troops, likely limiting their service .
Trump can accept Defense Secretary Jim Mattis' proposal on transgender troops or return to pre-2016 policy that effectively bans their service.In August, President Trump sent Defense Secretary Jim Mattis a memo ordering him to propose changes to the Obama-era policy that allows transgender troops to serve openly and receive medical treatment, including sexual reassignment surgery.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!