•   
  •   
  •   

World North Korea Rebuffs Latest Trump Advance

03:30  19 november  2019
03:30  19 november  2019 Source:   online.wsj.com

United States 'very actively' asking North Korea to return to talks - South Korea

  United States 'very actively' asking North Korea to return to talks - South Korea The United States is "very actively" trying to persuade North Korea to come back to negotiations, South Korea's national security adviser said on Sunday, as a year-end North Korean deadline for U.S. flexibility approaches. © Reuters/Nguyen Huy Kham Residents hold US and North Korean flags while they wait for motorcade of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un en route to the Metropole Hotel for the second US- North Korea summit in Hanoi South Korea was taking North Korea's deadline "very seriously", the adviser, Chung Eui-yong, told reporters, at a time when efforts to improve inter-Korean relations have stalled.

SEOUL— North Korea ’s response to President Trump ’s latest invitation: not interested. Adding a further hurdle to reviving stalled denuclearization talks, Pyongyang on Monday rejected the idea of another nuclear summit that “gives us nothing,” a day after President Trump had urged North Korean

SEOUL— North Korea ’s response to President Trump ’s latest invitation: not interested. Adding a further hurdle to reviving stalled denuclearization talks, Pyongyang on Monday rejected the idea of another nuclear summit that “gives us nothing,” a day after President Trump had urged North Korean

SEOUL—North Korea’s response to President Trump’s latest invitation: not interested.

a group of people posing for a photo© Yonhap News/Zuma Press

Adding a further hurdle to reviving stalled denuclearization talks, Pyongyang on Monday rejected the idea of another nuclear summit that “gives us nothing,” a day after President Trump had urged North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by tweet to “act quickly, get the deal done”—and closed with, “See you soon!”

Get news and analysis on politics, policy, national security and more, delivered right to your inbox

North Korea warns of retaliation against U.S-South Korea military drills

  North Korea warns of retaliation against U.S-South Korea military drills North Korea threatened on Wednesday to retaliate if the United States goes ahead with scheduled military drills with South Korea, ramping up pressure on Washington to change course as a year-end North Korean deadline for U.S. flexibility approaches. The statement came even though Washington said last week that the joint aerial exercise planned for next month would be reduced in scope from previous drills.

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea threw President Trump ’s planned summit meeting with its leader, Kim Jong-un, into doubt on Wednesday, threatening to call off the landmark encounter if the United States insisted on “unilateral nuclear abandonment.” The warning, made by the North ’s

A North Korean official rebuffed an offer by presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump to meet with Kim Jong Un. An official called Trump ’s statement a “kind of propaganda or advertisement.” Last week, Trump said he was willing to speak to the regime’s volatile leader in an

North Korea has escalated threats in recent weeks to cut off negotiations with the U.S., protesting scheduled U.S.-South Korea military exercises and attacking Washington’s “hostile” policy against the isolated regime. Mr. Kim and other senior officials had already set a year-end deadline for the U.S. to propose a disarmament deal that is suitable to Pyongyang.

A senior North Korean diplomat, in a Monday statement carried by state media, said he interpreted Mr. Trump’s tweet as suggesting the two countries meet for a third summit.

“We are not interested in summits that give us nothing,” the official said, in an unofficial translation. “We must receive our end of the bargain for what President Trump has touted as his achievements already.”

North Korea says Trump administration sought reopening of nuclear talks

  North Korea says Trump administration sought reopening of nuclear talks North Korea on Thursday said the United States has proposed a resumption of stalled nuclear negotiations in December as they approach an end-of-year deadline set by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un for the Trump administration to offer an acceptable deal to salvage the talks. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); In a statement released by state media, North Korean negotiator Kim Myong Gil didn’t clearly say whether the North would accept the supposed U.S. offer.

매티스, "트럼프 대통령과 북 해법 모순없다" 백악관 대북옵션에 협상도 여전히 포함돼있어 We start with clarifications from the U.S. regarding its North Korea approach U.S. defense chief

Our Connie Kim has the latest on Washington's North Korea policy. U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis leaped at the opportunity to clarify his stance after he came under-fire for seemingly undermining President Trump 's views on how to deal with North Korea . Ahead of his meeting with South Korea 's

The White House declined to elaborate on Mr. Trump’s Twitter message, which comes after months have passed without progress in what the administration saw as one of its chief foreign policy initiatives only 16 months ago, when Messrs. Trump and Kim held their first summit.

That meeting, in Singapore in June 2018, was followed by a second summit in February and a third meeting between the two leaders in June 2019, along the boundary between North and South Korea.

But the two sides have never succeeded in launching sustained talks among technical experts and diplomats to move through the lengthy list of issues involved with the process of lifting global sanctions and removing nuclear weapons.

North Korea abruptly broke off one of the few efforts to hold technical talks with the U.S. last month in Stockholm. Last week, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and his South Korean counterpart said a major allied air exercise originally slated to begin this week would be postponed—a gesture Washington hoped would show its sincere interest in continued diplomacy.

US, S Korea postpone joint exercise criticized by N Korea

  US, S Korea postpone joint exercise criticized by N Korea The United States and South Korea on Sunday said they were postponing a joint military air exercise that North Korea has criticized as provocative. U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper and his South Korean counterpart made the announcement in Bangkok, where they were attending an Asia defense ministers’ conference. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); Esper told reporters he did not consider the postponement a concession to North Korea.

매티스, "트럼프 대통령과 북 해법 모순없다" 백악관 대북옵션에 협상도 여전히 포함돼있어 Once again Washington is sending mixed signals on ways to deal with North Korea . President Trump said

매티스, "트럼프 대통령과 북 해법 모순없다" 백악관 대북옵션에 협상도 여전히 포함돼있어 Once again Washington is sending mixed signals on ways to deal with North Korea . President Trump said

North Korea has consistently described such allied military drills as rehearsals for invasion, and proof that the U.S. and South Korea haven’t dropped their hostility toward Pyongyang.

But despite the fiery rhetoric, Pyongyang has kept the door open to talks should Washington shift its negotiating stance. Over the past year, state media had refrained from criticizing Mr. Trump, instead lavishing him with praise. But Monday’s report, and another last week, took a subtle jab, warning that Pyongyang wouldn’t acquiesce to future meetings that the president could hail as a foreign-policy win at home.

“North Korea hates feeling like they’ve lost the initiative,” said Kim Jina, a senior researcher at the Korea Institute of Defense Analyses, a state-run think tank in Seoul. “Trump’s tweet makes them feel like the U.S. is being unilateral.”

Write to Andrew Jeong at andrew.jeong@wsj.com

Trump considering withdrawing up to 4,000 U.S. troops from South Korea: report .
Trump considering withdrawing up to 4,000 U.S. troops from South Korea: reportThe United States broke off talks with South Korea on Tuesday after demanding Seoul raise its annual contribution for U.S. troop costs to $5 billion, over five times what it is currently paying, according to South Korean lawmakers.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!