•   
  •   
  •   

World Pentagon video throws new light on fate of American troops killed in Niger ambush

07:25  17 may  2018
07:25  17 may  2018 Source:   cnn.com

Lockheed resumes F-35 jet deliveries to Pentagon: official

  Lockheed resumes F-35 jet deliveries to Pentagon: official The U.S. Department of Defense has resumed accepting F-35 jet deliveries from Lockheed Martin Corp after reaching an agreement on who would cover the costs to fix a production error, a Pentagon official said on Monday. The terms of the agreement were not disclosed. The cost of the fix was $119 million, people familiar with the situation had previously told Reuters.The Pentagon had stopped deliveries since at least April 11, when Lockheed first acknowledged to Reuters that the Pentagon was not taking new planes.

A 23-minute video that was used to brief members of Congress on the October 2017 Niger ambush that killed four US soldiers and five Nigeriens provides new insight into what went wrong.

The Pentagon said that numerous failures led to the October 2017 attack in Niger that left four U.S. soldiers dead. It was the largest loss of American troop New video released of U.S. soldier killed in Niger - Продолжительность: 2:06 CBS Evening News12 076 просмотров.

a group of people posing for the camera © US Defense Department

A 23-minute video that was used to brief members of Congress on the October 2017 Niger ambush that killed four US soldiers and five Nigeriens provides new insight into what went wrong.

The video, produced by the US military and given to CNN by the Pentagon, comes on the heels of the summary of a classified 6,000-word US military report being made public last week.

The video, not previously released to the public, shows the body of Sgt. La David Johnson being recovered from under a thorn tree in Niger, 48 hours after he was killed in the ISIS ambush. Footage from a drone overhead showing Johnson's recovery comes at the end of the video as Nigerien forces bring his body out from under a tree and prepare to load him into a truck to return him to American forces.

Leaders of U.S. soldiers killed in Niger filed misleading mission plan

  Leaders of U.S. soldiers killed in Niger filed misleading mission plan The soldiers who were ambushed in Niger had set out to catch or kill the leader of an ISIS affiliate, says an upcoming report.The three officials say that a report compiled by investigators, which will be briefed to Congress this week, found that both men believed they had the authority to carry out a capture or kill mission against a high-value target even if they had filed paperwork for a less risky operation — because other officers in the area had previously bypassed the same basic military procedures.

Report released on the death of four American soldiers killed in Niger in an ambush by a group of about 100 ISIS fighters; Lucas Tomlinson reports from the Pentagon . Hidden Meanings Behind Childish Gambino's 'This Is America ' Video Explained - Продолжительность: 4:51 INSIDER 15 859

Jordan releases security footage of shooting of 3 US troops - Продолжительность: 6:13 American Fourth U.S. soldier killed in Niger ambush identified - Продолжительность: 1:20 CBS News 13 Video of deadly Niger ambush raises questions about military mission - Продолжительность: 2:42

Defense officials said this portion of the video has been shown to the Johnson family.

Johnson's fate had captured national attention when it was revealed he could not be located for hours after the ambush. Based on evidence gathered at the scene, it is now clear he was separated from his unit, tried to get to a safe position but was overrun and killed.

The entire video which includes extensive details about the mission and the attack on the 12-member team and their partner Nigerien force had been shown to members of Congress as well as during military briefings on the seven-month investigation into the October 4 ambush.

The other Americans killed were Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson and Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright. Niger has not released the names of its soldiers who were killed in the attack.

Pentagon to unveil probe into Niger ambush that killed 4

  Pentagon to unveil probe into Niger ambush that killed 4 The Pentagon on Thursday is releasing the final report on the Niger attack that killed four Americans last October. Officials say it concludes that the Army Special Forces team did not get required command approval for the initial risky mission to go after a high-level insurgent. A family member is concerned that the Army may be pinning the blame on lower-ranking soldiers and not accepting responsibility high enough up the chain of command. He calls it "a screwed-up mess."Load Error

Leaked ISIS propaganda video allegedly shows deaths of US troops in Niger ambush . 7, 2018. Pentagon reverses controversial GI Bill transfer policy for wounded warriors, VA still behind schedule on implementing Forever GI Bill, and a new website helps combat vets get jobs.

Four US servicemen killed in ambush by local Isis affiliate. Five Nigerien and four American soldiers were killed . A swarm of motorbikes, then heavy fire: witnesses shed new light on Niger attack.

Two staff officials in the Pentagon press office asked that the video of Johnson being recovered not be shown but the Pentagon ultimately decided to make it public after requests were made by the media.

