World An Orthodox priest shot and wounded in Lyon, the fleeing author
Festival of Lights 2020 in Lyon: cancellation or maintenance? Response mid-November
Faced with the cancellation announcements broadcast in certain media, the mayor of Lyon reaffirmed Friday morning that the decision whether or not to maintain the event would be taken in mid-November "depending on the health situation". © Provided by Franceinfo Will the Festival of Lights 2020 take place despite the health crisis? Contrary to what has been broadcast by some media, its cancellation has not yet been recorded.
The priest was closing his church at the time of the incident. He is in serious condition.
An Orthodox priest of Greek nationality was in serious condition on Saturday after being shot with a sawed-off shotgun in Lyon. The attack took place at around 4 p.m. in thedistrict, in the 7th arrondissement. Its vital prognosis is engaged. The perpetrator is on the run.
An investigation has been opened by the Lyon prosecutor's office for "attempted murder". "No hypothesis is ruled out, nor privileged," said the prosecution, which said it was "in close contact" with the national anti-terrorist prosecution, which was not seized. At this point, the shooter's motives are unknown.
Lyon. The suspect of the bomb threat at the Part-Dieu station placed in psychiatric care
© JEFF PACHOUD / AFP Due to a bomb threat, rail traffic was blocked for more than three hours at Lyon Part-Dieu station (photo), Thursday 22 October. A 51-year-old woman is said to have threatened to detonate a bomb on Thursday 22 October at Part-Dieu station in Lyon (Rhône). She had been arrested and taken into custody. Friday, October 23, she was admitted to psychiatric care.
The priest was closing his church when he was attacked by a lone man. Two detonations were heard by residents and a municipal police patrol, detailed the prosecution. An individual was seen fleeing. The victim was found "at the back door" of the church.
Video: Attack in Nice: the toll rises to 3 dead and several wounded (Dailymotion)
Aged 52, the religious was hit at least once in the abdomen. He was picked up by the emergency services before being transported to hospital.Crisis staff activated , the man, the father of a family, was the only one with the keys to the building. The government has left an exemption until Monday inclusive for places of worship to celebrate All Saints' Day despite the confinement.
On site, the area was cordoned off, and soldiers intervened to establish a security perimeter around the church. The mayor of Lyon Grégory Doucet visited the site. The Interior Ministry's crisis unit was activated just after the incident. The Prime Minister announced at the end of the afternoon that he was joining Gérald Darmanin there, at the end of his visit to Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray (Seine-Maritime) where he was to check the protection system of the buildings religious activists after the attack on the Notre-Dame basilica in Nice which left three dead Thursday morning. "Serious events have just occurred in Lyon, I do not yet have specific information on the circumstances surrounding this act," said the Prime Minister.
"Our determination will not weaken": Jean Castex reacts to the attack on a priest in Lyon- BFMTV (@BFMTV)
After the Nice attack, Emmanuel Macron has decided to increase the strength of Operation Sentinel from 3,000 to 7,000 soldiers. These.
Greek Orthodox priest shooting: French investigators consider 'personal dispute' .
Investigators are "leaning towards" treating Saturday's attack on a Greek Orthodox priest in Lyon, France, as a "personal dispute," according to a source close to the investigation. © PHILIPPE DESMAZES/AFP via Getty Images Security and emergency personnel respond to the shooting in Lyon on Saturday. The source added, however, that they are "not ruling out the terrorist explanation," although it is becoming "less and less believable." The 52-year-old priest was shot in the stomach and remains in hospital.