World: Australian media challenge 'unprecedented' contempt charges over Pell reporting - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldAustralian media challenge 'unprecedented' contempt charges over Pell reporting

08:45  15 april  2019
08:45  15 april  2019 Source:   msn.com

Police won't charge Australian teen or senator over egg spat

Police won't charge Australian teen or senator over egg spat Police say they will not charge an Australian teenager or a senator for a spat in which the boy cracked an egg on the politician's head and the man retaliated.Victoria state police said in a statement Tuesday that after reviewing footage and interviewing both participants, they had issued an official caution only to 17-year-old Will Connolly. They said they concluded Sen. Fraser Anning had acted in self-defense when he twice struck the teen afterward. Connolly gained fame as "Egg Boy" for egging Anning in Melbourne last month, after the senator controversially blamed the Christchurch mosque massacre on Muslim immigration.

But media still face charges for sub judice contempt . There are 16 individuals and organizations charged with "scandalizing the court" through The other charges are common law contempt offenses with no prescribed maximum penalty. Pell was sentenced on March 13 to six years in prison.

Some overseas-based media outlets and websites also reported the verdicts, although the sparsity The same 34 were also charged with breaching the suppression order and sub judice contempt Those charges were dropped in February, so the suppression order was lifted. But media still face

Australian media challenge 'unprecedented' contempt charges over Pell reporting© Con CHRONIS Twenty-three journalists and 13 media companies face fines and prison terms for allegedly breaching a gag order not to report on last year's trial of Cardinal George Pell (C) for child sex abuse

The lawyer defending Australia's biggest news organisations against contempt charges for their reporting of Cardinal George Pell's sex crimes conviction denounced on Monday what he called an unprecedented attack on press freedom in the country.

Twenty-three journalists and 13 media companies face fines and prison terms for allegedly breaching a gag order not to report on last year's trial of Pell for child sex abuse.

Minneapolis officer who killed unarmed Australian woman feared ambush, lawyer says

Minneapolis officer who killed unarmed Australian woman feared ambush, lawyer says Minneapolis officer who killed unarmed Australian woman feared ambush, lawyer says

But media still face charges for sub judice contempt . There are 16 individuals and organizations charged with "scandalizing the court" through The other charges are common law contempt offenses with no prescribed maximum penalty. Pell was sentenced on March 13 to six years in prison.

No Australian media named Pell or the charges at the time, though some overseas media did. Those who published online do not have offices or staff in Australia and were not charged for ignoring the suppression order, but have lobbied against it. "Gag orders are futile in a case of global interest in the

Pell, 77, the most senior Catholic cleric convicted of sex crimes, was found guilty in December of abusing two choirboys and is serving a six-year prison term. He has appealed the conviction.

The court had banned all reporting of the case pending a second trial scheduled for this month, but the gag order was lifted in March when that trial was cancelled.

Some foreign media, including The New York Times and the Washington Post, reported Pell's conviction in December, while local media ran cryptic articles complaining that they were being prevented from reporting a story of major public interest.

The Australian media and reporters were accused of abetting contempt of court by the foreign press and of "scandalising the court" by breaching the suppression order, despite none of them reporting on the charges involved or mentioning Pell by name.

House chairman threatens to find Justice official in contempt of Congress

House chairman threatens to find Justice official in contempt of Congress House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said his committee will consider a Department of Justice official to be in contempt if he does not comply with a subpoena to testify. Cummings, in a letter sent to Attorney General William Barr on Wednesday, wrote that Barr appears "to be instructing" John Gore, a principal deputy assistant attorney general, "to defy a duly authorized congressional subpoena" requesting his testimony. "The Committee expects Mr. Gore to testify in accordance with the Committee's lawful subpoena and the Committee's rules," the letter reads. "If Mr.

Some overseas-based media outlets and websites also reported the verdicts, although the sparsity The same 34 were also charged with breaching the suppression order and sub judice contempt Those charges were dropped in February, so the suppression order was lifted. But media still face

Some overseas-based media outlets and websites also reported the verdicts, although the sparsity The same 34 were also charged with breaching the suppression order and sub judice contempt Those charges were dropped in February, so the suppression order was lifted. But media still face

If convicted, journalists face prison terms of up to five years and the news organisations fines of up to AU$500,000 (US$ 360,000).

Matthew Collins, representing the accused media at the first hearing on the matter on Monday, said such wide-ranging contempt charges had "no precedent" in Australian legal history.

"There are simply no cases of which we are aware in Australia where media organisations, editors or journalists have been charged, much less found guilty, of contempt in circumstances such as these," he was quoted by local media as telling the court in Melbourne.

Collins added that a guilty verdict on any of the charges would have a "chilling effect" on open justice in Australia.

He added that the contempt allegations lacked specific examples of how any of the accused news companies or journalists actually breached the gag order when they never mentioned Pell or the crimes for which he was convicted.

The accused include Australia's two biggest newspaper companies, Rupert Murdoch's Nationwide News and the former Fairfax group now owned by broadcaster Nine, as well as leading newspaper editors and reporters.

Judge John Dixon agreed that prosecutors had not provided sufficient detail of the charges against each news organisation and journalist, asking "does this involve one trial or 36 trials, or something in between?".

He ordered prosecutors to provide detailed statements of claim to the accused and set a new hearing for June 26.

Ex-Trump official defies subpoena, Dems weigh contempt vote.
The chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee says the White House is now in "open defiance" of his panel.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!