•   
  •   
  •   

World Trump pushed U.S. and Iran 'close to the brink,' Iran's Zarif tells NBC News

01:05  15 february  2020
01:05  15 february  2020 Source:   nbcnews.com

Twitter told it's violating sanctions by allowing Iran leaders to have accounts

  Twitter told it's violating sanctions by allowing Iran leaders to have accounts Four US senators have asked Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to stop providing social media services to Iran's leaders."It is a sanctionable offense for 'any person' to have 'provided ... technological support for, or goods or services to persons designated pursuant to that EO," the letter reads.

Iran ’ s response to the Trump administration’ s “maximum pressure” campaign was to enact a The two men met once a week for breakfast to coordinate, Mr. Zarif said during a recent interview with The Brink of War. The new year brought a confrontational exchange on Twitter — Mr. Trump ’ s

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Monday his country does not want a war with the U . S . but said President Donald Trump must lift harsh In an interview with NBC Nightly News ’ Lester Holt, Zarif said the door is "wide open" to diplomacy if Trump removes the array of sanctions he has

MUNICH — Iran and the U.S. exchanged angry letters during the recent confrontation that followed the U.S. drone strike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and the two sides came "very close to the brink," Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told NBC News.

Mohammad Javad Zarif looking at the camera© NBC News

In an exclusive interview with NBC's Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel, Zarif said relations remained tense after the January showdown and blamed President Donald Trump for pursuing a misguided policy toward Iran.

"It's unfortunate that the United States, based on misinformation, based on ignorance and arrogance, combined on a course that has brought the region very close to the brink," Zarif said. "We were very close to a war."

Iran says foils cyberattack targeting internet providers

  Iran says foils cyberattack targeting internet providers Iran repelled a cyberattack on Saturday that disrupted the country's internet services for an hour, a telecommunications ministry official said. "At 11:44 (0814 GMT) a distributed denial-of-service attack disrupted the internet services of some mobile and fixed operators for an hour," tweeted Sajad Bonabi.

Iran rejects that description. Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters Iran ' s mission to the United Nations did not respond to a request for comment. Richardson vs. U . S Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had called publicly in April last year for a comprehensive swap of

Trump Calls Iran ’ s Shooting Down of a U . S . Drone a ‘Very Bad Mistake’. Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Iran ’ s ambassador to the United Nations, wrote in a letter to the Security Council that According to Iranian news media, a foreign minister spokesman there said that flying a drone into Iranian airspace

Zarif alleged that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had written an "extremely inappropriate letter to Iran" at the height of the crisis in January and that his government responded with a strongly worded reply.

Pompeo's letter contained "threats," Zarif said, but he said he would not repeat what was written as it was beneath him. "Let him say what he put in that letter."

Zarif said the response from the Iran's Foreign Ministry was "not as impolite as his letter. "

The State Department could not be immediately reached for comment.

Slideshow by photo services

NBC News was able to review a copy of the Iranian Foreign Ministry's response to Pompeo's letter.

Trump takes aim at Dem senator over Iran meeting, suggests he should be prosecuted

  Trump takes aim at Dem senator over Iran meeting, suggests he should be prosecuted President Trump lashed out at Sen. Chris Murphy for meeting with Iran's foreign minister.

As President Trump prepared to announce a final decision on the Iranian nuclear deal, some Hill Republicans have If he does not renew the waiver, it would signal to U . S . allies and Iran that the U . S Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.

Trump withdrew the US from the Iran nuclear deal last year. On the other hand, Trump has a way of blowing hot one minute and cold the next. According to the Fars news agency, Maj General Hossein Salami followed foreign minister Mohamma d Javad Zarif by saying Iran was not pursuing war either.

The Iranian foreign minister, speaking on the sidelines of an annual security conference in Munich, acknowledged that the tone of communication between the two governments had deteriorated.

"It didn't used to be this way," Zarif said, citing negotiations during the Obama administration in which he frequently spoke to then-Secretary of State John Kerry.

"I'm still the same foreign minister that dealt with John Kerry in a respectable way."

Zarif blamed the U.S. administration for triggering the crisis and said that it was up to Trump to pull back.

Asked about the risk of an inadvertent war, Zarif said, "Well, the United States hit at the wrong place, at the wrong time, and these are the consequences and we can't control the consequences, nor can the United States. I mean, people are responsible for the consequences of their actions and I think people who initiated this, need to walk back."

