World: Syrian rebels say Russian-backed forces prepare to resume offensive - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

WorldSyrian rebels say Russian-backed forces prepare to resume offensive

02:15  12 september  2019
02:15  12 september  2019 Source:   reuters.com

Turkish-US ground patrols of Syria safe zone to start Sunday

Turkish-US ground patrols of Syria safe zone to start Sunday ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's defense minister says Turkish and U.S. troops will begin joint ground patrols of a planned so-called safe zone in northern Syria on Sunday. © Provided by The Associated Press In this Aug. 22, 2019 photo, provided by the U.S. Army, shows A U.S. service member watches as Syrian Democratic Forces remove military fortifications during the implementation of the security mechanism along the Turkey-Syria border in northeast Syria. Ilham Ahmed, co-chair of the executive committee of the U.S-backed Syrian Democratic Council said Tuesday, Sept.

Turkey secured the rebels ’ agreement to pull back the weaponry, staving off a Syrian government offensive on the heavily populated rebel stronghold. Syrian rebel fighters pulled a tank and heavy weapons from front-line positions in Idlib, Syria , on Monday.CreditCreditBurak Karacaoglu/Anadolu

Syrian barrel bomb attack on rebels jeopardises US- Russia deal. The US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, said on Friday the Syrian military escalation “unambiguously Syrian government forces had so far made heavy use of artillery and rockets in the current assault, and Russian warplanes that

BEIRUT, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Syrian rebel fighters on Wednesday said Russian-backed forces were amassing troops in preparation for resuming a five-month offensive in northwest Syria after a second day of raids by jets believed to be Russian threatened to end a fragile ceasefire.

Syrian rebels say Russian-backed forces prepare to resume offensive Syrian onlookers gather at the scene of a reported Russian air strike in the village of al-Daher in Syria's northwestern Idlib province on September 11, 2019. - Russia carried out air strikes on jihadist targets in northwestern Syria the previous day for the first time since it declared a truce on August 31, a war monitor said. (Photo by Omar HAJ KADOUR / AFP) (Photo credit should read OMAR HAJ KADOUR/AFP/Getty Images)

Coalition says 'good progress' in north Syria buffer zone

Coalition says 'good progress' in north Syria buffer zone The US-led coalition said Sunday that "good progress" was being made in implementing a buffer zone in northern Syria along the Turkish border. "We are seeing good progress for the initial phase of security mechanism activities," the coalition said in a statement handed out to journalists. "The coalition and SDF have conducted multiple patrols to identify and remove fortifications to address concerns from Turkey," the statement said. "Four joint US and Turkish military overflights" by helicopter were also carried out, it said.

U.S.- backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said Sunday their offensive to retake Raqqa, the de facto capital of so-called Islamic State (IS), has Earlier this week, U.S. President Donald Trump received a plan regarding the Raqqa offensive after he had given the Pentagon 30 days to prepare it.

In their talks with Israel, the Russians said that while giving Assad the nod to go for Daraa and DEBKAfile: If the Trump administration has indeed backed away from supporting the southern front 68 thoughts on “ Russian air strikes back Syrian southern offensive . US to Southern Front rebels

The jets that flew overnight at high altitudes struck a village near Kafr Takhareem and an area near the town of Darkoush, both in rural areas in western Idlib province, two opposition sources and a resident in the area said.

The overnight bombing raid came hours after air strikes hit a part of the northwest for the first time since the truce was declared 11 days ago, according to activists and a monitor. Moscow denied conducting the first strikes.

Russia said the Syrian government unilaterally agreed to a truce on Aug. 31 in opposition-controlled Idlib, where a "de-escalation zone" was brokered two years ago between Russia and Turkey.

Erdogan says up to 3 million Syrian refugees can return to 'safe zone' if it extended

Erdogan says up to 3 million Syrian refugees can return to 'safe zone' if it extended Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that up to three million Syrian refugees can return to a planned "safe zone" in northern Syria if it is extended from Turkey's border to Deir al Zor and Raqqa, after talks with his Russian and Iranian counterparts. © Reuters/UMIT BEKTAS Turkish President Erdogan speaks during a joint news conference with his counterparts Rouhani of Iran and Putin of Russia in Ankara Speaking at a news conference in Ankara after talks for a lasting truce in Syria with Russia's Vladimir Putin and Iran's Hassan Rouhani, Erdogan said the summit had eliminated obstacles to the formation of a constitutional

The Syrian army says its forces have captured a string of villages in the east of the country from US- backed rebels . The SDF accused the Syrian authorities of seeking to disrupt preparations by the US-led coalition to resume an imminent offensive against Isis in several pockets of territory they

Syrian rebels say that the US will not help them fight a Russian - backed offensive by Syrian government forces . The words seem to go against earlier warnings from the US that Syrian President Bashar al Assad and his Russian allies would face "serious repercussions" if they violated

Since then, there has been an end to the intense air strikes by Russian and Syrian warplanes that since late April had accompanied the Russian-backed ground offensive to retake the last rebel bastion.

