World: Brazil begins saying goodbye to victims of mass shooting - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldBrazil begins saying goodbye to victims of mass shooting

18:25  14 march  2019
18:25  14 march  2019 Source:   msn.com

Teenager detained over Brazil school shooting

Teenager detained over Brazil school shooting Brazilian police on Tuesday arrested a teenager suspected of involvement in planning last week's high school shooting that left eight people dead and shocked a country long-used to deadly gun violence. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); The 17-year-old was initially detained on Friday, but later released after denying taking part in the attack near Sao Paulo by two ex-pupils, who committed suicide.

Orlando has begun saying goodbye to the 49 victims of the mass shooting at Pulse nightclub. One week after the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, Rev. Tom McCloskey of the First United Methodist Church in Orlando, started Sunday service with words of support for the LGBT community.

as a community continued to say goodbye to victims of last week's deadly shooting rampage. High School students begin arriving for their first day of school since the shooting on Wednesday, Feb. Petty was a victim of Wednesday's mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

SUZANO, Brazil — Classmates, friends and families of the victims of a mass shooting at a Brazil school began saying goodbye on Thursday, with thousands attending a wake in this devastated Sao Paulo suburb while authorities worked to understand what drove two former students to attack with a gun, crossbows and small axes.

Before 17-year-old Guilherme Taucci Monteiro and 25-year-old Henrique de Castro launched an assault on the K-12 public school Wednesday morning, police said they shot and killed a man who owned a used car dealership nearby.

Amy Schumer, Madonna, Chris Rock & More Stars Donate to Victims of New Zealand Mass Shooting

Amy Schumer, Madonna, Chris Rock & More Stars Donate to Victims of New Zealand Mass Shooting A score of celebrities are putting their money to good use.

Orlando starts saying goodbye to nightclub massacre victims . Orlando nightclub mass shooting victims . At least 49 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. A moment of silence will be held for victims of the shooting during the 49th minute of the Orlando City soccer

A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of firearms-related violence. The United States' Congressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition

What came next, partially caught on surveillance camera footage shot at the school's entrance and widely distributed in Brazil, was horrifying.

Upon entering, Monteiro is seen shooting several people in the head as they try to run away. Moments later, de Castro enters, first striking wounded people on the ground with a small axe and then swinging it wildly while scores of students run past him. De Castro then arms his bow and walks further into the school.

"I couldn't sleep. I have two children in school and they are about the age of the victims," said Wanda Augusta, a 46-year-old homemaker attending the wake.

In total, seven were killed at the school, including five students, a teacher and a school administrator. Nine others were wounded in the attack. Of those, seven were still hospitalized as of Thursday morning, three in intensive care, according to a statement from the health secretary.

Brazil school shooting 'was planned attack'

Brazil school shooting 'was planned attack' Investigators say the two former pupils may have plotted the attack for more than a year. Neighbours described Castro as a quiet young man whose family members kept themselves to themselves. © EPAMinutes before the attack, Monteiro posted photos of himself wearing a skull mask and holding a gun. Police also found a notebook in the car in which were drawings of weapons and slogans such as "Can't run".

A memorial to the victims of the mass shooting in Las Vegas. “I know that none of us here really planned on saying goodbye to Charlie so soon, but I’m glad we get to send him off in our way, not somebody else’s way,” said Steve Grammas, the president of the Las Vegas Police Protective

The full episode of the CBS Evening News from Copyright CBS Interactive, 2018. All rights reserved.

Brazil begins saying goodbye to victims of mass shooting© The Associated Press A relatives mourn Kaio Lucas da Costa Limeira, victim of the shooting at the Raul Brasil State School during a collective wake of the victims in Suzano, greater Sao Paulo area, Brazil, Thursday, March 14, 2019. The Sao Paulo suburb prepares to bury its dead and look for reasons why two masked former students armed with a hand gun, knives, axes and crossbows killed five teenagers and two adults at a school before killing themselves as police closed in. (AP Photo/Andre Penner) Thursday's large wake in a volleyball arena was for four of the students and the two school employees. Services for the other victims were held in other places.

"If only we could have identified the difficulties of these boys," said Rossieli Soares, the state education secretary, while attending Thursday's wake. "This is a problem in our society."

While Latin America's large nation has deep problems with violence — it's the annual world leader in homicides — school shooting like those in the U.S. are rare. Wednesday's attack reminded many Brazilians of an attack in 2011, when a gunman roamed the halls of a Rio de Janeiro school and killed 12 students.

