•   
  •   
  •   

World S. Korea launches its first missile-capable submarine

12:25  14 september  2018
12:25  14 september  2018 Source:   msn.com

Danish submarine killer launches appeal against life sentence

  Danish submarine killer launches appeal against life sentence Danish inventor Peter Madsen appeared in court on Wednesday to appeal against a life sentence handed to him for murdering and dismembering a Swedish journalist on board his home-made submarine. Madsen was found guilty in April of murdering and mutilating 30-year-old Kim Wall on the craft in Copenhagen harbor in 2017.His lawyers said he would not appeal against the conviction and the Eastern High Court will only rule on the decision to give him a life sentence - which typically lasts for around 15 years in Denmark.The court verdict is due on Sept 14.Wall was interviewing Madsen for the U.S.

The $700 million, 3,000-tonne Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine is capable of firing both cruise and ballistic missiles and the first of three planned diesel-electric boats to go into service in the next five years© Provided by AFP The $700 million, 3,000-tonne Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine is capable of firing both cruise and ballistic missiles and the first of three planned diesel-electric boats to go into service in the next five years

South Korea launched its first ever missile-capable attack submarine on Friday, despite a recent diplomatic thaw with the nuclear-armed North.

The $700 million, 3,000-tonne Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine is capable of firing both cruise and ballistic missiles and the first of three planned diesel-electric boats to go into service in the next five years.

It represented a "leap forward in the country's" defence industry, President Moon Jae-in told a launch ceremony at the Daewoo shipyard where it was designed and built.

Japan shows China and North Korea it can shoot down ballistic missiles, with some help from the US

  Japan shows China and North Korea it can shoot down ballistic missiles, with some help from the US A Japanese warship, relying on a US ship-based anti-missile system, successfully intercepted and destroyed an incoming ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean Tuesday evening, signaling that Japan's capabilities are maturing in the face of growing threats from China and North Korea.An upgraded Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Atago-class guided-missile destroyer detected and tracked a simple, separating ballistic missile launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility at Barking Sands, Kauai, Hawaii. Responding to the threat, the ship's onboard Aegis Weapon System tracked it and launched a Standard Missile-3 Block IB Threat Upgrade missile that intercepted it mid-flight.

"Peace through power is the unwavering security strategy of this government."

Moon will head to Pyongyang next week for a third summit with the North's leader Kim Jong Un, as US-led efforts to persuade Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons have stalled.

"We have set off on a grand journey toward the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula," Moon said.

"But peace is not given gratuitously," he added.

The new submarine is fitted with six vertical launch tubes and features indigenous sonar and combat management systems.

Aside from the new vessels, South Korea has an existing fleet of 18 smaller submarines, all built in co-operation with Germany.

According to the defence ministry, the North has 70 ageing submarines and submersibles, and Yonhap news agency reported that it has also developed a new 2,500-tonne submarine fitted with a vertical launch system.

New mission to find Argentine sub that sank with 44 crew on board .
A US vessel will begin a new search for the missing Argentine submarine that disappeared last year with 44 crew members on board, the ministry of defense said Thursday. The Seabed Constructor, owned by the company Ocean Infinity, will set out Friday from the port of Comodoro Rivadavia, some 1,800 kilometers (1,120 miles) south of Buenos Aires, carrying both Argentine sailors and relatives of the missing submariners. "We feel this is the last opportunity to find them. And we want to find out what happened," said Luis Tagliapietra, whose son Alejandro was a lieutenant on the San Juan.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!