World Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenia and Azerbaijan accuse each other of having violated the new truce
Azerbaijan, Armenia report shelling of cities despite truce
BAKU, Azerbaijan (AP) — Azerbaijan has accused Armenia of attacking large cities overnight in violation of the cease-fire deal brokered by Russia that seeks to end the worst outbreak of hostilities in the separatist Nagorno-Karabakh region. The Azerbaijani authorities said Sunday that nine civilians have been killed and over 30 wounded after Armenian forces fired missiles overnight on Ganja, Azerbaijan's second-largest city, and hit a residential building. According to Azerbaijan's Prosecutor General's office, the city of Mingachevir also came under missile attacks early Sunday.
The ceasefire will only last a few hours. Azerbaijan and Armenia rejected this Sunday the responsibility for the violation of a new "humanitarian truce" entered into force at midnight in Nagorno Karabakh, a week after a first ceasefire concluded but never respected.
The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry claimed that Armenian forces “blatantly broke the new agreement”, denouncing enemy artillery fire and morning attacks along the front line. A spokesperson, Anar Eïvazov, said that separatist attacks targeting four localities (Agdere, Fizouli, Hadrout, Djebrail) had been repelled.
Earlier, Armenian Defense Ministry spokesperson Shushan Stepanian reported Azerbaijani artillery and rocket fire north and south of the front during the three hours following the start of the war. truce. The Nagorno-Karabakh army also reported an enemy attack in the morning in the south, reporting "casualties and wounded on both sides." “But civilian infrastructure and homes were not targeted by gunfire. »
Nagorno-Karabakh - the conflict we can't ignore (opinion)
While the world is preoccupied with the Covid-19 pandemic, the regional conflict in the remote separatist enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh is threatening to escalate into a wider war on the doorsteps of Europe and Asia, writes Michael Bociurkiw. The conflict requires careful handling at a time when Russia and Turkey -- already on opposite sides in proxy wars like Syria and Libya -- have become involved and Iran may be poised to enter the fray. While President Hassan Rouhani said he hoped to "restore stability" to the region, the Iranian Border Guards commander said his forces have been placed in "necessary formation" after claiming that shells and rockets have landed on Ira
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev announced the conquest of a bridge in the village of Khoudaferin, in the south, on the border with Iran. On Twitter, he posted a video showing soldiers standing at attention in front of a stone bridge with the Azerbaijani flag flying on it.
Eşq olsun Azərbaycan xalqına! Qarabağ Azərbaycandır!- İlham Əliyev (@azpresident)
Azerbaijan has achieved territorial gains in the past three weeks without winning a decisive battle. Baku has so far not revealed the cost of the conflict, releasing no military, material or human toll. The separatists admit having had to retreat but assure "control the situation". Officially, they have lost nearly 700 men, and half of Karabakh's 140,000 inhabitants have been displaced.
Azerbaijan strikes inside Armenia as Karabakh fighting widens
Azerbaijan said Wednesday it destroyed missile launchers inside Armenia that were targeting its cities, an escalation that threatens to further draw regional powers Russia and Turkey into the conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh. Hundreds have been killed in two weeks of fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed region, and continued clashes have rendered almost meaningless a ceasefire agreed in Moscow last week. ArmeniaHundreds have been killed in two weeks of fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed region, and continued clashes have rendered almost meaningless a ceasefire agreed in Moscow last week.
Video: Azerbaijan: rescuers search for rubble after a bombardment in Ganja (AFP)
Fight "so that this ends forever"
In Stepanakert, the separatist capital, the night was very calm. In the morning, everything was silent, as most residents fled the bombardments since the fighting resumed on September 27. “Our country wants to respect the truce but the others ( Editor's note: the Azerbaijanis ) will not do it. We cannot believe them, ”says Sveta Petrosian, 65, questioned in the deserted streets. His two sons are at the front.
On the Azerbaijani side, relative calm also reigned in the town of Terter, near the front, the bombardments having ceased after 12:30 a.m. Then they resumed from noon for two hours, “but not as hard” as the last few days, says Elchad Rezaïev, a 35-year-old resident. “I don't know if the ceasefire will last and I don't care. They killed our women and our children, ”he says, adding that he wants to go and fight“ so that this ends forever ”.
Nagorno-Karabakh volunteers get weapons as clashes intensify
MARTUNI, Nagorno-Karabakh (AP) — As the fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces rages on in the separatist territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, its residents are joining volunteer squads to defend their towns. The Ovanisyan family and their neighbors were called Wednesday to receive their Kalashnikov rifles to help protect Martuni, a town close to the front line in the eastern part of the region. “I was summoned to the recruitment office to give me a gun so I can defend my land. I am always ready to fight for the well-being of my children," said Valery Ovanisyan, a 64-year-old Martuni resident.
The resumption of fighting three weeks ago left hundreds of people dead. Nagorno Karabakh forces announced the deaths of 40 more soldiers on Sunday. But the losses are arguably much higher, with each side claiming to have killed thousands of enemies.
A new escalation on Saturday
This new truce comes as the head of Russian diplomacy spoke on the phone Saturday evening with his Armenian and Azerbaijani counterparts. French President Emmanuel Macron for his part "welcomed" the humanitarian truce.
After a first failed ceasefire attempt under the aegis of Moscow, the conflict escalated again on Saturday. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev has vowed to “avenge” the deaths of thirteen civilians, including children, who perished in a night bombing of Gandja, the country's second city. Many houses were destroyed by shelling which also left more than 45 injured, according to the attorney general.
The Armenian separatists had noted for their part that Gandja shelters "legitimate targets", evoking an air base and military sites. A few hours before the strikes on Gandja, shots had targeted the towns of Stepanakert and Choucha in Nagorny Karabakh.
Turkey has accused Yerevan of “war crimes”, while the EU once again called on “all parties to stop targeting civilians”.
Armenian-Americans have accused Azerbaijan of attempting to revive the 1915 Armenian Genocide as conflicts between the 2 countries persist in Nagorno-Karabakh .
"The idea would be to create a pan-Turkic region, and essentially eliminate Armenians from that region period," Mariam Khaloyan said.According to Armenian officials cited by the Associated Press, Turkey, a longtime supporter of Azerbaijan, is directly involved in the clashes and has sent mercenaries to fight. Turkey has denied those claims.