The Syrian army, aided by Iran-backed militias, also pounded several towns in southern Idlib, including Kafr Sejnah and Hazareen, in what the opposition says has been a persistent pattern of shelling of rebel-held areas despite the truce deal.

"Artillery shelling that has targeted villages of southern Idlib has not stopped since the alleged ceasefire," Mohammad Rashid, spokesman for the Jaish al-Nasr rebel group said.

The rebel official said jets believed to be Russian also hit for the second time a commanding height known as Kabaneh in the mountainous province of Latakia where rebels have for months withstood intense aerial bombing, after a similar raid on Tuesday.

Turkey accuses US of stalling on Syria 'safe zone' plans

Turkey accuses US of stalling on Syria 'safe zone' plans ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey accused the United States on Tuesday of taking only "cosmetic steps" toward the creation of a so-called "safe zone" in northeast Syria and renewed Ankara's threat of unilateral military intervention to form a buffer area along its border. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told journalists that Washington was too strongly involved with U.S.-allied Syrian Kurdish fighters and was stalling on plans for the safe zone.

Turkish- backed militants say several Russian Special Forces personnel killed in east Idlib ambush. No advances have been reported by the U.S.- backed forces as of yet. The resumption of SDF’s offensive , today, comes just days after reinforcements arrived in the Deir Ezzor Governorate from the

Russian jets bomb rebel positions in Syria including rural areas near the north-western town of The same sources say the Russian air strikes will soon be accompanied by Syrian army and allied ground advances. Hizbollah itself is preparing to take part in a big ground operation in northern Syria .

RUSSIAN TROOPS AMASSING

Rebels say that the Russian-led alliance that brings together elite army units and Iranian-backed militias were using the lull in fighting to reorganize their forces.

A week before the ceasefire, Moscow and its allies captured the strategic town of Khan Sheihkoun in the most significant advance against rebels since the start of the military offensive.

The opposition say new reinforcements from Russian special forces, Iranian-backed militias and elite Syrian army units were arriving daily and amassing in front lines in southern Idlib.

Several attempts by small crack units of Russian forces and Kremlin-linked private military contractors had been repelled in the last week, rebels say.

"The amassing of Iranian militias and Russian ground troops are all signals that something is being prepared for a new offensive," Major Youssef Hamoud, a spokesman of Turkey-backed National Army, a coalition of mainstream rebel factions.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in August Russian forces were fighting on the ground in Idlib to defeat militant Islamist groups whom Moscow and its Syrian ally blame for violating the de-escalation arrangement reached with Ankara.

Putin orders 'symmetrical response' to US missile test

Putin orders 'symmetrical response' to US missile test Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered his military to prepare a "symmetrical response" to a recent US test of a cruise missile, the Kremlin said in a statement.

[ Syrian forces begin ground offensive backed by Russian air and sea power]. New supplies arrived after the Russian deployments began, he said , and the rebels ’ allies have promised further Those areas were also where the first offensive since the Russian intervention was launched, with

While the Syrian Army launched their attacks, rebel forces attempted to push back against the offensive by Later in the day, government sources said eight locations were deserted or surrendered by rebel forces The Russian and Syrian air forces conducted 72 airstrikes starting at dawn.[123]

The deployment of Russian special forces and Iranian-backed forces succeeded in breaking months of stalemate on the front lines, where rebels had until then been holding back the army from major advances, Western intelligence sources say.

The capture of Khan Sheikhoun brought Moscow closer to regaining control over two of Syria’s most important pre-war highways from Aleppo to Hama and Latakia, on the Mediterranean coast.

"The goals that Russia has set has still not been achieved, which is taking the highways and trying to restore the regime's pre-war commercial arteries," Hamoud said.

The northwest offensive, in which non-governmental organizations and rights groups have accused the Russian-led alliance of using "scorched earth" bombing tactics, has prompted warnings by the United Nations and aid agencies of a new humanitarian crisis.

Hundreds of civilians have been killed while over a half a million people have been uprooted from villages and towns that now lay in ruins and sought shelter at the border with Turkey.

(Reporting by Suleiman Al-Khalidi Editing by Mark Heinrich and Lisa Shumaker)

Exclusive: Military leaders warn of 'ISIS insurgency' in Iraq, Syria breeding ground.
"World News Tonight" anchor David Muir got unprecedented access with U.S. troops trying to locate ISIS members desperate to resurge in Iraq and Syria.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!