World New Zealand mosque shooter changes plea to guilty
Man to be sentenced in 2017 murder of Andrea Urban in Hinsdale home
Man to be sentenced in 2017 murder of Andrea Urban in Hinsdale homeA jury found Dominic Sanders guilty of stabbing the 51-year-old during a 2017 home invasion.
WELLINGTON (Reuters) - The Australian man accused of killing 51 worshippers at two mosques in New Zealand in March last year entered a surprise guilty plea in court in Christchurch on Thursday, and admitted to all charges, media reports said.
Brenton Tarrant, the man accused of fatally shooting 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand , in court in March.Credit Mark Mitchell/ New Zealand Herald, via Associated Press.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — One year after killing 51 worshipers at two Christchurch mosques, an Australian white supremacist accused of the slaughter on Thursday changed his plea to guilty.
Twenty-nine-year-old Brenton Harrison Tarrant pleaded guilty to 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one count of terrorism. The killing spree was the deadliest in New Zealand's modern history and prompted the government to rush through new laws banning most semi-automatic weapons.
Tarrant was scheduled to go to trial on the charges in June. His change in plea came as a surprise and relief to survivors and relatives of the victims.
A sentencing date has yet to be set. Tarrant faces life imprisonment on the charges.
The plea came at a hastily arranged court hearing at a time that New Zealand was beginning a four-week lockdown to try and combat the new coronavirus. The lockdown meant that Tarrant appeared in the court from his jail cell via video link and that only a few people were allowed inside the courtroom.
Former USC admissions officer admits he made money in grad school scheme .
International students who were "not otherwise qualified for admission" got in with help from David Chong.David Chong, an assistant director in USC’s Office of Graduate Admissions from 2008 to 2016, agreed to plead guilty to one count of wire fraud, according to court documents unsealed Wednesday.
Similar from the Web
WELLINGTON (Reuters) - The Australian man accused of killing 51 worshippers at two mosques in New Zealand in March last year entered a surprise guilty plea in court in Christchurch on Thursday, and admitted to all charges, media reports said. www.swissinfo.ch
Brenton Tarrant, the man accused of fatally shooting 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand , in court in March.Credit Mark Mitchell/ New Zealand Herald, via Associated Press. www.nytimes.com
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand – The man accused of the New Zealand mosque attacks smirked as his lawyer entered not guilty pleas to terrorism, murder and attempted murder charges Friday before a judge who set his trial for next May. The courtroom was filled with 80 survivors and family members of www.usatoday.com
Christchurch, New Zealand - The man accused of killing 51 people during a shooting spree in March at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand , has pleaded not guilty to all charges levelled against him. A lawyer for Australian-born Brenton Tarrant, 28, said on Friday his client pleaded not guilty to www.aljazeera.com
Brenton Harrison Tarrant has pleaded guilty to all 51 murder charges, 40 charges of attempted murder and one charge on engaging in a terrorist act, New Zealand The two Imams from the Al Noor and Linwood Avenue Mosques were present in the courtroom as representatives of the victims, as were sputniknews.com
Brenton Tarrant, the 28-year-old man accused of the Christchurch mosque shootings, plead not guilty to 51 charges of murder, 40 charges of attempted murder and one terrorism related charge, in Christchurch on Thursday. Family members of victims, as well as survivors, filled the court, while
The man accused of shooting worshippers at two New Zealand mosques in March has pleaded Tarrant entered a not guilty plea to 51 charges of murder and 40 charges of attempted murder and Less than a month after the shooting , New Zealand lawmakers voted to change the country's gun
The Australian man accused of killing 51 worshippers at two mosques in New Zealand in March pleaded not guilty to all charges in a court on Friday Brenton Tarrant, charged for murder in relation to the mosque attacks, is led into the dock for his appearance in the Christchurch District Court, New
His guilty plea was suppressed from the public for an hour while victims were informed. A witness said a Muslim local chased the shooters at the mosque in Linwood, firing in 'self defence'. 8.35pm: New Zealand 's Government confirmed this is the first time ever the terror level has been lifted from
New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said that four people had been taken into custody, three men and one woman. A 28-year-old Australian man who was charged with murder was remanded without plea until his next appearance in court on April 5, while two others remain in police custody.