Seven dead in Brazil floods

Seven dead in Brazil floods Floods caused by torrential rains in and around Brazil's financial hub Sao Paulo killed seven people overnight, firefighters said Monday. "We regret the unfortunate deaths of seven people," the fire service said on Twitter, adding that four others were injured. Four of the dead and two of the injured were members of the same family, whose house collapsed in Riberao Pires on the outskirts of Brazil's largest city, located in the southeast of the country. Three others drowned, two of them on a Sao Paulo boulevard and the other in Sao Bernardo do Campo, not far from the huge city, officials said.

Relatives and friends of those killed in nation’s deadliest mass shooting mourn as FBI investigates the motives and movements of gunman Omar Mateen.

The funeral for state Sen. Clementa Pinckney, the pastor of Emanuel AME Church, begins Friday morning. He and eight others were killed in last week's mass shooting at the historic Hundreds of people gathered Thursday to say goodbye to victims Ethel Lance and Sharonda Coleman-Singleton.

Joao Camilo Pires de Campos, the state's public security secretary, summed up what was on the minds of many Brazilians.

"The big question is: What was the motivation of these former students?" he told reporters on Wednesday.

Monteiro's mother, Tatiana Taucci, offered a possible partial answer, telling Band News while hiding her face from the camera that her son had been bullied at the school.

"Bullying, they call it. ... He stopped going to school ... because of this," she said.

She said she was surprised by his involvement and found out about the attack from the television like everyone else.

Minutes before the attack, Monteiro posted 26 photos on his Facebook page, included several with a gun and one that showed him giving the middle finger as he looked into the camera.

In some of the photos, he wore a black scarf with a white imprint of a skull and cross bones. No text accompanied the posts.

By Wednesday afternoon, Facebook had taken down Monteiro's page.

During the attack, Monteiro opened fire with a .38 caliber handgun and de Castro used a crossbow, de Campos said. He said forensics would determine how each of the victims died.

Rainstorms kill at least 12 in greater Sao Paulo area

Rainstorms kill at least 12 in greater Sao Paulo area Brazilian officials say heavy rains have deluged the country's biggest city, causing flooding and other damage that resulted in the deaths of at least 12 people.

She was determined to say goodbye to her husband and children. She thought about her passionate feelings toward controlling gun access and eliminating 7, 2018, for the victims of a mass shooting in Downtown Cincinnati. Omar Santa Perez killed three people and died when police shot him inside

Angel Colon was exchanging goodbye hugs with friends when the shooting began , and like much of the panicked crowd he ran for the door. Matt Mitchell at a memorial outside the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in memory of the victims of the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.CreditSam Hodgson

The attackers were also carrying Molotov cocktails, knives and small axes, authorities said.

"In 34 years as a policeman, it's the first time I see someone use a crossbow like that," police Col. Marcelo Salles said. "It is horrendous."

The assailants were trying to force their way inside a room at the back of the school where many students were hiding when police arrived. Instead of facing officers, Monteiro shot de Castro in the head and then shot himself, authorities said.

President Jair Bolsonaro ran on a platform that included promises to crack down on criminals, in part by expanding public access to guns. Soon after his Jan. 1 inauguration, Bolsonaro issued a decree making it easier to buy a gun.

"A monstrosity and cowardice without equal," Bolsonaro wrote in a tweet expressing his sympathies for the families of the victims of Wednesday's attacks.

Sen. Major Olimpio, a member of Bolsonaro's party and a proponent of loosening gun legislation, renewed that stance hours after Wednesday's rampage.

"We can't let those who take advantage of this tragedy speak about how disarmament is the solution," he tweeted, adding: "Weak and shameful 'disarmament farce,' which gave guns to criminals and prevented self-defense."

___

Associated Press writer Mauricio Savarese reported this story in Suzano and AP writer Peter Prengaman reported from Rio de Janeiro.

'I came today to say goodbye': Families of FIU bridge collapse victims observe anniversary.
MIAMI - It's been a year since Orlando Duran stood at the corner of Southwest Eighth Street and 109th Avenue. His 18-year-old daughter, Alexa, was trapped under 950 tons of concrete following the collapse of a pedestrian bridge, which had stretched above idle traffic before crashing down at 1:47 p.m. on March 15, 2018. Five others died in the chain reaction of structural failure that would come to spawn at least 18 lawsuits from victims' families and others against 25 defendants involved in the bridge project. "The last time I was here, my daughter's car was being pulled out. It's a hurt that is indescribable. I can't forget it." Orlando Duran said.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 15
This is interesting!