World Hong Kong protesters on the move after tear gas breaks up harbor-front rally

10:35  27 october  2019
10:35  27 october  2019 Source:   reuters.com

Murder Suspect in Case Behind Hong Kong Protests to Surrender, Paper Says

  Murder Suspect in Case Behind Hong Kong Protests to Surrender, Paper Says The suspect in a Taiwan murder case that sparked Hong Kong’s biggest political crisis in decades is willing to turn himself in to Taiwanese authorities, a Hong Kong newspaper reported. © Bloomberg The Court of Final Appeal building in the Central district of Hong Kong. Chan Tong-kai, a Hong Kong man who has been accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend during a Valentine’s Day trip to Taiwan, is ready to return to the island and surrender after his release from jail on a related money-laundering charge, the Sing Tao Daily reported Friday.

Slideshow by photo services

Hong Kong reporter accuses police of violence against media

  Hong Kong reporter accuses police of violence against media A Hong Kong reporter disrupted a police news conference on Monday to protest what she called escalating violence by officers against journalists covering the city's pro-democracy protests.(Pictured) Riot police use pepper spray on Oct. 13.

HONG KONG, Oct 27 (Reuters) - Hong Kong police fired volleys of tear gas to disperse thousands of protesters, many wearing banned face masks, who converged on the Kowloon harbor-front tourist district on Sunday to denounce perceived police brutality over months of unrest.

Riot police arrived early, warning protesters to leave the tourist district of Tsim Sha Tsui, opposite the British colonial-era Peninsula Hotel, forming cordons and blocking traffic on the key artery of Nathan Road.

The number of protesters had been growing by the minute, streaming down Nathan Road to the water's edge, facing the dramatic skyline of Hong Kong island opposite, but many fled after the tear gas and pepper spray were fired.

Ambulances took one man away on a stretcher. The cause of his wounds was not immediately clear.

Police detained some protesters as they gathered, many yelling profanities while police used loudhailers to warn others away. The crowds at the waterfront had largely dispersed after a couple of hours and some were heading north up Nathan Road, where many luxury brand shops had closed their shutters.

China vows bolstered legal measures over Hong Kong protests

  China vows bolstered legal measures over Hong Kong protests China vowed Friday to prevent foreign powers interfering in Hong Kong's affairs and carrying out acts of "separatism, subversion, infiltration and sabotage."(Pictured) Riot police use pepper spray on Oct. 13.

Police stood by, batons in their hands, amid small scuffles with protesters.

The rallying cry of the protesters was also for the protection of "Muslims, journalists and the people."

A police water cannon fired bursts of blue-dyed water at a small group of people outside a mosque during protests in Tsim Sha Tsui last Sunday, drawing criticism from some in the Muslim community.

Billy, 26, a salesman, who did not want to give his full name, said he turned out on Sunday because he was angry at the spraying of the mosque.

"Hong Kong people, regardless of our religion ... we come here to say no to our totalitarian government," he told Reuters, adding he wanted to protest peacefully. "I have a little bit of fear ... because our police sometimes they are uncontrollable and they threaten the safety of our people."

Cindy Chu, 65, a retired nurse, said the police used to be a force for good.

"It's so simple. They are disturbing the Hong Kong people," she said. "And what for? What authority do they have to do that? It's Hong Kong, not China."

Chu said she was there to support journalists. When asked if she really wanted to give her full name, she said: "I am not afraid. If Hong Kong people are afraid of things like that, then the ending is not good."

She too was wearing a face mask, banned under a colonial-era law re-introduced by Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam this month.

Pro-democracy activists have in recent weeks attacked police with petrol bombs and rocks and slashed one officer in the neck with a knife. Police have responded with tear gas, water cannon, rubber bullets and occasional live rounds, wounding several protesters and a few journalists.

Police deny accusations of brutality, saying they have shown restraint in life-threatening situations. There had been a week-long lull in clashes.

Protesters are angry about what they see as creeping Chinese interference in Hong Kong, a former British colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula intended to guarantee freedoms that are not enjoyed on the mainland.

China denies meddling. It has accused foreign governments, including the United States and Britain, of stirring up trouble. (Writing by Nick Macfie; Editing by Lincoln Feast and Kenneth Maxwell)

Six wounded as bloody brawl caps day of Hong Kong mall chaos .
A bloody knife fight in Hong Kong left six people wounded on Sunday evening, including a local pro-democracy politician who had his ear bitten off, capping another chaotic day of political unrest in the city. Hong Kong has been upended by the huge, often violent, pro-democracy protests which have battered the financial hub's reputation for stability and helped plunge the city into recession. Police are firing ever increasing rounds of tear gas and rubber bullets against small groups of hardcore protesters who have embraced throwing petrol bombs as well as vandalising pro-China businesses.

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!