For the first time, the video shows segments of the aftermath of the ambush taken by drones and aircraft overhead. The segments are labeled on the recording as "mission" footage indicating they show the actual event, according to two defense officials.

The footage shows a group of seven American and four Nigerien troops escaped the ambush after several minutes and fled into a swamp to establish their final defensive position. The video narrator notes they all believed at that point they were going to be killed.

"They wrote short messages to loved ones on personal devices, believing they would soon be overrun," says the US military narrator.

The footage also shows one American step into a clearing waving a US flag to signal the group's identity. "French helicopters arrived in the vicinity at 1600 hours and searched for the team for 40 minutes. A team member moved into a clearing, waved an American flag to the helicopters to establish their identity as friendly forces," the narrator says.

Military investigation finds series of failures led to deadly Niger ambush

  Military investigation finds series of failures led to deadly Niger ambush A series of failures and deficiencies, including a lack of adequate training, contributed to the October 4, 2017, ambush.Load Error

Video : What a Soldier Killed in Niger Left Behind. The group is believed to be behind the ambush that killed four American soldiers outside Tongo Tongo, Niger . Finbarr O'Reilly for The New York Times.

Four Nigerien troops and four US special forces operatives were killed in the ensuing firefight. READ MORE: ISIS video of Niger ambush puts spotlight back on US mission in Africa. The new video shows seven Americans and four Nigeriens fleeing on foot through a swamp

What had not been revealed is what happened when another Nigerien military team came to rescue them but did not realize they were not ISIS fighters. That force "arrived by vehicle at the team's location and mistook the team for enemy forces, firing on them for 48 seconds with automatic weapons until they were positively identified. Fortunately no one was injured further," according to the military narrator.

The video also has reveals more detail than was previously revealed by the Pentagon about the fact the mission was not properly authorized and how it diverged from the original plan.

The video suggests that the team that was ambushed had received intelligence that an ISIS commander was possibly moving into their area. They submitted a mission plan to conduct reconnaissance of the area but were actually planning to go after the ISIS commander according to the military narrator.

The narration bluntly says that there was an "inaccurate mission plan." The summary published by the military made clear the team was not authorized or equipped to conduct risky capture and kill missions.

Pentagon report on deadly Niger ambush details acts of bravery by soldiers

  Pentagon report on deadly Niger ambush details acts of bravery by soldiers A Pentagon report said multiple failures, including a lack of proper training, led up to the deadly ambush in Niger last October . Four U.S. soldiers were killed and two others wounded. The team of American and Nigerien soldiers had been searching for a suspected terrorist for nearly 36 hours when they were ambushed. Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, commander of U.S. forces in Africa, said it came without warning."They had never seen anything in this magnitude, numbers, mobility and training. It was a total tactical surprise," he said.

Soldiers killed in Niger . Four US army special forces troops and five soldiers from Niger die in an ambush during a joint patrol in the south-west of the country. The Pentagon has launched a special investigation to be carried out by officers from US Africa Command, which is due to report within two

desperate final moments and deaths of four US soldiers as ISIS fighters ambush them in Niger US and allies killed 21 out of the attacking horde of roughly 50 ISIS militants Incident raised questions about role of US troops in Niger , where 800 stationed The video opens with footage of what appear to be ISIS militants riding in light pickup trucks

After failing to encounter any enemy forces the team was re-tasked by headquarters in Chad to conduct another mission and eventually ordered to investigate an abandoned encampment. The ambush happened hours later after they had left the village of Tongo Tongo on their way back to their base.

CNN has also learned that the intelligence about the ISIS commander that the team was utilizing in part came from information given to the military by the CIA including electronic intercepts, as was routinely the case in that area. Similar information was provided to another special operations team that was qualified to conduct that type of raid but that team never made it to its target because it was turned around. Officials have said they believe it faced weather issues.

For months Intelligence officials have emphasized that they did not order the military to conduct the mission. They only provided intelligence about the area.

The US military's extreme sensitivity about the entire incident has only grown since October. US Special Operations Command is now reviewing the 6,000 page report and considering possible disciplinary against some of those involved.

CNN's Ryan Browne contributed reporting.

Senior US Navy SEAL leaders in Africa suspended over alleged sexual misconduct .
The commander and the senior enlisted adviser of a US Navy SEAL Team deployed to Africa have been relieved of their duties and sent home due to sexual misconduct allegations regarding multiple fellow US military female service members, a US defense official tells CNN. "Special Operations Command Africa commander Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks suspended the Special Operations Command Forward - East Africa commander and senior enlisted adviser of their duties on May 10 due to allegations of misconduct," Maj. Casey Osborne, a spokesman for Special Operations Command Africa, told CNN. "Gen.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!