World: For the Dominican Republic, six U.S. tourist deaths, the shooting of David Ortiz and a new image problem - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldFor the Dominican Republic, six U.S. tourist deaths, the shooting of David Ortiz and a new image problem

05:45  12 june  2019
05:45  12 june  2019 Source:   washingtonpost.com

Pedro Martinez breaks down in tears while talking about David Ortiz shooting

Pedro Martinez breaks down in tears while talking about David Ortiz shooting Pedro Martinez broke down in tears Monday night while talking about the shooting of his friend and former Boston Red Sox teammate, David Ortiz. "I don't have enough words to describe who David is, what David means to baseball," Martinez said on air. "But I'm so disappointed to know that someone like David, who saved so many lives, can have someone after his life. And I'm sorry. I'm sorry. But it hurts me. It hurts me." Ortiz, 43, was shot in the back at close range while he was at a bar in his native Dominican Republic on Sunday night.

Here are are three things you need to know if you're traveling to a country with a travel advisory. USA TODAY.

David Ortiz ' s father Leo confirmed his son' s injury in the shooting to ESPN. Felix Duran Mejía, the spokesman of the National Police of the Dominican Republic , confirmed the incident to CNN On Tuesday, the U . S . State Department confirmed the three Americans tourists ’ deaths to PEOPLE and

For the Dominican Republic, six U.S. tourist deaths, the shooting of David Ortiz and a new image problem© Erika Santelices/AFP/Getty Images Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic is a popular destination for U.S. tourists. Dominican and U.S. uthorities are investigating a rash of deaths among American visitors. SAN PEDRO DE MACORIS, Dominican Republic —The grounds and orchid-filled interior of the Grand Bahia Principe Resort appear half-empty. Dozens of unoccupied tables surround the buffet restaurant; vacant chairs lie scattered near the serpentine pool. The hotel boasts more than 400 rooms. But on Tuesday, only a smattering of about 30 people relaxed — or tried to — on the private beach.

Two of the six American tourists who have died mysteriously on this Caribbean island in the past year died at the Grand Bahia Principe — a fact that has not gone unnoticed among prospective customers since the news broke last week. Yet that didn’t deter some offseason guests — especially those who had paid in advance.

Report: Second suspect arrested in David Ortiz shooting, motive still unclear

Report: Second suspect arrested in David Ortiz shooting, motive still unclear Report: Second suspect arrested in David Ortiz shooting, motive still unclear

David Ortiz was not planning on going out Sunday night in the Dominican Republic . But a call from a friend, Jhoel López, a local television host, persuaded Ortiz to change his mind. Soon after Ortiz ’ s arrival at a regular hangout, the Dial Bar & Lounge, in the eastern part of Santo Domingo

David Ortiz during last year' s All-Star game. Getty Images . Topline: Amid a spate of high-profile violence in the The Dominican native underwent surgery and is recovering in stable condition Investigations into the deaths are ongoing: According to the Washington Post, U . S . investigators are

“We were about to cancel our trip,” said Noemy Morales, a 67-year-old retiree from Texas who booked her trip months before the deaths became news. She came to celebrate her 50th anniversary with her husband, joined by her sister and a friend.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

“But we wouldn’t be refunded, so I insisted we come,” she continued. “Our relatives back home told us to be careful, and that they would pray for us. As if they felt bad for us!”

Morales’s concerns underscored a painful plight for the Dominican Republic. This country of azure waters and white sand beaches, which attracts more American visitors than France, is suddenly facing a potentially devastating image problem.

2nd arrest made in shooting of David Ortiz

2nd arrest made in shooting of David Ortiz A second person has been arrested in the investigation into the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz, according to ABC News. The person is not suspected to be the person who shot Ortiz, and police are searching for a third person, ABC reported. Ortiz was shot Sunday in the Dominican Republic and is now recovering from exploratory surgery in Boston, where he was flown Monday night. Another suspect connected to the shooting faces multiple charges in the Dominican Republic, including attempted homicide. Eddy Feliz Garcia, 25, is accused of being the driver of the motorcycle on which the shooter arrived.

Dominican Republic deaths : Mystery deepens after new autopsy results. Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day were celebrating their engagement before they both died in their room at the Bahia Principe La Romana. Nearly seven million tourists visit the Dominican Republic and most are from the U . S .

David Ortiz , best known for playing with the Boston Red Sox, has been shot Ortiz has been working as an MLB studio analyst for Fox Sports, working alongside Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Burkhardt and On Tuesday, the U . S . State Department confirmed the three Americans tourists ’ deaths to PEOPLE and

“Unfortunately, the unrelated incidents coincided in timing,” said André Van Der Horst, tourism adviser to the Dominican Republic government.

“With social media today, we are exposed and require an immediate response to the current public relations dynamic, a new reality worldwide,” he said. “We are not used to this type of viral communicational outburst and are working with crisis management specialists to establish reaction protocols.”

Since a newly engaged Maryland couple was found dead here on May 30, the country and its tourism industry have weathered an Internet storm.

An autopsy found that Nathaniel Edward Holmes, 63, of Temple Hills and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, of Upper Marlboro, died after their lungs filled with fluid, leading to respiratory failure, according to the national police.

Four similar deaths have been reported at nearby hotels, and a growing number of claims have surfaced from people who say they were taken suddenly ill here. One website that collects food poisoning complaints from around the world — iwaspoisoned.com — now has dozens of posts by people claiming nausea and vomiting after stays at hotels here.

