World: New Zealand massacre suspect set to enter pleas, face new terrorism charge - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldNew Zealand massacre suspect set to enter pleas, face new terrorism charge

07:50  13 june  2019
07:50  13 june  2019 Source:   reuters.com

Murder Suspect On The Loose After Accidental Release From Broward Jail

Murder Suspect On The Loose After Accidental Release From Broward Jail The Broward Sheriff's Office needs help locating a murder suspect who was released from jail when he should not have been. Eric Vail, 28, was being held at the county jail on a second-degree murder charge but on Thursday, the jail was told that that charge against Vail was dismissed and he was released. The Sheriff’s Office, which denies it did anything wrong, is now trying to get him back in custody. “On Thursday, the Broward Sheriff’s Office received unequivocal direction from the State Attorney’s Office that the second degree murder charge on Eric Vail had been dismissed.

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand — The man accused of carrying out the twin massacres at New Zealand mosques in March will become the first suspect charged under the country’s anti- terrorist laws passed after the 9/11 attacks. The decision will be closely watched around the world as a test of

The new charge is in addition to 51 counts of murder that Brenton H. Tarrant faces for the March 15 massacre at two mosques in Christchurch, New A makeshift memorial to victims of the shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand , in front of the Linwood Mosque in March.CreditCreditAdam Dean for The

New Zealand massacre suspect set to enter pleas, face new terrorism charge© MARTY MELVILLE/AFP/Getty Images People pay their respects at a memorial site at the Botanical garden in Christchurch on March 18, 2019, three days after a shooting incident at two mosques in the city that claimed the lives of 50 Muslim worshippers. - New Zealand will tighten gun laws in the wake of its worst modern-day massacre, the government said on March 18, as it emerged that the white supremacist accused of carrying out the killings at two mosques will represent himself in court. (Photo by Marty MELVILLE / AFP) (Photo credit should read MARTY MELVILLE/AFP/Getty Images) WELLINGTON (Reuters) - Suspected white supremacist Brenton Tarrant is expected to enter pleas, and will face a new terrorism charge, when he appears in court on Friday over the mass shooting at two mosques in Christchurch.

Man Arrested While Trying To Buy Explosives To Attack Times Square, Police Sources Say

Man Arrested While Trying To Buy Explosives To Attack Times Square, Police Sources Say Police sources tell CBS2 that the suspect was taken into custody by the Joint Terrorism Task Force, which includes both the NYPD and FBI. Sources say the man expressed an interest in buying explosives that he was allegedly planning to use in New York; specifically in the Times Square area. Police then set up an undercover sting operation to catch the suspect when he went to purchase the weapons. Authorities have not released the suspect’s name, but he is scheduled to appear in federal court at some point on Friday in Brooklyn.

The suspected Christchurch mosque attacker will face 50 charges of murder and 39 of attempted Officials initially filed one representative murder charge against 28-year-old Australian Brenton He’ll hear the new charges at a short hearing on Friday, but won’t be required to enter a plea , according

Australian Brenton Tarrant appeared in a New Zealand court on Friday where the suspected white Tarrant, who was charged with one murder a day after the shooting attack, was also charged with High Court Judge Cameron Mander said whether Tarrant would be required to enter a plea at his

In an attack on March 15 that was broadcast live on Facebook, a lone gunman armed with semi-automatic weapons targeted Muslims attending Friday prayers in Christchurch, killing 51 worshippers and wounding dozens of people.

Tarrant already faces 50 counts of murder for the attack and when he appears in the Christchurch High Court on Friday will be charged under a terrorist act, the first time such a charge has been brought in New Zealand.

The police announced its plans to bring on terrorism charges and an additional murder charge last month.

A minute issued to the media by Christchurch High Court Judge Cameron Mander last week said Tarrant is expected to enter a plea to the charges.

Suspect shot by police after attempted robbery at Subway shop

Suspect shot by police after attempted robbery at Subway shop A man held a restaurant employee at gunpoint before aiming his gun at a San Antonio police officer, prompting the officer to fire at him, police said. 

Tarrant has been moved to New Zealand 's only maximum security prison in Auckland and will appear at the Christchurch High Court through a video Tarrant, 28, was charged with one murder the day after the attack and remanded without a plea . Police said they would bring 49 more murder charges

New Zealand police say man who died backed mosque killings. New Zealand lawmakers pass He is due to appear via video link during a brief hearing on Friday, and won't be required to enter a plea . Hodge said New Zealand and Australia were trying to preserve the ancient common-law approach to

Tarrant was not required to submit a plea in his last court appearance on April 5, as Judge Mander ordered he undergo mental assessment first to determine whether he was fit to stand trial.

The court has also lifted an order that required Tarrant's face to be suppressed, which forced media to only publish pixilated images that obscured his face.

"The Crown has advised there is no longer a need for the images of the defendant’s face to be suppressed and the order now lapses," the judge said in the minute released last week.

Tarrant, who is an Australian national, was remanded in custody after the shooting and moved to New Zealand's only maximum-security prison in Auckland. He would appear at the Christchurch High Court through a video link.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern labeled New Zealand's worst peace time mass shooting an act of terrorism and quickly introduced tough new firearm laws which banned semi-automatic weapons.

Muslims worldwide have praised New Zealand's response to the massacre, with many singling out Ardern's gesture of wearing a head scarf to meet victims' families and urging the country to unite with the call: "We are one".

But others have criticized New Zealand for failing to record hate crimes and ignoring threats from white supremacist groups. A Royal Commission is looking into whether the shooting could have been prevented.

(Reporting by Praveen Menon; editing by Michael Perry)

New Zealand man jailed for sharing mosque shooting video.
A Christchurch businessman who shared a video of worshippers being slaughtered at a New Zealand mosque was sentenced on Tuesday to 21 months in prison. Philip Arps had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the video, which was livestreamed on Facebook by a gunman on March 15 as he began killing 51 people at two mosques. Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O'Driscoll said that when questioned about the video, Arps had described it as "awesome" and had shown no empathy toward the victims.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!