•   
  •   
  •   

World Civilians killed in airstrikes on Taliban base, Afghan official says

21:46  19 september  2020
21:46  19 september  2020 Source:   reuters.com

Afghan envoy agrees to testify before House panel after subpoena threat

  Afghan envoy agrees to testify before House panel after subpoena threat The Trump administration's envoy for Afghan peace talks has agreed to testify before a House committee after the panel threatened to issue subpoenas if officials would not appear at a hearing.Zalmay Khalilzad, the special representative for Afghanistan reconciliation, will testify before the House Oversight Committee's national security subcommittee when he returns from an official trip to Doha, Qatar, the panel said in a news release Monday. require(["medianetNativeAdOnArticle"], function (medianetNativeAdOnArticle) { medianetNativeAdOnArticle.getMedianetNativeAds(true); }); "I am grateful to U.S.

KABUL, Sept 19 (Reuters) - At least 12 civilians were killed and more than 10 others injured on Saturday in twin airstrikes on a Taliban base in the northeastern Afghan province of Kunduz, a provincial official said.

JALALABAD, July 20, 2020  -- Photo taken on July 20, 2020 shows a U.S. forces base which has been handed over to Afghan border forces in Dih Bala district of Nangarhar province, eastern Afghanistan.   The U.S. forces in Afghanistan have evacuated five military bases and handed over them to Afghan forces, a local TV channel reported on July 15.    © Xinhua News Agency JALALABAD, July 20, 2020 -- Photo taken on July 20, 2020 shows a U.S. forces base which has been handed over to Afghan border forces in Dih Bala district of Nangarhar province, eastern Afghanistan. The U.S. forces in Afghanistan have evacuated five military bases and handed over them to Afghan forces, a local TV channel reported on July 15. "The United States took the decision of evacuating the five bases in accordance with a peace agreement signed between the U.S. and Taliban militants in late February this year," Ariana News TV reported. (Photo by Saifurahman Safi/Xinhua via Getty) (Xinhua/Saifurahman Safi via Getty Images)

Defense ministry officials in Kabul, who said more than 40 Taliban fighters had been killed in the strikes, did not confirm any civilian casualties. They said an investigation was underway into the incident which comes as the warring sides hold peace talks.

Attacks surge in northwest Pakistan as Afghan peace effort brings shifting sands

  Attacks surge in northwest Pakistan as Afghan peace effort brings shifting sands Attacks surge in northwest Pakistan as Afghan peace effort brings shifting sandsISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Militants have stepped up attacks on security forces in northwest Pakistan raising fears of a revival of their insurgency and a return of lawlessness as brighter prospects for peace in Afghanistan herald shifting Islamist alliances.

"The first strike hit the Taliban base but the second one caused civilian casualties as they had gathered at the bombed site," said Fatima Aziz, a member of parliament who represents Kunduz.

She said 11 civilians were killed and five people were missing in the Khanabad district of Kunduz province.

According to another witness, the airstrikes left 12 civilians killed, including children, and 18 others injured. The witness said that several Taliban militants had been killed.

The Taliban issued a statement accusing Afghan forces of killing at least 40 civilians in the airstrikes. The hardline militant group did not comment on casualties among their fighters.

Fighting between Afghan forces and the Taliban has continued even as representatives of the government and the insurgents gathered last week for historic peace talks aimed at ending two decades of war.

The negotiations are a result of a deal between the Taliban and the U.S. signed in February, which also paved the way for the withdrawal of all foreign forces by May 2021.

(Reporting by Abdul Qadir Sediqi in Kabul, Sardar Razmal in Kunduz; Writing by Rupam Jain; Editing by Gareth Jones and Mike Harrison)

Decision in Breonna Taylor case sparks new protests .
Global eyes are on renewed racial justice protests in the US, with demonstrations again erupting in several cities around the country in response to Wednesday’s announced decision not to charge Kentucky police officers for the shooting death of Breonna Taylor. And, Hong Kong police arrested Joshua Wong and a second pro-democracy activist on Thursday for having joined a rally last October. Also, North Korean troops shot and killed a South Korean official allegedly trying to defect to Pyongyang before setting his body on fire out of fear that he had the coronavirus.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 0
This is interesting!