World: China releases video of UK consulate worker's confession - - PressFrom - US
  •   
  •   
  •   

World China releases video of UK consulate worker's confession

14:50  21 november  2019
14:50  21 november  2019 Source:   msn.com

Mollie Tibbetts' accused killer wants confession thrown out, claims he wasn't read rights

  Mollie Tibbetts' accused killer wants confession thrown out, claims he wasn't read rights New, gruesome details emerged in court during a pre-trial hearing in the case of murdered 20-year-old Iowa college student Mollie Tibbetts. © Provided by Fox News Network LLCAt this week’s suppression hearings in Poweshiek County, a judge heard arguments from both sides on whether the confession from Tibbett’s alleged killer, 25-year-old Cristhian Rivera, will be useable in court.Authorities admit Rivera was not properly given his Miranda rights the first time he was read them during more than 11 hours of questioning last summer.

But China had already begun to accuse the UK of meddling in Hong Kong, with British politicians becoming But it was no use. Eventually, they made him record two video confessions , he says The UK ' s Hong Kong consulate has since reviewed, and tightened up, its guidelines for local staff

China attempts to smear British consulate worker by releasing footage they claim shows him 'visiting a club to solicit prostitutes' as they deny he was The former UK consulate worker from Hong Kong was detained in August. Police claimed Mr Cheng was caught on camera visiting a 'club' in Shenzhen.

Chinese police published Thursday a video purporting to show a former employee of the British consulate in Hong Kong confessing to soliciting prostitutes, after Britain backed his allegation that he was tortured over pro-democracy protests.

a group of people posing for the camera: Simon Cheng was placed in administrative detention after visiting the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen© Anthony WALLACE Simon Cheng was placed in administrative detention after visiting the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen

The case has added to tensions between Beijing and London over the demonstrations that have roiled the former British colony for months.

Simon Cheng, a Hong Kong citizen, said on Wednesday he was shackled to a steel "tiger chair", hung spread-eagled on a "steep X-Cross" and beaten by secret police while he was detained in the southern mainland city of Shenzhen for 15 days in August.

Commerce Department extends Huawei license for another 90 days

  Commerce Department extends Huawei license for another 90 days In May, the Trump administration essentially banned the purchase and sale of Huawei products on a temporary basis. The emergency measure was meant to stem concerns that the company provides intelligence or backdoor access to the Chinese government while US agencies investigate the allegations. Organizations that wanted an exemption to this had to apply for what's called a Temporary General License, or TGL. The latest extension of the TGL was scheduled to expire today, but the Department of Commerce announced a 90-day extension this morning.

The Chinese foreign ministry has rejected claims it tortured a former employee of the British consulate in Hong Kong. It says the case is not a diplomatic

A man who was abducted by China while working for the British consulate in Hong Kong has claimed he Mr Cheng, a Hong Kong national who worked for the UK consulate for two years, says he China says it doesn't allow suspects to be tortured or make false confessions , although rights groups

Cheng said in a statement on Facebook that police had accused him of being a British spy and questioned him about London's role in protests that have wracked the semi-autonomous city for months.

Cheng said he felt he had no choice but to make a filmed confession to "soliciting prostitution", a charge that he said was offered by police as an alternative to "indefinite criminal detention", and that he had not been allowed to contact his family.

He added in the statement that he had "got a massage for relaxation after work hours".

Shenzhen police on Thursday posted a video on the Twitter-like Weibo platform purporting to show Cheng entering and leaving a room in a "clubhouse" multiple times.

AFP could not immediately verify the video, which also contained separate footage in which Cheng is asked why he does not want police to tell his family about his detention.

5 books not to miss: 'Anonymous' Trump book, 'A Warning;' 'The Confession Club;' 'Strange Planet'

  5 books not to miss: 'Anonymous' Trump book, 'A Warning;' 'The Confession Club;' 'Strange Planet' An anonymous senior Trump administration official sounds the alarm in "A Warning," and David Baldacci thrills with his latest Atlee Pine book.1. “A Warning,” by Anonymous (Twelve, nonfiction, on sale Nov.

Emergency service workers remove a man from the campus. China has repeatedly criticized foreign countries, particularly the United States and the UK , for interfering in Chinese internal affairs through their reactions to the violent clashes taking place in Hong Kong.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang on Wednesday said that Shenzhen police had "guaranteed" Cheng' s "legitimate rights and interests in accordance with the law." Geng said that he was unaware of any statements from London on Cheng' s situation, but that China expressed "strong

Cheng says this is because it is a "shameful incident", adding that he feels "too ashamed to meet my girlfriend and my family".

"I am determined to mend my ways and I will never make the same mistake again," he says.

He is not heard speaking about prostitutes.

- 'Amounts to torture' -

The video, initially published on Weibo and Twitter by the state-run People's Daily, was accompanied by a description that said Cheng had confessed to hiring sex workers three times in half a month.

Chinese criminal suspects often appear in videotaped "confessions" that rights groups say sometimes bear the hallmarks of official arm-twisting.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang on Wednesday said that Shenzhen police had "guaranteed" Cheng's "legitimate rights and interests in accordance with the law".

Cheng was placed in administrative detention after visiting the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen in August.

Brooklyn man's murder conviction overturned after 2 decades in prison

  Brooklyn man's murder conviction overturned after 2 decades in prison Brooklyn man's murder conviction overturned after 2 decades in prisonDeLeon sat in his tan prison jumpsuit with his hands clenched under his chin, crying as the judge announced the conviction was getting thrown out.

The Chinese foreign ministry has rejected claims it tortured a former employee of the British consulate in Hong Kong. It says the case is not a diplomatic issue and urged the UK to stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs. Simon Cheng, or Zheng Wenjie, was detained in August under the charge of soliciting

A FORMER British consulate official in Hong Kong, who was “tortured” after being detained in China , has spoken of his harrowing ordeal, during which he was shackled and forced to squat for hours as Mr Cheng was eventually released on August 24, but not before police forced him to plead guilty to

He said in his statement that police hand given him a "script" with questions and answers "totally designed by them in advance" for a filmed confession.

British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said Wednesday that Cheng's allegations are credible and that the treatment "amounts to torture".

Raab told BBC radio that he summoned the Chinese ambassador to denounce the "disgraceful" and "outrageous behaviour from the authorities in China" which violate international law.

Amnesty International also said Cheng's testimony was credible because his allegations were "in line with the endemic torture and other ill-treatment in detention we have repeatedly documented in mainland China".

Cheng, who has said he was asked to resign from the consulate, could not be immediately reached for comment about the video. In his Facebook post, he said he would not be making further statements.

tjx/lth/kaf

Iraq condemns attack on Iran's consulate in southern Najaf: state media .
Iraq condemns attack on Iran's consulate in southern Najaf: state mediaWednesday's attack was 'aimed at damaging the historical relations between Iraq and Iran and with rest of the countries', the ministry said in a statement.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!