•   
  •   
  •   

World Yemeni Survivor Calls for Probe Into U.S. Mercenary Attack

18:15  17 february  2020
18:15  17 february  2020 Source:   newsweek.com

State lawmaker connects Souza-Baranowski unrest to Boston violence, an allegation prison authorities reject

  State lawmaker connects Souza-Baranowski unrest to Boston violence, an allegation prison authorities reject State lawmaker connects Souza-Baranowski unrest to Boston violence, an allegation prison authorities reject.State Representative Chynah Tyler, a Democrat whose district includes Roxbury, the Fenway, and parts of the Back Bay, made the allegations in a Monday letter to Governor Charlie Baker. She did not cite specific instances of violence in Boston in the letter. She did say she had made an unannounced visit to the Shirley prison on Jan. 31 and that she had received “the personal testimony of the inmates.

For the first 15 minutes, American military officials called their Russian counterparts and urged them to The outcome of the battle, and much of its mechanics, suggest that the Russian mercenaries and their Questions remain about exactly who the Russian mercenaries were, and why they attacked .

Yemen ' s powerful former president Ali Abdullah Saleh called for more attacks at the Saudi border. Mr Saleh holds sway in the military fighting Houthi rebels who pushed Yemen ' s internationally recognised government into exile in March 2015. Saudi Arabia has launched thousands of air strikes against the

A Yemeni who survived an assassination operation ordered by the United Arab Emirates and led by American mercenaries has spoken out about his campaign on the U.S. government to hold those responsible to account.

Soldiers with a military coalition in Yemen backed by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates stand guard at a facility of Yemen's Red sea mills company in the port city of Hodeida.© Saleh Al-Obeidi/AFP/Getty Images Soldiers with a military coalition in Yemen backed by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates stand guard at a facility of Yemen's Red sea mills company in the port city of Hodeida.

Abdullah Suliman Abdullah Daubalah, a former journalist, was caught up in the 2015 attempted assassination of Yemeni politician Ansaf Ali Mayo in the southern city of Aden, which was then under the control of the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council.

Strategies paying off: Palm Beach County cardiac arrest victims surviving at higher rates

  Strategies paying off: Palm Beach County cardiac arrest victims surviving at higher rates Andy Taylor, 43, says he would not be here today if it were not for a CPR course his then 14-year-old son, Caleb, took at Loggers' Run Middle School in Boca Raton. Taylor returned home from a morning workout on July 27, 2018. He began having chest pains and collapsed. His wife called 911. That is when Caleb, his 14-year-old son, stepped in. "I got it, mom," he told his mother. Caleb quickly performed CPR, putting to use what he had learned from the full-day course. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.

United Nations officials have condemned two recent Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen that killed at least 26 children, renewing calls for “an

The Kremlin hasn’t acknowledged a single loss from the deadliest reported attack since the Cold War ended. And that’ s why the Wagner private mercenaries Last week, the headquarters of a U . S . proxy in Syria—the Syrian Democratic Forces—and their American advisers came under attack by a large

American mercenaries working for the Spear Operations Group carried out the mission, in which no one was killed. A 2018 Buzzfeed report detailed how the UAE contracted the Americans in their campaign against "terrorist" targets in Yemen, many of whom were linked to the Islamist Al-Islah political party—a Yemeni affiliate of the Muslim Brotherhood organization that is banned in the UAE.

Daubalah—now living in Turkey having fled Yemen via Jordan—is one of two Yemenis calling on American, British and Turkish authorities to arrest the Americans and Emiratis accused of involvement in the covert campaign as well as other war crimes committed in Yemen.

Sudan Says It Agrees to Compensate Families of U.S.S. Cole Bombing

  Sudan Says It Agrees to Compensate Families of U.S.S. Cole Bombing NAIROBI, Kenya — Sudan’s interim government said on Thursday that it had reached a financial settlement with families of the victims of the attack on the U.S.S. Cole in Yemen, as part of an effort to persuade the United States to remove the country from a list of state sponsors of terrorism. Seventeen sailors died and another 39 were wounded in the attack, which took place in 2000. Sudanese officials said a settlement had been reached with the families on Feb. 7, but did not specify how much compensation would be given. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.

A U . S . envoy on religion called for an independent investigation into the China' s internment of 1 million Muslims and for the release of those being held. Brownback also contrasted Beijing’ s attacks on religion with the tolerant approach of governments such as that of Taiwan, the self-governing island

World Yemen Houthi Probe Attack . Thousands of Yemenis , many of them armed, gathered at the United Nations headquarters in Yemen ' s capital Sanaa on Sunday calling for an international investigation into an air strike on a wake this weekend that was widely blamed on Saudi-led forces.

Last week, Daubalah and his lawyers at the London-based Stoke White firm submitted all collected evidence to the U.S. Department of Justice, the Turkish Ministry of Justice and Britain's Metropolitan Police.

They have not yet released the names of those they accuse of wrongdoing, nor the nature of their evidence. Stoke White said Daubalah and the other complainant—Salah Muslem Salem, whose brother was killed in Yemen in 2019—are self-funding their case with no third-party support.

Both the DOJ and the UAE embassy in London declined to comment on the accusations. The UAE embassy in Washington did not reply to Newsweek's phone calls and emails requesting comment.

Mayo was Islah's top politician in Aden, and his name thus made its way onto the UAE kill list. The Americans targeted Islah's headquarters, hoping to attach a shrapnel bomb to the building's front door that would kill Mayo when detonated.

