World: ISIS still fighting in Syria despite Trump's assurances - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldISIS still fighting in Syria despite Trump's assurances

22:55  11 february  2019
22:55  11 february  2019 Source:   cbsnews.com

ISIS still 'acute' threat to U.S., Interpol chief says

ISIS still 'acute' threat to U.S., Interpol chief says “The threat is still very acute, the threat is complex and the threat is more international than ever,” the Interpol chief told NBC News.

ISIS still fighting in Syria despite Trump's assurances© / Getty Images SDF Fighters Battle Last Pockets Of ISIL Resistance In Syria

Despite assurances from President Trump that ISIS territory will soon be "100 percent" captured, U.S.-backed forces continue to battle ISIS fighters in Syria. CBS News correspondent Charlie D'Agata reports on Monday ISIS fighters launched a fierce counterattack from the village of Baghuz Fawqani, seizing back territory from Kurdish-led forces.

D'Agata has seen the fighting from eastern Syria, even being forced to run from ISIS bombs just last week. He reports ground forces backed by U.S. and coalition airstrikes launched an offensive over the weekend to rid the last remnants of ISIS from the only foothold they have left.

Pentagon says ISIS likely to retake territory and claim 'victory' after US Syria withdrawal

Pentagon says ISIS likely to retake territory and claim 'victory' after US Syria withdrawal ISIS will claim victory over the US and is likely to regain territory as a result of President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from Syria, according to a new report released Monday by the Pentagon's Inspector General. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.

Syrian Democratic Force officials estimate between 500 and 600 militants remain. On Monday, the chief spokesman told CBS News there were far more civilians trapped inside that village than previously thought.

The situation is a far cry from the president's announcement in December that ISIS was already defeated, saying he planned to pull U.S. troops from Syria. Mr. Trump later told "Face the Nation" moderator Margaret Brennan the U.S. military could always come back if it was needed. But the president's decision to withdraw troops has prompted backlash from members of his own party and intelligence team.

SDF commander Adnan Afrin told CBS News he was worried about what would happen if U.S. forces leave, saying an underground network of fighters are already preparing to regroup.

On Monday, a UN report found the terror group remains a threat. In a statement, Under Secretary-General Vladimir Voronkov said despite a fall in "international attacks" in 2018, "this threat is increased by returning, relocating or released foreign terrorist fighters." Voronkov also said the central leadership of ISIS maintains an "intent to generate internationally-directed attacks."

CBS News' Pam Falk contributed to this report.

"Final battle" of ISIS is in its final days, U.S.-backed forces say.
Military officials say they severely underestimated the number of civilians inside that village when they launched the offensive to crush the last remnants of the so-called caliphate one week ago .Furat estimated to be around 1,500 people, more than twice that many have since flooded out this week, including many ISIS families. Hundreds of ISIS fighters reportedly surrendered this week, of the approximately 450 militants who were thought to be making a last stand.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!