World Sudan launches mass disarmament campaign with bang in the desert
Sudan says US deal on embassy attacks reparations 'close'
Sudan's acting foreign minister said Thursday that a compensation agreement for the families of victims of two 1998 attacks on US embassies in Africa is within sight. "We are very close to getting that signed and done with," Omer Gamareldin Ismail told reporters during a visit to Geneva to meet United Nations refugees and human rights chiefs. "As Sudanese we think that if we can do it yesterday, it is better for us, because we can move on to something else."Ismail stressed that he was not aware of any deadline set by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, although the US administration is pressed for time ahead of the November 3 presidential election.
Sudan's army launched a disarmament campaign Tuesday to seize all illegal weapons in a country left awash with guns after decades of civil war, by blowing up 300,000 firearms.
"Our country has suffered enough," said Lieutenant General Ibrahim Jaber Ibrahim, a member of the sovereign council, the highest body in the country, at a ceremony in the desert.
Sudan rejects linking removal from U.S. terrorism list with Israel ties
Sudan rejects linking removal from U.S. terrorism list with Israel tiesSources said this week that U.S. officials indicated in talks with a Sudanese delegation they wanted Khartoum to follow the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain and open ties with Israel.
"We are going to take very strict measures to prevent the possession of weapons," Ibrahim said, speaking at the Hager al Assal base, some 200 kilometres (125 miles) north of the capital Khartoum.
"They must remain exclusively in the hands of regular forces."
Multiple civil wars have raged in Sudan on and off since independence in 1956, including the 1983-2005 war that led to the secession of the south, and the devastating conflict in the western region of Darfur that began in 2003.
The Geneva-based Small Arms Survey, a research organisation, calculates there were 2.76 million illegally-held weapons in Sudan in 2017, or 6.6 guns for every 100 people.
Sudan needs 'deep' debate before any Israel deal: PM
Sudan's Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok has said that normalising ties with Israel was a "complicated" issue needing wide debate within society, media reported Sunday. On Saturday, Hamdok was questioned by reporters on the two issues of lifting US sanctions and normalising ties with Washington's ally Israel.Earlier this month, Israel signed US-brokered deals to normalise ties with the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
As well as Darfur in the west, ousted president Omar al-Bashir's Islamist regime fought rebel forces in the east and in the southern states of Blue Nile and Southern Kordofan.
Video: Palestinians rally against Bahrain-Israel normalisation (Al Jazeera)
The weapons destroyed Tuesday had been "voluntarily" handed in over the past three years, the army said.
"Now it is no longer on a voluntary basis," said Abdel Hadi Abdallah, the general heading the disarmament campaign. "It is mandatory to hand them over."
The disarmament campaign follows a ceasefire deal last month between Sudan's government -- which took over following Bashir's ouster in 2019 -- and rebel commanders from the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) coalition.
Former voice of the Reds' Thom Brennaman on homophobic slur: 'I know I hurt a lot of people'
Former Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman spoke about the homophobic slur he used, saying he's hoping to make a difference in the LGBTQ community.Nuggets remind lakers they're no pushovers after Game 3 win
The peace deal aims to end nearly two decades of conflict that have killed hundreds of thousands of people, particularly in Darfur.
Rebel fighters are to be slowly incorporated into joint units with government security forces.
One Western diplomat warned Tuesday it was "not certain that the armed groups will allow themselves to be disarmed".
Holdout rebels have also refused to take part in the deal.
One group, the Darfur-based Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM) faction led by Abdelwahid Nour, launched an attack on Monday, the army said.
Another, the South Kordofan-based wing of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) led by Abdelaziz al-Hilu, has signed a separate ceasefire.
That deal allows rebels to keep hold of their guns for "self-protection" until Sudan's constitution is changed to separate religion and government.
Enough evidence to try S. Sudan forces over starvation tactics: UN probe .
South Sudan's government forces and other armed groups have deliberately starved civilians, UN investigators said Tuesday, adding there should be enough evidence to try Juba's forces for "crimes against humanity". In a fresh report, the UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan found that both South Sudan government forces and opposition fighters intentionally starved civilians during the country's civil war "as a method of warfare." TheIn a fresh report, the UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan found that both South Sudan government forces and opposition fighters intentionally starved civilians during the country's civil war "as a method of warfare.