Man wanted in shooting of David ‘Big Papi’ Ortiz also sought for PA shooting: report

Man wanted in shooting of David ‘Big Papi’ Ortiz also sought for PA shooting: report A man linked to the shooting of Boston Red Sox star David “Big Papi” Ortiz is also a suspect in a Pennsylvania shooting, according to a report. Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, aka “the Surgeon,” was identified Wednesday as one of the seven people responsible for the bungled hit on the future hall of famer in the Dominican Republic Sunday. Clase, 31, of Reading, Pa, is still being sought. NBC 10 reported that Clase was charged with conspiracy to commit homicide for a shooting in Reading in April 2018. His victim was shot in the lower back but survived.

The death occurred about a month before three American tourists were found dead at adjacent beach resorts in the tropical Caribbean island. As investigators from the U . S . probe the fatalities, Dominican officials have insisted that the island is safe, noting that millions of Americans visit its beaches each

Dominican Republic deaths : Mystery deepens after new autopsy results. News of this latest death in the Dominican Republic came just after former Red Sox star David Ortiz was The country' s attorney general told local media after the shooting of Ortiz that the Dominican Republic is "secure

Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, of Allentown, Pa., was celebrating her 10th wedding anniversary when she died May 25, within 24 hours of arriving at her hotel room. An autopsy report showed pulmonary and cardiac problems.

The Fox News Channel, quoting a relative, reported that a California man, Robert Bell Wallace, died in April after becoming ill at a Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana. The State Department confirmed the death of a U.S. citizen in April but did not identify the person.

The State Department did confirm the identities of David Harrison and Yvette Monique Sport, U.S. citizens who died on the island last year.

Adding to the spate of bad press: Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz was shot in the back late Sunday in an ambush at an outdoor restaurant and bar in Santo Domingo, the capital. The former big league slugger, a Dominican native, was flown to Boston for further treatment and was in stable condition. Local police say they have arrested one of two alleged attackers.

Local authorities say the tourists died of natural causes, and there is no proof of a trend. The State Department has not issued a travel warning, and U.S. authorities have not asserted any connection between the deaths or foul play. At the request of local investigators, the FBI is aiding with toxicology reports. Results could take up to 30 days.

Doctors upgrade David Ortiz's condition to 'good' after shooting

Doctors upgrade David Ortiz's condition to 'good' after shooting David Ortiz's condition has been upgraded to ‘good’ by his doctors, his wife Tiffany said in a statement as he recovers in a Massachusetts hospital.

Another American tourist died while vacationing in the Dominican Republic — bringing the recent spate of mysterious deaths to six and prompting an investigation by the FBI, according to a new report. Video captures David Ortiz shooting in Dominican Republic bar.

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz and wounded in his native Dominican Republic while at a club Sunday night, authorities said. Ortiz and TV presenter Jhoel Lopez were both wounded at the Dial nightclub in Santo Domingo. One person has been arrested in connection with the shooting .

Roughly 2.7 million Americans visit the Dominican Republic annually, accounting for 47 percent of all tourists. Overall, tourism directly and indirectly accounts for nearly 22 percent of the island’s economy. U.S. media outlets, including Time magazine and the New York Post, have asked whether tourists should cancel their trips. Hundreds have questioned the island’s safety on social media.

“Coincidental I think not,” one Twitter user wrote. “The Dominican Republic is going to be a no for me.”

In San Pedro de Macoris, home to many hotel employees, residents expressed anger that bad press in the United States could hurt the economy.

Elias Cadete, a 67-year-old taxi driver, blamed “people in countries that are interested in robbing us of our tourists.”

“It’s worrying because tourism is the spinal cord of our economy,” he said. “If tourism falls, my country falls.”

At this resort where the Maryland couple died, junior suites were being offered on hotels.com Tuesday for $157, according to the website.

Hotel managers declined to comment. June is traditionally one of the slowest months on this tropical island. But hotel officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity acknowledged the property was receiving “more cancellations than usual.”

Paola Rainieri, president of the Dominican National Association of Hotels and Tourism, which represents more than 80 percent of the country’s hotels, said she expects a drop in visitors this month. She fretted about “irrational and unfair conclusions about isolated incidents.”

“We are immensely worried because all the speculation affects the image of the island and the minds of those who visit us,” Rainieri said. “They may cancel their trips despite a lack of evidence.”

On Monday afternoon, the government launched the campaign “#BeFairWithDR” on social media.

“To judge an entire country for isolated events is unfair,” government spokesman Roberto Rodriguez Marchena said in a statement.

A Belgian couple lying on the beach at the Grand Bahia Principe on Tuesday said they were mostly ignoring U.S. media reports.

“Americans don’t have a great reputation traveling. They are quite delicate,” said 56-year-old Rudy Hugherbart. “The Dominican Republic is a beautiful place and we love it.”

[email protected]

Anthony Faiola in Miami contributed to this report.


Dominican AG: Ortiz shooting result of mistaken identity.
The Dominican Republic's lead prosecutor says former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was not the target of a shooting in a nightclub in his hometown on June 9. Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez says the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was seated with the ex-baseball star on the night of the June 9 shooting at a bar in Santo Domingo. Rodríguez says the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico's Gulf Cartel, who remains on the run. He did not immediately describe a motive. Ortiz remains hospitalized from the gunshot wound to his back.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 14
This is interesting!