World 2 wounded in knife attack at former Charlie Hebdo office in Paris
Knife attack leaves two injured near former office of Charlie Hebdo in Paris
Two people were injured in a knife attack that took place near the former office of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris. © Provided by Washington Examiner Authorities said an attack took place just before noon on Friday as a trial is taking place over the 2015 attack on the paper. French Prime Minister Jean Castex confirmed a "serious event" had taken place while cutting a public event short to attend to the matter. "An attack with a bladed weapon was carried out in the 11th arrondissement in front of the former offices of Charlie Hebdo,” Castex said.
Paris — Police in the French capital arrested one man after a stabbing attack outside the former offices of the satirical newspaper on Friday. The Paris Police later confirmed there were no other suspects being sought.
'The Comey Rule' Actor Amy Seimetz Calls the Events 'A Precursor to What's Happening Now'
"Regardless of how you feel about the FBI, there's an interesting story being told," Seimetz told Newsweek.Anderson's role was integral to these matters, and Seimetz's portrayal of the FBI lawyer reflected the FBI's aplomb and discretion.
French Prime Minister Jean Castex confirmed the attack, which police said had left two people wounded. Both victims, believed to be employees of a video production company that uses the office building, were left in serious but not life-threatening condition, according to the police.
The Paris prosecutor's office opened a terrorism investigation into the stabbing not long after the suspect was apprehended on Friday.
Elite police intervention units were on at the scene and a security cordon was quickly put up around the area.
The building in the eastern 11th district of Paris was the scene of the carried out by brothers Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, who entered the offices on January 7 and killed 11 people, including eight Charlie Hebdo editorial staffers.
Virginia governor and first lady test positive for COVID-19
He said he is asymptomatic.
As they fled the scene, the brothers killed a policeman who had been posted on guard outside the newspaper's offices, after it received numerous threats.
Those threats related to Charlie Hebdo's publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad. Muslims believe his likeness should not displayed or published, and millions took offense, sparking huge protests across the Muslim world.
The two brothers were later shot dead by police.
A trial for that attack opened in Paris on September 2. The newspaper marked the occasion by of the Islamic prophet. Al Qaeda recently renewed its calls for attacks targeting the newspaper, which now operates out of a secret, heavily-guarded location.
Charlie Hebdo journalists continue to receive threats, but its defiant director Laurent "Riss" Sourisseau, who was among those injured in the 2015 attack, vowed in the edition published earlier this month: "We will never give in. And we will never give up."
USA TODAY/Suffolk Poll: Joe Biden leads Donald Trump by 7 points in battleground Minnesota
Both Trump and Biden have taken their campaigns to the Gopher State to battle for working-class voters.Teen Faces 40 years for Charges Incurred While Allegedly Being Sold for Sex
It has taken five and a half years for the case to come to trial. In that time, investigators have pieced together the chain of events that led to the attacks, first on the Charlie Hebdo offices, then two days later at a Jewish supermarket in a Paris suburb.
Initially police thought the second attack was the work of a copycat. However, in building their case, investigators found the two were closely coordinated, and that the Kouachi brothers and Amedy Coulibaly — who killed a policewoman on January 8 and then four men during the hostage-taking at the Hyper Cacher supermarket on January 9 — had several accomplices in common.
On trial are 14 people accused of helping the Kouachi brothers and Coulibaly. They face a range of charges including providing material support, funding, buying weapons, and procuring a getaway car for the attackers. They face possible sentences between 10 years and life imprisonment.
Fighting continues in Nagorno-Karabakh: Azeri defence ministry .
Fighting continues in Nagorno-Karabakh: Azeri defence ministryThe ministry said in a statement that the opposing forces attempted to recover lost ground by launching counterattacks in the directions of Fuzuli, Cebrayil, Agdere and Terter.