World: President's Trump national security team expected to discuss sending more US military force to Middle East in wake of tanker attacks - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldPresident's Trump national security team expected to discuss sending more US military force to Middle East in wake of tanker attacks

05:15  17 june  2019
05:15  17 june  2019 Source:   cnn.com

U.S. has 'no interest' in new conflict in Middle East -U.S. military

U.S. has 'no interest' in new conflict in Middle East -U.S. military The United States has no interest in engaging in a new conflict in the Middle East but will defend American interests including freedom of navigation, the U.S. military said on Thursday as it directed a destroyer to the scene of an attack in the Gulf of Oman. U.S. Central Command said in a statement the destroyer USS Mason was en route to the scene of the attacks that damaged two tankers in the Gulf of Oman earlier in the day. The destroyer USS Bainbridge remains in close contact with the damaged tanker M/V Kokuka Courageous and will tolerate no interference, the statement said.

WASHINGTON — At a meeting of President Trump ’ s top national security aides last Thursday, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate

The US is to send 1,500 troops to the Middle East to counter the "ongoing threat posed by Iranian forces " President Donald Trump announced the move earlier on Friday. He said the deployment was The IRGC is the most elite military unit in Iran. Last month, the US designated it as a foreign

President's Trump national security team expected to discuss sending more US military force to Middle East in wake of tanker attacks© Tasnim News Agency/AP An Iranian navy boat sprays water to extinguish a fire on an oil tanker in the sea of Oman, Thursday, June 13, 2019. Two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz came under a suspected attack Thursday, setting one of them ablaze in the latest mysterious assault targeting vessels in a region crucial to global energy supplies amid heightened tension between Iran and the U.S. (AP Photo/Tasnim News Agency)

President Donald Trump's national security team is expected to discuss in detail this week whether to send additional US military force to the Middle East in the wake of last week's attack on two oil tankers, according to two US officials with direct knowledge of the discussions.

Trump warns Iran over tanker attack: ‘We don’t take it lightly’

Trump warns Iran over tanker attack: ‘We don’t take it lightly’ President Trump on Friday warned Iran over this week's attacks on tankers in the Gulf of Oman that the U.S. blames directly on Tehran, saying in an interview with “Fox & Friends” that, “We don’t take it lightly.”

A stand-off between the United States and Iran is threatening to boil over after an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, triggering a surge in the price of oil. US President Donald Trump , speaking on US television, pinned Thursday' s attacks on Iran

President Trump offered no details and suggested that he was ready to engage with the Iranians Officials at the Pentagon weighed tactical responses to the attacks , like beefing up the security The Navy dispatched a bomb squad team to investigate. The other tanker , the Norwegian-owned Front

It is not yet clear how soon Trump will be briefed and when a decision will be made, the officials said.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan hinted at the discussions Friday.

"When you look at the situation, a Norwegian ship, Japanese ship, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE, 15% of the world's oil flows through the Strait of Hormuz, so we obviously need to make contingency plans should the situation deteriorate but we also need to broaden our support for this international situation," he said.

According to the officials, the discussions are centering on the mission of deterrence and defense against Iranian aggression and what specific forces would be needed to conduct that mission.

Ilhan Omar blames Trump for Iran-linked attacks on oil tankers

Ilhan Omar blames Trump for Iran-linked attacks on oil tankers Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn, is placing blame on President Trump for last Thursday's attacks on two oil tankers, which the U.S. has linked to Iran. "None of this would be happening if Trump didn't back out of the Iran nuclear deal," Omar tweeted. "America’s response should be to return to the table and reinstate the Iran nuclear deal. Increasing tensions and threats of war serve nobody's interests." President Trump declared Iran was responsible for the attacks in the Gulf of Oman, pointing to video released by the U.S. Navy showing an Iranian vessel removing an unexploded mine.

It would be Iran’ s most significant reaction to date as President Trump has steadily increased sanctions. Last week, President Hassan Rouhani of Iran declared all American forces in the Middle East as terrorists and labeled John R. Bolton, the White House national security adviser, said in a

We ’re here today to discuss matters of vital importance to us all: America’ s security , prosperity And we are seeing the response we fully expected . Economic growth has topped 3 percent for two That is why this National Security Strategy emphasizes, more than any before, the critical steps we must

Ground combat forces for now are not part of the discussions. The officials said additional capabilities such as Patriot missile batteries, fighter jets and ships could contribute to greater deterrence and defense against Iranian missile firings.

Last month, US Central Command sent initial forces to the region. If an additional deployment is ordered, it will essentially fill the request initially made by Gen. Frank McKenzie, the Central Command commander, in May. The initial request was for thousands of troops based on the capabilities needed, several US officials said at the time.

The New York Times reported that top national security officials met Friday at the White House to discuss the tanker attacks and a proposal the Pentagon is considering to send more military forces to the Persian Gulf region.

What we know after Trump abruptly canceled the Iran strike.
Tensions between United States and Iran continued to rise after a U.S. drone was shot down. Poll shows many think we'll be at war within a few years.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!