•   
  •   
  •   

WorldCongo Ebola deaths likely to exceed 1,000 on Friday, WHO says

22:55  03 may  2019
22:55  03 may  2019 Source:   cnn.com

Els receives special U.S. Open invite; 9,000-plus vie for Pebble Beach berth

Els receives special U.S. Open invite; 9,000-plus vie for Pebble Beach berth For the second straight year, Ernie Els will receive a special exemption into the U.S. Open, while 9,000-plus golfers will enter qualifying for Pebble Beach.

Congo Ebola deaths likely to exceed 1,000 on Friday, WHO says© Al-hadji Kudra Maliro/AP Doctors and health workers march in the Eastern Congo town of Butembo on Wednesday April 24, 2019, after attackers last week shot and killed an epidemiologist from Cameroon who was working for the World Health Organization. Doctors at the epicenter of Congo's Ebola's crisis are threatening to go on strike indefinitely if health workers are attacked again. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)

As of Wednesday, 1,510 cases of Ebola have been reported in North Kivu and Ituri provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the country's Ministry of Health reported Thursday.

The tragic milestone of 1,000 Ebola deaths during this outbreak was probably exceeded Thursday, with reports filed Friday, said Dr. Michael Ryan, an executive director at the World Health Organization.

'Military action is possible' in Venezuela, says Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

'Military action is possible' in Venezuela, says Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Pompeo's remarks appeared to mark an escalation of the Trump administration's rhetoric on Venezuela. Pompeo and other officials, including President Donald Trump, have said that "all options are on the table" but focused mostly on economic sanctions and other diplomatic tools. "We are trying to do everything we can to avoid violence," Pompeo told FOX. "… We’d prefer a peaceful transition of government there where Maduro leaves and a new election is held.

On average, Ebola -- which causes fever, severe headache and in some cases hemorrhaging -- kills about half of those infected. However, more than 400 patients have been treated and discharged from Ebola treatment centers during the outbreak, which began in August.

With violent attacks on communities and medical centers, a "considerable" rise in Ebola cases has occurred over the past week in Congo, WHO reported.

"Since January, we've experienced 119 separate attacks, 42 of which have been directly on health facilities, with 85 health personnel either injured or killed in those settings," Ryan said. "We are anticipating a scenario of continued intense transmission."

The outbreak is the second-deadliest and second-largest in history, topped only by one in West Africa in 2014, when the disease killed more than 11,000 people, according to WHO.

Rory McIlroy still in Wells Fargo Championship mix despite disastrous Friday finish

Rory McIlroy still in Wells Fargo Championship mix despite disastrous Friday finish Rory McIlroy will be attempting to make a weekend charge, rather than fend them off, after a Friday stumble in Charlotte.

Insecurity is an impediment to response

WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Regional Director for Africa Dr. Matshidiso Moeti visited North Kivu and Ituri this week and "found the situation on the ground to be worse than it has been previously," said Ryan, who recalled the "sad and tragic death" of a colleague.

"Insecurity has become a major impediment to ensuring that we can access, engage with and serve the communities we wish to serve in Ebola control," he said.

US Ambassador Mike Hammer, who has traveled to Ebola hot spots over the past couple of months, told CNN that "there are over 100 armed groups" operating in the conflict zone of eastern Congo, which encompasses the outbreak-affected region, and that one group, known as the Alliance Defense Force, has become "increasingly associated with ISIS."

Long-term conflict has smoldered in the northeastern region of the country for decades, with armed groups causing intermittent violence, according to WHO. The UN public health agency estimates that more than a million refugees and internally displaced people are traveling through and out of North Kivu and Ituri provinces, and this movement is a potential risk factor for the spread of Ebola. Ryan says some of the groups may be political, others criminal and some a mix of both.

Israel-Gaza Barrage Leads to Targeted Killings as Deaths Mount

Israel-Gaza Barrage Leads to Targeted Killings as Deaths Mount Israel and Gaza-based militants are digging in for extended fighting after a barrage of hundreds of rockets and airstrikes stretched through a second day, threatening to undo months of Egyptian-brokered efforts to reach a long-term truce. Israel resumed its assassination of wanted men in the Palestinian enclave Sunday, after a years-long lull. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the army to continue its “massive attacks” in Gaza and bolster forces near the coastal strip. Two brigades were sent toward the border and another was ordered to prepare to join them.

