World: 'At least 500 killed' in DR Congo attack - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

World'At least 500 killed' in DR Congo attack

14:26  12 march  2019
14:26  12 march  2019 Source:   bbc.com

Official: Taliban target army corps, killing 23 soldiers

Official: Taliban target army corps, killing 23 soldiers An Afghan official says Taliban fighters have attacked a corps of security forces in their camp in southern Helmand province, killing at least 23. Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor, said Saturday that 20 other forces were wounded in the attack that began Friday and continued into Saturday in Washer district.

At least 26 people were killed in an attack on civilians on motorbikes in October near Beni that was blamed on the group. A UN official said the attack represented a “serious escalation”. The UN peacekeeping mission in Congo has recorded 93 deaths of military, police and civilian personnel.

DR Congo 's army (in the picture) launched its latest offensive in January this year against the Allied Democratic Forces, an insurgency originally based in Uganda that has moved across the border into eastern DR Congo . (Reuters Archive). Suspected militiamen killed nine civilians in a fresh attack in

'At least 500 killed' in DR Congo attack© AFP A mass grave in the Bongende is thought to contain 100 bodies

A UN investigation says violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo last year may amount to crimes against humanity.

It says at least 500 people were killed, including families burnt alive in their homes and a two-year-old who was thrown into a septic tank.

Ethnic violence broke out when one community wanted to bury one of their traditional chiefs on another community's land.

The investigation adds that violence could flare up again at any time.

Investigators say the violence between 16 and 18 December was "planned and executed with the support of customary chiefs".

Attack on DR Congo Ebola centre leaves one dead

Attack on DR Congo Ebola centre leaves one dead Armed men attacked an Ebola treatment centre in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo again on Saturday, killing a policeman and wounding a health worker, the authorities said. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); The facility, located at Butembo in the troubled province of North Kivu, only reopened last Saturday after an attack by gunmen the previous Wednesday forced its closure.

Five Congolese soldiers also died and at least 40 other people were injured when the militants attacked a United Nations base in the North Kivu Hundreds of civilians were killed in the region in the years following the raid, and the United Nations has blamed the rebel group for much of the killing .

NAIROBI — At least 15 United Nations peacekeepers were killed and dozens wounded in eastern Congo in one of the deadliest attacks on the international Heavily armed rebel fighters attacked a forward operating base in a remote part of North Kivu province Thursday night, firing rocket-propelled

Members of the Batende community attacked Banunu villages "with extreme violence and speed, allowing little time to escape".

It adds that the provincial authorities in Yumbi, in Mai-Ndombe Province, in the west of the country, "appear to have failed in their responsibility to protect the population".

The casualty numbers are probably a lot higher than the 535 in the report.

In January the UN said they suspected at least 890 people had died.

'At least 500 killed' in DR Congo attack© BBC

They sent out an investigation team who only managed to reach three out of the four villages at the heart of the attack.

Bodies are also believed to have been thrown into the Congo River.

Voting in the 30 December presidential election was postponed until 31 March in Yumbi because of the violence. Opposition candidate Felix Tshisekedi has already been declared the winner.

Illinois State Police face 2nd suit over warehouse shooting.
A second lawsuit has been filed against the Illinois State Police for issuing a firearm license to the convicted felon who killed five people and wounded several police officers at a suburban Chicago warehouse last month. 

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!