After Soleimani and the commander of an Iranian-backed militia in Iraq was killed in the U.S. drone strike at Baghdad airport, Iran retaliated on Jan. 8 by firing ballistic missiles at two bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq. Zarif said the missile assault was meant to send a message.

"We wanted to show to the United States that they could not bully Iran. Actions against Iran will have repercussions, but the intention was not to kill anybody," Zarif said. "The intention was to send a message, a very clear message to the United States, that if they kill Iranians, we will hit back."

Additional US service member diagnosed with brain injury from Iran attack

  Additional US service member diagnosed with brain injury from Iran attack One more U.S. service member has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury following Iran's January missile strike in Iraq, the Pentagon announced Friday.The new diagnosis brings the total number of U.S. service members who suffered brain injuries in the attack to 110."From al Asad to Germany and the United States, the military's medical professionals continue to work diligently to ensure the appropriate level of care for our service members, which has enabled 70 percent of those diagnosed to return to duty," the Pentagon said in a news release Friday, referring a military base in Iraq.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted in response that such "genocidal taunts won't 'end Iran '". The US has deployed additional warships and planes to the Gulf in recent days. But Mr Trump ' s tweet marks a shift in tone after recent attempts to downplay the possibility of military conflict.

Iran ' s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif speaks during the ministerial meeting of the Non-Aligned “President Trump says he pulled out of the Iran nuclear agreement to force Iran back to the negotiating This doesn’t move us closer to peace, it further escalates an already tense situation.”

No U.S. troops were killed in the attack but the Pentagon said on Monday that more than 100 service members suffered traumatic brain injuries from the missile barrage.

The Trump administration said the strike against Soleimani was justified because of what it said was a growing threat posed to U.S. personnel in the region by Iran and its proxies, especially after an American contractor was killed in a rocket attack in northern Iraq that Washington blamed on an Iranian-backed militia.

Zarif denied that Iran had control over Shiite militias in Iraq or the Hezbollah militia in Lebanon, which Western and Arab governments believe are clearly directed by the Tehran regime. Before Soleimani was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad, the head of the Revolutionary Guard Quds force was trying to defuse tensions and persuade the militias in Iraq not to take military action, Zarif said.

Soleimani was working at "containing people from engaging in actual military operations against anybody," Zarif said. "This was his job. This was what he was trying to do, to contain the situation. "

Zarif also acknowledged that Iran is not able to extract information from the black box from the Ukrainian airliner that was shot down by Iranian forces on Jan. 8, but said that Tehran will not hand over the box to outside governments.

Zarif defended Iran's decision not to hand over the black box from the Boeing-manufactured aircraft, which Iran says it shot down. Zarif called the incident a tragedy and noted that most of the 176 passengers killed had Iranian passports and relatives in Iran.

Under international aviation rules, Iran had the right to lead the investigation into the downing of the airliner, Zarif said. But he said Iran needed software, cables and additional expertise from the U.S. or other Western countries to be able to decipher the information in the black box.

"We have asked for help, why haven't the United States helped us? This is a humanitarian issue. Why haven't they given us the software? Why haven't they given us the expertise?" Zarif said.

"There are still a lot of unknowns. That's why we want more than anybody else to know what is in the black box, to know what actually happened."

For the moment, "it's just sitting there," Zarif said of the black box.

NBC's Engel asked Zarif, "Right now as we're sitting here , nobody is working on it? Nobody's trying to decipher this?"

And Zarif answered, "No, no. we will not touch the black box without the presence of all interested parties."

In a meeting earlier with Zarif in Munich, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he had "impressed upon" Iran's foreign minister that a complete and independent investigation into the shooting down of the Ukrainian passenger plane had to be carried out.

Earthquake of magnitude 5.7 strikes Turkey-Iran border region - EMSC .
An earthquake of magnitude 5.7 struck the Turkey-Iran border region early on Sunday, the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) said, although an Iranian official said there were no immediate signs of damage or casualties. The quake had a depth of 5 kilometres (3.1 miles), according to EMSC. "Our rescue teams have been dispatched to the area. So far, we had no reports of damage or fatalities in the area, which is not a populated area in Iran's West Azarbaijan province," an Iranian official told state TV.Crisscrossed by major fault lines, Iran is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 4
This is interesting!