Graham requests interviews with DOJ, FBI officials as part of probe into Russia investigation

  Graham requests interviews with DOJ, FBI officials as part of probe into Russia investigation Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is requesting interviews with a slew of current and former Justice Department and FBI officials as part of his panel's probe into the department's handling of the investigation into Russia's election interference and the Trump campaign. © Aaron Schwartz Graham requests interviews with DOJ, FBI officials as part of probe into Russia investigation Graham sent a letter to Attorney General William Barr on Friday asking that he make 17 officials, many of whom are identified only by title, available for interviews.

The hull of a Norwegian-registered product tanker was damaged off the coast of the UAE. This is the latest vessel to be reportedly vandalised in the region.

United Nations officials have condemned two recent Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen that killed at least 26 children, renewing calls for "an impartial, independent and prompt investigation" into attacks targeting civilians in the crisis-hit Arab country. United Nations Under-Secretary-General for

But the raid was botched. Mayo had left the building around 10 minutes before the Americans arrived, and drone footage obtained by BuzzFeed shows how the operation descended into confusion after one of the mercenaries opened fire at an unknown target further down the street while his comrade attempted to plant the explosives.

Daubalah previously lived in the capital Sana'a, but after the Houthi rebels took the city they closed the news channel he worked for and began persecuting Islah members, he said. Daubalah fled to Aden, where Mayo offered him a job working for Islah's media team.

Daubalah told Newsweek he was one of around 20 people inside the headquarters on December 29, 2015, when the Americans—supported by UAE troops and French Foreign Legion soldiers—launched their attack.

After the first explosion—of the bomb intended to kill Mayo—Daubalah said he tried to reach the building's balcony to see what was happening. But after a second blast—the mercenaries booby-trapped their jeep to cause more damage and confusion—Daubalah and several other journalists took shelter on the roof of the building.

Donald Stratton, Pearl Harbor survivor who fought for recognition of hero sailor, dead at 97

  Donald Stratton, Pearl Harbor survivor who fought for recognition of hero sailor, dead at 97 Donald Stratton, one of the last USS Arizona survivors from Pearl Harbor who fought for the recognition of one of his heroic shipmates, died Saturday night in his sleep, his granddaughter told Fox News. © FoxNews.com Pearl Harbor veteran to head to Washington to press lawmakers to honor man who saved his life; Lucas Tomlinson reports from the Pentagon Stratton died of natural causes in Colorado Springs, Colo., his family said. He was 97.The Navy veteran said it wasn't until 2001, during a reunion of Pearl Harbor survivors, that he discovered the identity of the U.S.

Amid the chaos, Daubalah said he heard someone outside shouting "go, go" in English. This confused him, he said, as he did not know of any Americans or even non-Arabs operating in Aden.

At least some of those behind the raid are believed to be residing in the U.S. Daubalah and his legal team argue they—and accused Emirati officials—can be arrested under Universal Jurisdiction. This allows nations to investigate or prosecute those accused of war crimes regardless of their nationality or where the incidents occurred.

The American mercenaries who spoke to BuzzFeed News said they targeted those classified as terrorists by the UAE government—a U.S. ally. Daubalah rejected this argument, noting that all those in the Islah headquarters on during the attack were politicians and civilians.

"The UAE is just using this terrorist stuff to justify their attacks on those politicians who speak out against them," he said. The UAE and its American contractors were "trying to empty Aden of the politicians who were speaking out against the UAE," he argued.

Daubalah acknowledged it is unlikely that U.S. authorities will detain any of the accused Americans. Instead, his complaint is about trying to curb UAE assassination campaigns and make nations "think twice" before drafting in mercenaries. He also noted that 20 people could have been killed, and that "lives are precious and they cannot be overlooked."

McConnell, Graham and McCarthy vow efforts to 'intimidate' Barr will 'fall woefully short'

  McConnell, Graham and McCarthy vow efforts to 'intimidate' Barr will 'fall woefully short' Top congressional Republicans issued a joint statement Tuesday in defense of Attorney General Bill Barr, who has faced renewed Democratic calls to step aside after senior DOJ officials downgraded prosecutors' sentencing recommendation for former Trump aide Roger Stone. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., emphasized that Barr has the "highest character and unquestionable integrity" – and they said Democrats' efforts to "intimidate" him would fail spectacularly.

It seems unlikely that President Donald Trump—who has lionized regular American soldiers convicted of war crimes—would allow American citizens to be arrested or charged with war crimes, particularly in such a murky case with unclear evidence.

Daubalah said he hopes the Department of Justice retains its independence and is able to investigate the allegations without presidential interference. Though he "doesn't have any faith in the government," Daubalah said he still "trusts the independent nature of the American justice system."

American voters can also bring pressure to bear, he said, forcing lawmakers to "move towards making the government have a better system where those mercenaries cannot operate this easily in the Middle East or anywhere else."

The U.S. and other Western nations have provided logistical support to UAE and Saudi Arabian forces in their Yemen intervention. This includes American bombs used in several alleged war crimes.

But Daubalah stressed that he and many other Yemenis do not conflate the American people with an administration that is widely unpopular across the Middle East. "They're able to differentiate between the people and the system," he said of his compatriots.

"They do blame the American system, the American government, for a lot of the chaos that's happening within Yemen, but they are intelligent enough to make the distinction."

Sign up to our newsletter and get Newsweek stories delivered to your e-mail

Georgia imputes to Russia a massive cyber attack .
GEORGIA-CYBERSECURITY-RUSSIA: Georgia imputes to Russia a massive cyber attack © Reuters / DADO RUVIC GEORGIA IMPUTE TO RUSSIA A MASSIVE CYBER ATTACK TBILISSI (Reuters) - Georgia said Thursday that the large-scale cyber attack that paralyzed thousands of websites last October had been planned and implemented by Russia, which the latter denied. Washington and London supported the authorities in Tbilisi and also attributed responsibility for the attack to Moscow.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!