•   
  •   
  •   

World Nigerian general dismisses bloody Lagos protest videos as fake

23:40  21 november  2020
23:40  21 november  2020 Source:   reuters.com

Nigeria: Army denies firing on peaceful protesters

 Nigeria: Army denies firing on peaceful protesters © Benson Ibeabuchi Protesters in the streets of Lagos, Nigeria, October 20, 2020 The Nigerian army has denied firing live ammunition at peaceful protesters, declaring on Saturday before a commission of inquiry that only blank bullets had been fired in the face of crowds gathered in Lagos despite a curfew last October. The #endSARS movement against police violence rocked Nigeria throughout the month of October and degenerated into riots against power, violently repressed by the police.

Then video footage shows there was darkness as the street lights were cut off. Days before, a message had spread on social media that military officers would In one emotional video the voice of a man, singing the anthem, rose above the chaos and then began to quaver as the shootings increased.

The army and police claim they did not fire into the crowds at the Lekki toll gate protest last month in Lagos , Nigeria . So where are the missing demonstrators?

By Alexis Akwagyiram

a group of people sitting at a desk: Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo speaks during a judicial panel in Lagos © Reuters/SEUN SANNI Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo speaks during a judicial panel in Lagos

LAGOS (Reuters) - A judicial panel investigating claims that Nigerian soldiers shot dead peaceful protesters in Lagos viewed videos on Saturday appearing to show people hurt or saying that they were being fired on, but an army general dismissed the footage.

a group of people sitting at a desk in an office: People attend a judicial panel in Lagos © Reuters/SEUN SANNI People attend a judicial panel in Lagos

Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo, who heads the army's 81st Division in Lagos, also said soldiers had been deployed to the protest with both live rounds and blanks, having previously told the panel only blanks were used.

'The soldiers kept shooting:' witnesses testify in Lagos protest probe

  'The soldiers kept shooting:' witnesses testify in Lagos protest probe 'The soldiers kept shooting:' witnesses testify in Lagos protest probeLAGOS (Reuters) - Nigerian soldiers shot dead peaceful protesters at a demonstration in Lagos last month, trucking away the bodies, said written witness testimonies submitted to a judicial panel on Saturday but contradicted by an army general.

Protests against police brutality in Lagos , Nigeria , turned bloody despite a state-wide curfew. Eyewitnesses told CNN that multiple demonstrators were shot by soldiers. CNN's Eleni Giokos reports.

Protests against police brutality in Lagos , Nigeria , turned bloody despite a state-wide curfew, with eyewitnesses telling CNN that multiple demonstrators have been Nigerian governor urges calm as witnesses say soldiers fired on protesters . Protests against police brutality in Lagos , Nigeria , turned

The panel is looking into allegations that the army and police last month opened fire on and killed people protesting at the city's Lekki Toll Gate against police brutality.

The protests were largely peaceful but triggered some of the worst civil unrest since Nigeria's return to civilian rule in 1999. They climaxed in the events of Oct. 20, in which the rights group Amnesty International said soldiers and police had killed at least 12 protesters in two districts.

a group of people standing next to a man in a suit and tie: Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo speaks with the counsel for the Nigerian Army, Akinlolu Kehinde and others during a judicial panel in Lagos © Reuters/SEUN SANNI Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo speaks with the counsel for the Nigerian Army, Akinlolu Kehinde and others during a judicial panel in Lagos

Both the army and police have denied killing demonstrators.

The panel on Saturday watched surveillance camera footage of events at the toll gate on the evening of Oct. 20 as well as videos submitted by others.

Man accused of shooting two police officers at Breonna Taylor protest indicted by grand jury

  Man accused of shooting two police officers at Breonna Taylor protest indicted by grand jury Larynzo D. Johnson faces two counts of first-degree assault and 33 counts of first-degree wanton endangerment.Larynzo D. Johnson faces two counts of first-degree assault and 33 counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, the news release said.

The protesters were forced to take refuge inside the Computer Village before regrouping and resisting the fierce police officers. As soon as the police officers noticed that the protesters Are you a music fan who wants to be the first to watch the newest music videos of Nigerian pop-stars and rock-bands?

The Defence Headquarters has dismissed the torture videos being circulated on social media and alleged to have been perpetrated by military. A Nigerian newspaper and Online version of the Vanguard, a daily publication in Nigeria covering Nigeria news, Niger delta, general national news

One video, supplied by the army, appeared to show a person lying in a pool of blood. "We discovered it was a fake video," Taiwo said, adding that the footage had been found online.

The panel viewed other videos including one where a voice, amid the sound of gunfire, said: "They are shooting at protesters". Another showed a crowd, where a woman shouted: "They are shooting at us!"

Taiwo said: "Many of these videos there were manipulated."

In his testimony last week, Taiwo said soldiers had fired blank rounds only, into the air, to disperse protesters. But on Saturday, he said soldiers had been sent with live rounds too.

"The soldiers would be given both live and blank bullets," he said. "We saw that these protests had been infiltrated by some hoodlums. That is why they were armed with blank ammunition in addition to the live they were carrying."

(Reporting by Alexis Akwagyiram; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Aussie 91-year-old survives paragliding crash .
A 91-year-old Australian man has survived a paragliding crash, walking away with only minor injuries after plunging into the ocean near Sydney's northern beaches. The elderly paraglider was helped out of the water by locals after he went down near Warriewood around 6.00 pm Sunday, police said. Emergency services were called to a cliff face near the site, where paramedics assessed the man had escaped with just cuts and bruises. Local mediaThe elderly paraglider was helped out of the water by locals after he went down near Warriewood around 6.00 pm Sunday, police said.

usr: 2
This is interesting!