•   
  •   
  •   

World600 people leave in first evacuation from Syria IS holdout: monitor

00:20  13 january  2019
00:20  13 january  2019 Source:   msn.com

Over 2,000 evacuated from final Syria IS holdout

Over 2,000 evacuated from final Syria IS holdout More than 2,000 people including dozens of Islamic State fighters left the jihadist group's final holdout in eastern Syria in the past 24 hours, a monitor said Wednesday. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); US-backed forces are waging a final assault on the area east of the Euphrates river and have provided buses to evacuate civilians and fighters trapped inside. "In total, 2,200 people have left in the last 24 hours, including 180 IS fighters," the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

More than 4,000 people also left the devastated town of Harasta last week under a deal with the Talks with Jaish al-Islam for the evacuation of Douma have dragged on for several days, with Syria 's conflict has killed more than 350,000 people since 2011, and spiralled into a complex war involving

The Syrian government began an offensive in June forcing hundreds of displaced people to take State media said on Sunday the fact that Israel, with which Syria is formally at war, had facilitated The evacuation was the first such Israeli intervention in Syria ’s lengthy civil war, now in its eighth year.

600 people leave in first evacuation from Syria IS holdout: monitor© Provided by AFP More than 600 people, mainly women and children, were evacuated from the Islamic State's remaining holdout in eastern Syria on buses sent by the Syrian Democratic Forces

Over 600 people were evacuated Saturday from the Islamic State group's remaining holdout in eastern Syria, a monitor said, as US-backed fighters prepare for a final assault on the area.

"More than 600 people, mainly women and children, were evacuated on 25 buses sent" by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Jihadists advance against rebels in northern Syria: monitor

Jihadists advance against rebels in northern Syria: monitor Jihadists gained ground Friday from rebels in Syria's last major opposition bastion after four days of fighting that has killed more than 100 fighters, a war monitor said. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a jihadist-led alliance, seized more than 20 villages from rival rebels in the northern province of Aleppo, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The evacuation came as Syrian government forces, which are supported by Russia and Iran, have As the lines dividing those zones have solidified, large numbers of people living in them have been In addition to the evacuation of the White Helmets, hundreds of rebels and their families were bused

Red Cross says thousands more are due to make journey in coming days under deal brokered by Turkey and Russia.

Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said that several dozen jihadist fighters were among those evacuated to areas held by the Kurdish-Arab alliance.

The SDF, backed by air strikes from a US-led coalition, in September launched an offensive to oust IS from the rump of the once-sprawling "caliphate" it proclaimed in 2014.

Abdel Rahman said some 16,000 people, including 760 IS fighters, have fled the area since the start of December.

But "this is the first time that buses have been provided by the SDF and coalition", he said, suggesting a potential deal had been struck between the warring sides.

The United Nations said Friday that overall some 25,000 people have fled the violence over the last six months as the die-hard jihadists have battled to defend their dwindling bastions.

Six civilians dead in US-led strike on IS in Syria: monitor

Six civilians dead in US-led strike on IS in Syria: monitor Four children were among at least six civilians killed in a US-led air strike on the Islamic State group's embattled enclave in eastern Syria, a monitor said on Saturday. The Friday strike on the Euphrates Valley village of Baghouz killed 10 IS fighters as well as the six civilians, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. There was no immediate comment from the US-led coalition. Baghouz is part of an enclave of less than 15 square kilometres (less than six square miles) that is all that is left of IS territory in Syria following a gruelling Kurdish-led offensive launched with coalition support last May.

DOUMA, Syria (AFP) — The Syrian regime on Sunday drew closer to taking full control of rebel bastion Eastern Ghouta after a deal appeared to be reached for fighters and civilians to leave the enclave’s last opposition pocket. The agreement brokered by government ally Moscow would see fighters with the

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Russia declared on Tuesday that the four-year battle over Aleppo , Syria ’s largest city, was over, as the last remaining rebel fighters agreed to turn over their territory to the Syrian government.

An estimated 2,000 civilians remain trapped in the area around the town of Hajin, the UN said.

The US-led coalition on Saturday fired over 20 missiles against jihadist positions, the Observatory said.

The monitor said some 300 SDF combattants had deployed near the village of Sousa in preparations for a final assault.

The fight to eliminate the remaining pockets of IS has been shaken by President Donald Trump's shock December announcement that he is withdrawing US troops from Syria.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday sought to reassure Washington's Kurdish allies in the fight against IS, who fear the departure of American troops would allow Turkey to attack them.

Islamic State claims Syria suicide bombing; 4 US troops killed, official says.
BAGHDAD - Islamic State claimed a suicide bombing that killed four U.S. service members as well as civilians and Kurdish militia members in the northern Syria city of Manbij on Wednesday, according to a U.S. official. It was the deadliest day for U.S. forces in the Syrian war and comes after President Donald Trump announced he would withdraw troops from the nation based on his claim that Islamic State had been all but vanquished. The official, who also said another three U.S. service members had been wounded, spoke on the condition he not be identified. A spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Syria confirmed there were fatalities but declined to provide details.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!