•   
  •   
  •   

WorldUp to eight feared dead in Marseille building collapse

11:30  06 november  2018
11:30  06 november  2018 Source:   msn.com

Rescuers search rubble after buildings collapse in Marseille

Rescuers search rubble after buildings collapse in Marseille French rescue workers were searching for possible victims under the wreckage of two dilapidated buildings that suddenly collapsed Monday in the centre of the southern city of Marseille. Huge piles of rubble blocked the narrow shopping street of Rue d'Aubagne, which resembled the scene of an earthquake after the neighbouring buildings collapsed at around 9am (0800 GMT). Both buildings, in the working-class neighbourhood of Noailles, had had large visible cracks in their facades, and deputy mayor Julien Ruas said one of them, number 63, had been condemned and in theory was unoccupied.

Eight of them could be seen poking out from the rubble, in a scene Hours after the collapse , rescue workers were seen removing a body with a stretcher, and it seemed likely that there would be others. The walkway was built adjacent to the street using a method called accelerated bridge construction.

DHAKA, Bangladesh — A building housing several factories making clothing for European and American consumers collapsed into a deadly heap on Wednesday, only five months after a horrific fire at a similar facility prompted leading multinational brands to pledge to work to improve safety in the

Up to eight feared dead in Marseille building collapse© Provided by AFP Rescuers worked throughout the night to look for victims in the rubble of two dilapidated apartment blocks which collapsed suddenly on Monday morning not far from the centre of the Mediterranean port city As many as eight people might have died in the southern French city of Marseille in two building collapses, officials said Tuesday after the first body was pulled out from the wreckage.

Rescuers worked throughout the night to look for victims in the rubble of two dilapidated apartment blocks which collapsed suddenly on Monday morning not far from the centre of the Mediterranean port city.

Rescuers search for victims after buildings collapse in Marseille

Rescuers search for victims after buildings collapse in Marseille French rescue workers were searching into the night Monday for possible victims under the wreckage of two dilapidated buildings that suddenly collapsed in the centre of Marseille. Officials in the southern port city warned there were likely casualties after the two adjoining buildings collapsed around 9.00 am (0800 GMT), blocking the street with massive piles of rubble in a scene resembling the aftermath of an earthquake. "What's important is that there are as few deaths as possible, but we think there will be some," said Marseille Mayor Jean-Claude Gaudin.

France Marseille Manmade disaster Housing. Body found in collapsed Marseille building . The body of a man has been found in the ruins of one of two dilapidated buildings that collapsed in the But neighbours feared there were people inside the other. The incident has already sparked a political

Up to eight people are feared to be trapped underneath rubble after a block of flats collapsed in Naples, Italy at around 6am. News agency ANSA quoted witnesses as saying that there was no explosion before the collapse

There are between five to eight people missing, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said late Monday, with authorities trying to trace five residents and three other people who had been invited to the buildings.

"The most important is saving lives," Castaner added from the scene. "During the first clearing operations we've found some pockets of air that means we still have some hope of finding and identifying a survivor."

The first victim -- a man -- was pulled from the wreckage Tuesday, prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux said, adding that he needed to be identified.

Google Maps images taken in recent months showed the two collapsed buildings, in the working-class neighbourhood of Noailles, had had large visible cracks in their facades.

One of them had been condemned and, with its windows boarded up, was well-secured and in theory unoccupied, officials said.

Man charged in road rage stabbing of Naperville man testifies at trial he feared for his life.
A man who authorities said stabbed another motorist during a road rage incident last year in Lisle testified in court Friday that at the time he feared for his life. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); Lloyd Rose, 31, formerly of Lisle, is charged with aggravated battery. He testified for about 80 minutes as his two-day bench trial concluded in DuPage County court. Judge Liam Brennan set Nov. 15 as the date to hear closing arguments and issue his ruling on whether Rose is guilty.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!