•   
  •   
  •   

WorldWHO says it can fight Ebola outbreak despite US withdrawal

03:40  04 december  2018
03:40  04 december  2018 Source:   msn.com

Ebola outbreak in east Congo now world's 2nd biggest

Ebola outbreak in east Congo now world's 2nd biggest The Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo is now the second biggest in history, with 426 confirmed and probable cases, the health ministry said late on Thursday. The epidemic in a volatile part of Democratic Republic of Congo is now only surpassed by the 2013-2016 outbreak in West Africa, where more than 28,000 cases where confirmed, and is bigger than an outbreak in 2000 in Uganda involving 425 cases. Ebola is believed to have killed 245 people in North Kivu and Ituri provinces where attacks by armed groups and community resistance to health officials have hampered the response.

the outbreak Ebola was mistakenly thought by the international community to not be endemic to These people may be the people who can spread the virus better, but we still don't know that yet. Staff who have returned from deployments to West Africa say the clothing is so heavy that it can be

People who care for those infected with Ebola should wear protective clothing including masks, gloves, gowns and goggles.[100] The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommend that the protective gear leaves no skin exposed.[101] These measures are also recommended for those who may

WHO says it can fight Ebola outbreak despite US withdrawal© The Associated Press FILE - In this file photo dated Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018, health workers walk with a boy suspected as having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. According to a WHO announcement Thursday Nov. 29, 2018, Congo’s deadly Ebola outbreak is now the second largest in history, and predicted the outbreak will last at least another six months before it can be contained. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, FILE)

GENEVA — The head of the World Health Organization said Monday it can fight the deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo despite the withdrawal of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, insisting: "We can cover it."

Ebola cases surge in Congo, with women and children disproportionately sick

Ebola cases surge in Congo, with women and children disproportionately sick There have been 18 more cases of illness and five more deaths reported in just two days in the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to the Ministry of Health. Since the outbreak began, the total number of probable cases is now 471, including 273 deaths, the ministry reported Thursday. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); Public health authorities are investigating an additional 106 suspected cases, the ministry indicated.

Ebola outbreak map tracks Ebola virus. locate Ebola virus outbreaks . Ebola virus treatment centers are in america find out where we will tell you its on our website. “ We have established surveillance mechanisms and are following all cases and contacts,” he said .

The Ebola outbreak in Congo has been closely tracked and, so far, well-contained, in stark contrast to the 2014 West Africa outbreak that killed thousands of But with the actions — the strong actions that the government is taking now — it can limit the spread of this disease, first of all in the Congo itself

The comments by WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus came in the wake of commentaries in two medical journals appealing to the CDC to return to the epidemic zone in Congo — saying its expertise is needed. The U.S. experts have been sidelined for weeks, ordered away from the region because of State Department security concerns.

Violence by rebel groups has complicated efforts to battle what is now the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak. The CDC — which is twice as large as WHO — has said its staff would return to the epidemic area once it is safe.

Tedros said the U.N. health agency mostly needs the United States to continue the financial and other support it has provided. He noted the U.S. and many other developed countries have security guidelines that prevent deployments in conflict-ridden zones like the Ebola-hit area of eastern Congo.

New Ebola treatment trial underway in Congo as outbreak surpasses 400 cases

New Ebola treatment trial underway in Congo as outbreak surpasses 400 cases An Ebola treatment trial that has begun in the DRC is the world's first-ever multi-drug study, according to the World Health Organization. The trial began as violence continues to hinder efforts to contain an outbreak in the region.

The WHO said the presence of armed groups and the broad spread of the disease, could make " It would appear that the risk, as we can surmise for DRC, is high. For the region it 's high given the In this week's Ebola outbreak , four cases have been registered in and around the town of Mangina

The World Health Organization warns the Ebola outbreak is spreading because many people do not understand how the virus is transmitted from one person to another. A scientist with the WHO 's Control of Epidemic Diseases, Pierre Fromenti, saw an example of this in a remote village in Sierra Leone.

"We can mobilize from other parts, from those institutions who don't have very strict security provisions like that," Tedros told reporters at WHO headquarters. "We can cover it."

Tedros praised a commitment from U.S. President Donald Trump, expressed at the Group of 20 summit in Argentina over the weekend, about his administration's "support in any way possible" in the fight against the outbreak.

"They promise to continue supporting us in finance and other (ways), and that, I think, would suffice," Tedros said.

He said experts from the CDC are still helping, sharing data and analysis.

The Ebola response director for the International Rescue Committee, Dr. Stacey Mearns, said the absence of CDC experts can be felt acutely, telling The Associated Press on Friday that they have rich experience in tracking cases, testing and treatment.

Tedros said WHO has now counted some 440 cases of Ebola and 255 deaths from the outbreak in Congo's North Kivu regions that first emerged in August. He said the risk of international spread remains.

Unlike the far-deadlier outbreak in West Africa that killed more than 11,000 people from 2014 to 2016, international health experts have this time deployed a new experimental vaccine to fight Ebola. Tedros said some 39,000 people have been vaccinated during the current outbreak.

U.S. warns of 'credible' terrorist threat in Congo.
Embassy asks Americans living throughout the country to "maintain a heightened level of vigilance and practice good situational awareness"

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!