Hammer said conflict "has complicated the efforts on the ground, including not making it possible" for the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to deploy personnel to the epicenter. Last fall, the US State Department "determined that it was too dangerous to deploy our [CDC] health responders" to hot spot areas, he said. "Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but that decision has proven correct."

Congo Ebola deaths likely to exceed 1,000 on Friday, WHO says© JOHN WESSELS/AFP/AFP/Getty Images TOPSHOT - Health workers are seen inside the 'red zone' of an Ebola treatment centre, which was attacked in the early hours of the morning on March 9, 2019 in Butembo. - Armed men on March 9 attacked an Ebola treatment centre in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, killing a policeman and wounding a health worker, the authorities said. Suspected Mai-Mai rebels have attacked the Butembo ETC twice in the last two weeks. (Photo by JOHN WESSELS / AFP) (Photo credit should read JOHN WESSELS/AFP/Getty Images)

However, CDC personnel are working in safer areas of Congo, including both Kinshasa and Goma, and some team members "occasionally" make brief strategic visits to the epicenter to aid the response, he said. He emphasized the fact that the government, working with the international community and the CDC, "has succeeded so far in containing the outbreak to one specific region."

The Prodigy Lead Singer Keith Flint Consumed Drugs and Alcohol Before His Death, Coroner Says

The Prodigy Lead Singer Keith Flint Consumed Drugs and Alcohol Before His Death, Coroner Says The Prodigy lead singer Keith Flint had cocaine, alcohol and codeine in his system at the time of his death on March 4, an inquest heard on Wednesday. Flint, 49, had been found hanging in his Essex, England, farmhouse by a friend. However the coroner's office said that there was insufficient evidence to rule his death as a suicide, the Guardian reported. "We will never quite know what was going on in his mind on that date," senior coroner for Essex, Caroline Beasley-Murray, said in conclusion. Police found there were no suspicious circumstances and there was no third party involvement at Flint's home, she confirmed. "I've considered suicide.

Last year's Ebola outbreak in western Congo "was successfully defeated within a matter of months, quelled by primary responders from the Ministry of Health" aided by the international community, Hammer emphasized. That response was successful in part because "it was in a secure area, an area not affected by conflict."

Hammer, who has been working with his counterparts and others in the region to ensure cooperation, monitoring and surveillance at the borders, said the newly elected president, Felix Tshisekedi, "is looking to continue to partner with the international community and the US to hopefully eradicate the outbreak."

In April, Tshisekedi traveled to the epicenter as well as to Washington, where he met with US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield and senior State Department officials, among others. "It's quite clear it's a top priority for him," Hammer said.

More money needed

Ryan also commended Tshisekedi for establishing a "multisectoral committee" -- one that joins Congo's Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of the Interior and other government groups with the Ministry of Health -- to work on ending the outbreak.

Yet problems are rife and include financial difficulties. WHO has a funding gap for its own work of $54 million, Ryan said. "That's despite having spent over $35 million of our contingency fund since the beginning of the year," he said.

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show likely leaving network TV

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show likely leaving network TV A Victoria's Secret exec says the famed fashion show is not the "right fit" for network TV.

The response is costly, involving tracking over 12,000 contacts per day and vaccinating over 1,000 people per day, some at WHO's new pop-up vaccination centers.

Despite money troubles and insecurity, WHO decided last month that the Ebola outbreak does not constitute a public health emergency of international concern, which is defined as "an extraordinary event" that constitutes a "public health risk to other States through the international spread of disease" and "to potentially require a coordinated international response." Critics believe that a declaration of emergency would have replenished funds and brought relief to first responders.

WHO is also exploring the possibility of using fractional doses of an existing Merck vaccine to extend the supply and introduction of a new experimental vaccine from Johnson & Johnson, Ryan said.

"We currently have enough vaccine supplies for our current strategy," Ryan said. The justification for fractional doses and bringing in a second vaccine is to devise an improved tactical approach.

"We would not plan to use that second vaccine in the epicenter," he said. The population might be better shielded if WHO uses the Merck vaccine for contacts of those who are sick with Ebola and then using the J&J vaccine beyond this ring of contacts in the "village next door that doesn't have disease yet."

The Merck vaccine has been one of the "saviors" in this response, Ryan said. "Every time we fall behind in the process of vaccination, the outbreak intensifies."

Read More

George Conway calls Trump a 'malignant narcissist' and says he committed 'the ultimate high crime'.
George Conway calls Trump a 'malignant narcissist' and says he committed 'the ultimate high crime'

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!